Need Professional Logging Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregfox

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've just acquired 30+ mature shagbark hickory and bur oak trees that were live blow downs this summer. Most are 24-36" in diameter and several are very straight. I told the land owner I would haul out logs and he is fine with that but I can't bring in a logger because he will want the $. He actually piled up30" trees and tried, but failed(because they were green), to burn them. I have a dump truck and skidsteer to load and haul them out. How long should I cut the logs for sawmills? I can pick up 4000-5000 lbs. I can haul logs 20-24' long (I've talked with a local logger that will buy from me he said cut them 10'8",12'8", and 14'8" ect. He said that oak and hickory are worth around $1 per boards foot. Is this correct?) Does anyone know where else I can sell them either delivered or picked up, I could load semi's. I'm in nw Indiana. I am on a limited time frame and have to get them asap before someone else cuts them for firewood as a few others have permission to get the wood. So my plan is to make a big pile of logs at my place and either deliver myself to a mill(if I can find one,everybody seems to want to cut themselfs?), or have them picked up. Worst case I'm gonna have a ton of prime firewood. I also have some black cherry and red oak that I plan on logging out. And the logger made me realize my mistake on the black walnut I just cut up for firewood. Thanks for any advice

See if your state dept of agriculture div of forestry posts local prices mills pay per board footthem try to locate a close mill paying a decent amount go visit with them they may have some one to haul too

In my area red oak is $280/1000 and I didn't ask about hickory since I didn't have any on the ground. They priced cherry at $650-800/1000 depending on grade.

Call the mills. They will tell you what lengths to cut--if they want to buy the wood. In our area, mills are very specific about proper lengths.

Also, ask about how much trim.

Find a mill that will send someone out to look at them and possibly buy them. Find out their trim allowances and you will have to cut random lengths according to taper, sweep, and defect. My lengths are 8' 8", and 10s, 12s, 14s, and 16s, get 6" of trim. In hardwood you are going to get more bf with shorter logs. I cut a lot of 8s, 10s, and 12s. Very few 14s, and 16s. Without looking at them there is no way of knowing what grade you are even looking at. You may end up with a lot of work and little pay (most likely either way).

Find a mill that will send someone out to look at them and possibly buy them. Find out their trim allowances and you will have to cut random lengths according to taper, sweep, and defect. My lengths are 8' 8", and 10s, 12s, 14s, and 16s, get 6" of trim. In hardwood you are going to get more bf with shorter logs. I cut a lot of 8s, 10s, and 12s. Very few 14s, and 16s. Without looking at them there is no way of knowing what grade you are even looking at. You may end up with a lot of work and little pay (most likely either way).

I appreciate all the advice so far. Hopefully I'll make a few bucks but I am looking forward to the project. I have always just cut firewood but have so much that I am going to try logging these. Worst case I'm gonna have a bunch of wood. I'll post pics when I can

Latest posts

Back