Need small cheap saw for wife-recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtfallsmikey

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
God Bless my wife!...She wants to get more involved with helping me out with woodcutting....She's used my MS-170/290 on occasion, but I want to get her something cheap in the 30 cc. range so if she tears it up whilst learning to use it, I'm not out a lot of $$...recommendations please.....Had to get my SIL to shorten up some chaps for her too.

God Bless my wife!...She wants to get more involved with helping me out with woodcutting....She's used my MS-170/290 on occasion, but I want to get her something cheap in the 30 cc. range so if she tears it up whilst learning to use it, I'm not out a lot of $$...recommendations please.....Had to get my SIL to shorten up some chaps for her too.

:cheers:

What a good wife you have!! Mine is the same way!! It's awesome isn't it!! :D

The MS170 is a great little saw for the wife to use. I had one for a while, but it got an air leak and it burned up on me a couple of months later. I made a good deal with the dealer and I got an even sweeter deal on an MS211. It's a great little saw and the wife loves it. Problem there is the deuce-eleven is just about $300 after tax. I doubt you wanna be out that much if the wife makes a few unforgiving mistakes....

You already have an MS170. I say keep using that until she gets better and maybe think about a deuce-eleven.

Any way you slice it, you can't beat having the wife WANT to run a saw!! :cheers:

find yourself a used echo cs346. they weigh something like 7 lbs. this saw is super reliable... she will not be able to kill it. they start easy and start every time too.
the cs346 has enough power to cut smaller stuff yet it is a bit slower spinning (maybe safer?) than your average saw because it is a reed valver.

i sold mine like a dummy... i still miss it when trimming and pruning around the yard.

Why small and cheap? Isn't she worth investing in? I bought my wife a Husqvarna 440e and its worked out well. Light wt for the brush and branch type work she does around the fence line, but snappy enough for 10inch and down firewood. Only issue was to learn the best way to use its goofy multi function choke/throttle to set hi-idle controls to start and then start again warm.

We also have a Stihl MS180 and she has choice. I think if and when she wears out the 440e, something like a Stihl MS260 Pro w/ decompression button will be next. Light, plenty of power, and solid reliable.

If and when she wants to be more involved with my hobby, she will end up with a 60cc or smaller J-red as thats where this enthusiast is headed. Right after another 4x4 500cc plus utility Quad so its easier for us to work together out on the farm.

So...I asked her what she thought and the response was not exactly what I expected.

Question:..you've had a lot of time (About 4 years) with a small Homelite (33cc muffler modded and good bar & chain) and your Husqvarna 440e..if we were to start again which would you want to start with?

Answer: "Once I figured out how to start it...the Husqvarna."

Why?:

Answer: "Because it cuts faster. I got more impatient and frustrated with the little saw to where I was pushing harder and getting into more problems."

She went on to say that the biggest block to any womens experience is the starting issue. If she can't get it to start easily, she will get frustrated won't like it reguardless of what it is. Thats across all mechanical venues, saw to quads.

So guys...when you are talking about an under $1000 dollar purchase..why skimp!!!! Especially when its about getting the most important person in your life involved with something important to you! My suggestion? Find the saw that makes entree into the wood working & cutting world safest and easiest & therefore most rewarding.

I would also consider one of the Dolmar or Stihl assisted start saws if starting is an issue..as it was in the beginning for my wife. (The MS180 C-BE, MS211 C-BE, & MS250 C-BE w/ Spring assist takes away the need for that "snap" in the pulling motion..one of the big hurtles for smaller people) Once she got it down, she can start and run anything I have. Have the size based on the work....our fence clearing and trail maintenance is small and sometimes over head..weight was the big issue after starting. So the second saw/power tool ended up being a Stihl KM110R..with the hedge trimmer attachment that also folds to where you can get under fences....$500 bucks of the best tool investment ever for this barn yard!

Last edited:
find yourself a used echo cs346. they weigh something like 7 lbs. this saw is super reliable... she will not be able to kill it. they start easy and start every time too.
the cs346 has enough power to cut smaller stuff yet it is a bit slower spinning (maybe safer?) than your average saw because it is a reed valver.

i sold mine like a dummy... i still miss it when trimming and pruning around the yard.

That would be a great saw for a woman, be looking for a used one in the swap meet soon....

What about a piped 026PRO with an 044 carb? I hear they cut great!
I know that if I bought a saw for my sweetie-pie she'd want to "race" through cuts. And she's not a very good loser. You should get her something that you wouldn't mind having to run too, it's pointless for her to "help" if she isn't going to enjoy it.

Weimedog nailed it. One of the biggest impediments to learning how to do anything is the notion that a beginner should start out with inferior equipment.
As anyone who has tried to learn guitar on a poorly set up, plywood cheapie can attest.

Weimedog nailed it. One of the biggest impediments to learning how to do anything is the notion that a beginner should start out with inferior equipment.
As anyone who has tried to learn guitar on a poorly set up, plywood cheapie can attest.

True, to a certain extent.....My wife is pretty rough on my OPE.

I learned how to play banjo on a plastic-bodied Sears Silvertone....

For 2 of the BEST "small saws", that to me, are bullet proof for easily a decade ... I have to agree with the previously stated: "Stihl 200T(020T) & the 260 pro" I have seen both on Craigslist recently, stated "like new", for $200 each. They disappeared in a heartbeat, but "WERE THERE TO BE HAD!"

I have mainly Johnny's, but have the right model number on any name saw, and I'll get use to running it!

Tell ya what buy something quality,my girlfriend uses my ms260 pro. Take some time to teach her the proper techniques and get a pair of chaps. If you buy something cheap, you will have to fix is and you will never hear the end. the 170 or 290 are both good inexpensive saws.

Head out to some garage sales or pawn-shops. I found my homelite Super 2 at a garage sale for $5. and have scored several others for under $30-40. You'll end up spending very little and could end up with a better saw than some $150-200 new model (albeit a little old).

Post pictures of your wife so we can get an idea what saw will go good with her....:cheers::cheers:

Back