Need solid advice...new here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willys

Reaction score
Hi guys:

Yep another wet behind the ears poster!!! lol

My question is....I am in the market for a new saw. Made the mistake years ago to give up my Stihl for a small piece of junk which died soon after using it for longer than 20 hours!! My fault!!!

I am not planning on clear cutting the neighborhood so a mid range or light duty Stihl is the way I would like to go.

Which one?????

I have people saying the small MS 180C is a good choice but....is kind of small. The MS 270 is the start of the mid use saws and looks good but there is a huge jump in cost for a light use needed.

My other question is...what is the difference between the home owner saws and the mid range saws mechanically??? Do they have an hour life similar to the garbage saws like a craftsman, pouhlen,sears etc??? If so I will not even consider a consumer saw.

Please be gentle..lol

Thanking you in advance

Willys

Not enough time for me to go into differences, mechanically, in saws [and there are many others here more qualified...] but my brother-in-law just made the same move you are contemplating. He was using a Mac and it is at the point of needing some work. I outlined what I thought it needed, and he ultimately decided to get a new one rather than pour a bunch into his old one. He's impressed with my Stihl 036 Pro, but at $500+ for the comparable new model, he ultimately decided on the MS 250. He has 7 acres of trees, building a home on it when he retires so is clearing some, none over 8" diameter. Plus, he cuts firewood for himself, only about a cord a year, at most. Few other chores with the saw. In other words, general use. His dealer, in Texas area, wanted $300 for the saw with 18" bar. It is perfect for him. Don't know if $300 is in your price range, but there is one idea....

Yes, the MS 250 is a good choice.. It has an 800 to 1000 hour expected engine life.... If you want something bigger at not much more price, the MS290..

My choice, (much more money) is the MS 260.

Wow, 800 hours + :jawdrop: An asteroid will destroy the Earth before my 250 quits...:biggrinbounce2:

Lakeside53 said:
Yes, the MS 250 is a good choice.. It has an 800 to 1000 hour expected engine life.... If you want something bigger at not much more price, the MS290..

My choice, (much more money) is the MS 260.

+1.

The MS180 is a fine saw, without a doubt, but it is best in its role as a second saw for light trimming, limbing, and clean-up. If you are only going to have a single saw, I would aim for something in the 45-60cc range, depending on your intended use.

Since I'm assuming that $450+ is not what you're aiming to do, a new MS260 is probably out. That said, you might want to ask around here in the trading post section, I've seen a couple MS260s go for under $300 lately; the one that went for $210 is sitting in my garage :clap:

For Stihl saws that can be had new for about $300, I've had great luck with the MS290, it is a very reliable and durable saw for the non-daily saw user, and performs and balances well with an 18" or 20" bar. Likewise, people I know who have used the MS250 have been similarly pleased with that model, too, though it is at its best with a 16" or maybe 18" setup. I think that you would be quite pleased with whichever of those best meets your needs in terms of bar length and power output.

Oh, and not to forget - welcome to Arboristsite!!

New saw!

Congradulations your a chainsaw junkie like the rest of us!

I also agree with the fact that a little more saw will pay off with more power, longer life and a happy owner. The mentioned saws above would be good examples of quality, high end, low priced professional grade saws!

Welcome, willys! The only dumb question is the one not asked!

Hey Willys-
Ya haven't said how often your 'new' Stihl will be used. Is it daily (all day?), weekly or occasional? For hire or personal use?
Me, I'm a homeowner scrounging about 5 cords of firewood a year. Got a MS290 with 18" bar 4 years ago and never regretted it. Cost about $300 back then.
If your use is more frequent than mine, maybe a pro model (more dollars) is what you need. But this MS290 has always done what I asked of it.

I have a 025, and a couple of other saws. on this site the 250 gets a room temp response and I feel most underate the saw. I have had terrific luck I am ecspecially please with the power to weight of the saw. It is not much more weight than a 180 but has goobs more power. The 260 is really the hot ticket but the price may be prohibitive and frankly for what you are doing the 250 is more than enough saw. If you get one have them put on a rs chain that is one of the biggest improvements. I can't emphasize enough how handy this saw is and although the 290 is the same price and has a little more power and I am sure it is a very dependable saw but the 250 is a lot lighter and will be much more pleasurable for a part time user.
As I have said before I have a couple of other saws but if I was going to put money on one saw that I know I could go out to my shed give the saw a couple of pulls and cut a cord it would be the 250. It truly is a joy.

Buck

If you buy the 250 and you are not pleased you can always take it back and trade it for what you need, I think you have 7 days to do so.

Willys.

I will repeat what others have said. If it fits the bill, get a MS250/025. This is the saw I started out with and still own. It will do a lot of work for you. I have used this saw to fell tree's and cut firewood for a while. Then again now I use my MS460 to cut twigs.:D:chainsaw:

David

ButcherGY54 said:
Willys.

I will repeat what others have said. If it fits the bill, get a MS250/025. This is the saw I started out with and still own. It will do a lot of work for you. I have used this saw to fell tree's and cut firewood for a while. Then again now I use my MS460 to cut twigs.:D:chainsaw:

David
I find myself using my MS460 on twigs sometimes too.My 025 would be better as it is so much lighter and has quite a bit of power.Never owned the 018 but my first saw was a 017.The 025 has put my 017 on the shelf for a few years.

Another nod for the 025/ms250. Really good machine w/o getting into too much money. Then later you can easily justify a 361 or 440 and still have some cash to get you started :D ...

I'd recommend a 16" bar on it even though lots run 18's. If you really need an 18 you really need more saw IMHO...

Chaser

Last edited:
WOW!!!!!

Thanks guys for the quick responces! I went to the semi local dealer yestrday and asked all the informative questions I could think of and was told that the 260 was the saw of choice if I was willing to go that far in price???$550.can. I could but I will only be using the saw occasionally for clean up limbing etc so I asked the differences internally between the homeowners grade and the mid range saws. I was told that they are basically equal internally but the home owners grade saw bodies were made of hard plastic and the mid range saws are made from magnesium(?). Now the question is...will I use the saw enough to damage or warp the plastic casing over time of should I double the cost of the saw and get the 260??? I realize ...you get what you pay for but...will I get the use out of the 260 to warrant the doubling of cost??? The 170 is $259 can.

Has anyone bought the 170 saw and had any issues with the plastic casing??
Or any other problems with this saw.
Yes I should buy the 260 ....I know...but for the amount of use I will get from it is it really worth it??
Yes I know the answer and dont know why I'm asking ...but???

Thanks again
Willys

I had the 170 and used it for about 1 year. Great little saw for the little work I was doing. I took down a 20" oak and a 3 smaller trees. I also did the limbing on a 30 something inch maple. I really liked that saw. While doing the maple I realized I needed something bigger and got the 250. I did not know how much I would like the extra power too :). The plastic is not flimsy at all. For your needs, I would not even let the plastic vs. magnesium be a factor in your choice. You should be more concerned about power, weight, bar length.

I will miss that 170 for its ease of use. If I do any more aloft work, I will either borrow that saw from my neighbor or I will get a top handle.

For what you were describing, the 250 would be fine. The 260 would be very very nice. If you have the extra cash then why not get the 260. It would be overkill for what you describe right now. However if you think your needs and your desire to do more sawing might grow, then it would be a cheap investment for the 260.

In short, its your choice. The 250 would be great for what you describe. I wouldn't recommend the 260 unless you are going to use the saw more than you describe or if you have the bug. It would be a bit of a waste otherwise. I don't have the need right now but I do have a the bug so I am on the lookout for a good used 260, lol.

I have a MS180C (the pre- 4 mix model) and am very pleased with it. As long as you know it's limitations it'll work great for you and last a long time.

I cut down a 22 inch or so willow tree with it, bucked and limbed it. I wouldn't want to do it again with that saw but it is capable of doing so. Avoid the temptation of putting a 16" bar on it. It's a dog with anything larger than the 14" bar.

Back