Need some expert advice on heating a ranch home with 3/4 finished basement.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npd2408

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a ranch home figure about 2000 Sq. Ft. with electric baseboard heat. In the finished part of the basement we have a Jotul System 3 fireplace insert. The insert is built into a brick surround with top vents for heat venting and the front brick below the insert are vertical with no mortar in the cracks to allow cold air to come through. Well cant heat my house with it, but it does help.
I am in the process of putting up a chimney on the east side of the house next to the unfinished part of the basement. I was looking at one of the US stove wood furnace models. I will have to put ducting in to the kitchen that will be above the stove and a line into the living room that is still in the unfinished part of the basement (next to the kitcken). If I have to I will in the future run a trunk line to other parts of the house. What do you guy's think will this work? Love cutting wood don't mind it at all. Sucks with having no ducting already, and electric heat. Any ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

I feel your pain. No ductwork in mine either. I am going to have to cut vents this year to help keep kids rooms warm.

I feel your pain. No ductwork in mine either. I am going to have to cut vents this year to help keep kids rooms warm.

I hear ya got a 13 year old and a two year old. he already has been getting chilly.

If you're going to take the time and run duct work in your kitchen, you might as well just do the trunk line as well. That's the best way to get the most out of your furnace.

have you tried starting a fire and seeing how warm your upstairs gets? you may be surprised how much comes up through an uninsulated floor. like others have said, i'd simply cut a few little vents and see how that goes.

Guess once I get the Wood furnace we will see what options. Any one have a U.S Stove ? If so whats the good and Bad. Thanks again for your help.

Is the wood furnace going in the unfinished part of the basement? I think that's what you are saying, if so, let her rip and just cut a vent or two into the floors above. If you do duct it with a trunk and all, don't forget a cold air return line.

Sounds good. Just found out today we dont have the funds for a new stove. Got to look for a used one. hopefully I could find something half decent for cheap. sounds like i should wish in one hand and * in the other. Oh well thanks again for your help.

we have vents cut into our floor and it really made a big difference. We have a stone ranch with full basement un-finished right now and a Alaska Kodiak free standing stove. I had it to about 80 upstairs for the past few days. The floor vents really made a big difference. This time of year it's cold at night but not during the day so i burn it until like 10pm and i'm good until the next day arond 7pm to start it up again. In the morning it'll be like 77 inside and by tomorrow night at 7pm it'll be down to about 72 or 70 inside.

Once winter gets here i have to keep after it more for sure but the floor vents made a huge difference for us.

Well thanks for the response. Santa is coming so the chimney is going in and looking for a cheap stove until Santa gets paid off.

Latest posts

Back