Need some pro advice on MS 440 vs. MS441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the way i see it.
If you cut a little firewood on the weekends a 440 or 460 is a good choose.
If you hang onto a saw for 4 to 8hrs a day every day or even most days the 441CRMTronic is a far better tool for the job.
In stock form comes close to a 460 power wise and a ported one is bees knees as far as i am concerned.
Wrap model MTronic
Heaps better AV
Heaps better filter system
Less fuel and fumes
No tune
Easy start system
Twin bumper spikes
Roller chain catcher
Stiffer AV springs
Large clutch cover (better for noodling)
High out put oil (for 28'' plus bars)
If you dont like the wrap handle just change it to a standard one.
:clap:

Some guys carry on about how long is the electronic system going to last radyra,winge carry on.

Most firewood cutters don't put many hrs on a saw per year and don't they have a two year warranty anyway.
The guys that use them for a living will say that the out put produced by that saw has payed for its self many times over,and the over all gains in production,user friendly ergonomics,maintenance and so on far out way the cost of a replacement electronic system IF it ever sh_ts itself.:D

Does "AV" stand for anti-vibration or something else?

Ooops, see Slamm has it covered.

And will just say that the dealer had a new 440 sitting on the shelf, had to order the 441c-m, but I just couldn't see paying more for a less powerful saw. I am sure the 440 is a great saw though, if you went that route, I figure you'd be happy.

I'm no logger, barely a firewood hack, sadly my 441M-Tronic hasn't even had a tank through it yet.

Hate to repeat myself, but when I do run it, I can't think of much more to say than it is a pleasure to run. Easy to start (starts on the first pull when hot, even cold sometimes), no fiddling with tuning it, great air filtration, it has much better anti-vibe than my Shindaiwa 500, and best of all, seems to have an angry personality about it.

I do wish I would have went ahead and got the wrap version, if for nothing else for the high output oiler.

Some guys carry on about how long is the electronic system going to last radyra,winge carry on.

Most firewood cutters don't put many hrs on a saw per year and don't they have a two year warranty anyway.
The guys that use them for a living will say that the out put produced by that saw has payed for its self many times over,and the over all gains in production,user friendly ergonomics,maintenance and so on far out way the cost of a replacement electronic system IF it ever sh_ts itself.:D

I checked and the main electrical part is only like $75, heck as much as I like mine, I'd give that every month, there just isn't an easier saw to cut production wood with.

Some people like to or enjoy messing around with tuning saws, and that is fine, but until they put a tach on their saw and see how many "in the cut" rpms they are loosing, by running what they think is a fast, proper tune and what actually is a fast and proper tune for all weather, altitude and temperature, they don't see how much they are fooling themselves, because you can't "out tune" the Mtronic, and for sure you can't advance or retard the timing to make for higher torque or easier starting .......... and not burn up the saw in the process.

After running both saws, regular and Mtronic, next to each other, and I know how to tune, and I have tachs on all the saws and can tune each one to the fastest "in the cut" setting, and you have to tune a regular saw about 3 times per day to get the fastest rpms out of it all day long, the Mtronic is always cutting fast or certainly to a higher percentage of its ability, than a human tuned saw.

Sam

440 is old school and the 441 is the new cool. Ill take the new cool any day but the 440 is a lot easier to work on.

I checked and the main electrical part is only like $75, heck as much as I like mine, I'd give that every month, there just isn't an easier saw to cut production wood with.

Some people like to or enjoy messing around with tuning saws, and that is fine, but until they put a tach on their saw and see how many "in the cut" rpms they are loosing, by running what they think is a fast, proper tune and what actually is a fast and proper tune for all weather, altitude and temperature, they don't see how much they are fooling themselves, because you can't "out tune" the Mtronic, and for sure you can't advance or retard the timing to make for higher torque or easier starting .......... and not burn up the saw in the process.

After running both saws, regular and Mtronic, next to each other, and I know how to tune, and I have tachs on all the saws and can tune each one to the fastest "in the cut" setting, and you have to tune a regular saw about 3 times per day to get the fastest rpms out of it all day long, the Mtronic is always cutting fast or certainly to a higher percentage of its ability, than a human tuned saw.

Sam

Well said Sam,i think we have covered it all in the last few post,if they don't wont to be leave then that's fine but we know what works for us.:)
All i can add is bring on the 261, 461 , 661 and 881 MTronics.:clap:

Yeah Stihl has re-released the MS440. I was told due to popular demand on the west coast. They did not say for how long these would be available....I am not even sure how they could pull it off with the EPA being what it is..

Had a Stihl dealer a few towns over tell me that it's been re-released on Stihl's EPA carbon credits. So long as they've got 'em, they'll be putting 440's out the factory door. He said he wouldn't be surprised to see them go on and off the shelf as they gain, loose, or trade their carbon credits.

441 or 440

I like the 441 but for some reason unknown i always pick the 440 old habits die hard.

Latest posts

Back