Need some saw info please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjmorrow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just picked up a Homelite XL-12(red) from the second-hand tool shop near my home. It was very dirty, the chain was off the bar and in a knot, and it wouldnt run. After a good cleanup, I was able to make it run, but i am wondering if anyone has any manuals for these saws? I know they were made for quite a few years. Also i have found conflicting information on mix ratio as well. Any help would be much appreciated, as i cant bring myself to spend several hundred dollars on a plastic saw.

Welcome to arboristsite and congratulations on your purchase. Those are good, solid saws and if yours is in good running order you should be able to get a lot of use out of it.

As for mix, 32:1 was what Homelite suggested with the lower-quality oils of the day, and you could probably run 40:1 semi-synthetic or full-synthetic if you wanted to have a one-mix-fits-all for all your 2-stroke outdoor power equipment.

Here's some info:

XL-12

Homelite xl12 info

Thanks for that. Would anyone happen to have a parts list or manual in pdf or similiar format for this saw ?

My dad has had an XL-12 since 1972 and it's still going strong. He's cut a many a trees with that old saw. He runs a bow bar on it. Keep a check on ebay for manuals, parts list etc. I'll see if my dad still has his manual. I've always ran Stihl brand 50:1 mix in all my equipment, even the 32:1 40:1 rated equipment, and it has done fine. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back