Need some suggestions on a new entry-pro level saw purchase...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro is relative to the job at hand. Compared to the Poulan it is a giant leap. If you are only cutting down a handful of trees 2+ feet in diameter the saws listed will do just fine. Don't get swept up in the "70cc or nothing" crowd. You can cut down a 3 foot diameter tree with an 18" bar.

If you are looking at the MS290 and 450, based on those 2 saws alone I would get the MS290. Parts are easy to find and cheap, not to mention that it has the CC advantage over the 450. I know you are looking in a specific price range, but the 455 or 460 would be a good choice too. They might be a little more expensive but it is a more capable saw and more comparable to the MS290.

I hear ya PB, but a 36" tree w/an 18" is a lot of work.... :msp_crying:

Yep

IMG_3462.jpg

Most guys here don't like home owner plastic cased saws. That said, they are okay and will last a long time if taken care of. I am husky guy so I would recommend nice used 359. I will run a 20" bar with out any problems. Muff mod it and you've got a nice saw. Also you can pick up manufactured husk 455 pretty cheap. The only con's to them are the oiler doesn't tolerate dirt. The a/v mounts are really soft when new and don't take to much abuse. And finally they are a wee bit portly.

My .02

Mike

There is a 359 at a pawn shop near me that has been there for a couple of months. It looks very nice and priced at $319 I think. Has a 20-22" bar. I kind of want it only because I have no Huskies and know it would make a nice saw. I am resisting at this time though. It looks as it has had very little use. I think it had a safety chain on it which I thought odd of that, but maybe that is an indication it has been a lightly used homeowner saw.

There is a 359 at a pawn shop near me that has been there for a couple of months. It looks very nice and priced at $319 I think. Has a 20-22" bar. I kind of want it only because I have no Huskies and know it would make a nice saw. I am resisting at this time though. It looks as it has had very little use. I think it had a safety chain on it which I thought odd of that, but maybe that is an indication it has been a lightly used homeowner saw.

There ya go, Landrew, the perfect saw for you. Offer them $250 and pay Struggle to ship it to ya.

Is that work worth an extra $400 and lugging around a bigger saw for the smaller stuff? There are trade offs, but if it were me, I would want to be handling a saw that would manage 90% of my cutting needs and work a little bit harder when I need to. If you are cutting 16" firewood all day long, there is no need to spend $800+ on a saw that will pull a 24" bar.

You know that old saying, "work smarter, not harder".

:cheers:

That would make a great saw for you. I am surprised that somebody has not recommended a 2100 for you yet!!!! Like Wendall said talk em down and be prepared to leave at least 1 time. CJ

Is that work worth an extra $400 and lugging around a bigger saw for the smaller stuff? There are trade offs, but if it were me, I would want to be handling a saw that would manage 90% of my cutting needs and work a little bit harder when I need to. If you are cutting 16" firewood all day long, there is no need to spend $800+ on a saw that will pull a 24" bar.

You know that old saying, "work smarter, not harder".

Actually yes. IMO, if a man is gonna burn firewood then he needs a big wood saw. It could also be a back up saw as well. :) But I certainly see what your saying. If he is not gonna burn wood then there is no need. But still yet, a man can always find a good used big wood saw too. I suppose "its all good" :)

Last edited:
MS290 edges out Husky 450

Thanks for the perspective PB, I appreciate a balanced response given my obvious novice position :)

Pro is relative to the job at hand. Compared to the Poulan it is a giant leap. If you are only cutting down a handful of trees 2+ feet in diameter the saws listed will do just fine. Don't get swept up in the "70cc or nothing" crowd. You can cut down a 3 foot diameter tree with an 18" bar.

If you are looking at the MS290 and 450, based on those 2 saws alone I would get the MS290. Parts are easy to find and cheap, not to mention that it has the CC advantage over the 450. I know you are looking in a specific price range, but the 455 or 460 would be a good choice too. They might be a little more expensive but it is a more capable saw and more comparable to the MS290.

I bought my first Pro saw last week Husqvarna 288 xp. I have been running the homeowner smaller saws for years. I wish I would have got one years ago. I still have a couple small saws for the limbing and small stuff. If you are cutting big buy big.

Wait for the Hurricane!!

Let all those folks who have one tree fall in their yard to run out buy a new chainsaw then resale a couple of weeks later. Watch craigslist for a super deal.

Common predicament for many people and really no right or wrong answers either. Decide what your budget is and if you really want new or can live with a used saw (which ~generally~ gets you more saw per $$$ spent).

I have easy access to two very large metro areas (Chicago & Milwaukee) so there are more dealers than you can count, I shop the best deals between them all and am not afraid to buy online either.

Quick 30 second look online and for $400 or less, you can buy a lot of saw these days:
* eBay Makita DCS6401 20" lightly used $399
* eBay Makita DCS510-18 new $411
* eBay Makita DCS460-18 new $355
* eBay Echo CS-450 new $350
* eBay Husky 455 Rancher remanufactured $299
* Farm/Fleet currently running 10% off all Husky saws
* Many quality used saws on the classifieds on the site too

Personally I feel my Husky 353 is the best value and most over-achieving saw I've been around and used, but needed something a bit bigger, so 2 years ago I really wanted either the Husky 359 or Stihl MS361, both new were just a bit beyond my $$$ threshold (preferred new at that time). Local Husky dealer made a very good offer on a Husky 460 & a local Stihl dealer an equally good offer for the MS310. Even though the Husky was a bit cheaper, the Stihl just seemed a tad better put together, better balanced, more refined for what I needed it to do. Scooped it up and have been super happy ever since (well until I just picked up a clean used MS440 to replace it!).

Unless you are sponsored by a brand and they give you free stuff (don't care if it is cars, shoes, chainsaws, or tooth brushes) brand loyalty isn't worth diddly. Find a deal you are comfortable with and run with it.

Actually yes. IMO, if a man is gonna burn firewood then he needs a big wood saw. It could also be a back up saw as well. :) But I certainly see what your saying. If he is not gonna burn wood then there is no need. But still yet, a man can always find a good used big wood saw too. I suppose "its all good" :)

I am assuming he IS burning wood. It's easy for some of us (myself included) to convince ourselves that a 70cc saw is needed, when in fact a 50-60cc saw will do just fine. I can only think of one instance where I didn't have a big enough saw, and that was with a 5' dbh maple. Assuming you can justify the expense of another saw, a bigger saw would be nice. If you can't justify the expense, go for a good all around saw and I think the MS290 and 455 fill that gap very well.

Unless you are sponsored by a brand and they give you free stuff . . . brand loyalty isn't worth diddly.

Not necessarily. If you have a good relationship with a dealer that supports one brand, that is worth something. Depending upon how many saws you have, it's nice when you can share or swap parts - bars, sprockets, spark plugs, bar nuts, filters, etc. Also nice when the controls work the same, when servicing/fixing them is similar, use the same tools, etc.

(PS - I also like my 353 for cutting things within its range).

Philbert

Wait for the Hurricane!!

Let all those folks who have one tree fall in their yard to run out buy a new chainsaw then resale a couple of weeks later. Watch craigslist for a super deal.

Good idea! That's what made me buy my very first saw... but I kept it and bought more.:D

Thanks to all for the feedback... Finally went with the Stihl MS290

After reading everyone's learned responses I went with the Stihl MS290. Came home to a large limb down from a small storm that came through, maybe an omen I don't know. I figure this will likely be a gateway to bigger and better saws as I learn more about felling trees. I appreciate everyone's input on this. I'll take my time learning safe practices and maybe tagging along with experienced local arborists.

PS. I did look at a couple of local pawn shops, cragslist, etc. but the saws I saw (hah) looked a bit rough and the prices didn't make it worth the risk.

Congrats, enjoy the saw!

Philbert, my point was more the blatant brand loyalty "I'll only ever own brand X" and never even consider other brands just to say they only run one particular brand- like it's some sort of status symbol or something. :givebeer:

Congrats, enjoy the saw!

Philbert, my point was more the blatant brand loyalty "I'll only ever own brand X" and never even consider other brands just to say they only run one particular brand- like it's some sort of status symbol or something. :givebeer:

Naaa, owning one brand of saws is supply simplification. I do not want to deal with have multiple types of saw bars types (8.2mm - 9mm - 12mm -14mm) and chain counts for the same lengths( 20" 72D vs. 20" 70D). I own husky saws because of the better a/v and filtration systems then stihl, though stihl is catching up. There is a lot of part interchange with most of the husky saws that I own. That is my working saws, not my vintage saws that are for collection purposes only.

Most guys can't or will not own as many saws as us for economic reasons. I do not see saws as "status symbols" ,they are a work tool that allows me to heat my house for a very low cost. Now my desert eagle collection could be seen as status symbols, but they get used to put meat in the freezer! Again, just another tool in the tool chest to fix what ever problem that comes along!

My .02

Mike

Latest posts

Back