Needed to talk - struck by fatality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Need To Talk,
Hi ya buddy,just to let you know were thinking about you,chin up.
All the Best.

I needed to read that as a lesson, thank you, I've been too overconfident recently....I'm sorry it happened. IMHO, wasn't your fault, when your time is up, that's it. Just my opinion though. I know that prob doesn't help, but I will learn from this poignant post.

Safety

You know what's funny about safety? NOTHIN'!!
I feel for,not only you,but the family of the victim.Unfortunately,in our business,a person cannot be 100% safe 100% of the time.We don't take chances,we take calculated risks.I advise not only you,but everyone reading this,to get each climber a referee's whistle and use it as a safety device.Trust me,you can hear one over a saw and chipper.I have been in the tree care industry for almost 30 yrs,and have always promoted awareness on the jobsite.The best thing we can learn from an accident,is how to avoid the same thing from happening to the next guy.Just this past Nov a year ago,a fellow arborist went through his own chipper.Perhaps you heard about it.It was just a few miles South of my hometown,Ft. Collins,CO in Loveland.The guy had well over 40 yrs exp,and yet made a fatal mistake and got chewed up by his own chipper.The odds? 1 in 200,000.The freaky part is that I bid on the same job.So you never know.Don't beat yourself up over it.And the "what ifs,how come and why mes?" will continue to haunt you until you decide that you did the best you could.

whistle

I too have one I cant stand yelling headake no more gets
my throat sore. This topic hurts me too; everyone i know in the biz,
has had a close call or two and thats the ones practicing safety! I
have had numerous safety awards and close calls as well.

Its usually when doing the impossible ,my prayers are with you!
Hurts to see a brother in pain dont beat yourself up on this ,it is
everyones responsibility for safety; not just the one making cut.

When you feel better get back on the horse that bucked you
you are not a failure you are a man with moral fiber and by sharing
the message eyes do open!

The helper is up there and wants you to recover ,the healer is
with him and discussing your road, and I know your going to take
that road bumps and all because he has told me.

Last edited:
Just another note of thanks to all those that have sent prayers and thoughts. While being theraputic for me I can also be satisfied that this experience may be used as a training tool to educate those in the business about the dangers involved. My sincerest thanks to all.

While being theraputic for me I can also be satisfied that this experience may be used as a training tool to educate those in the business about the dangers involved.
You've given us that. We feel your pain. And as fellow tree men, our awareness and seriousness has been heightened.

Hang in there, friend. All accidents, tree-related or otherwise, generally happen in a flash. None of us are exempt. In your case, your ground worker, had he been one step to the left, or to the right of where he was would have resulted in a close call. It was a result of being in the wrong place in that fraction of an instant in time, that being characteristic of just about any 'accident'. Regardless of the people or the circumstances, that's what accidents are.

Going back to work with this heavy weight upon your shoulders, the thought of it even, is probably agonizing beyond description. But you must feed your family. As hard as it is to grasp, you are a wiser man because of this and I'm confident nothing like this is likely to ever happen to you again. You'll see to that.

Hi,
I know this happened a while back , But I was just sitting here wondering how you are? . I sincerly hope you are coping and going forward.
All The Best

I am so sorry you had to witness such a horrific accident. My prayers are with you and the fallen groundsman's soul and his family. My biological father was killed in a freak timber cutting accident when I was a kid, and my mom re-married another logger. I have had the fear and safety issuses in my head since I was seven. My biological father's partner has never been the same, watching him get killed and having to leave his body to go find help on the radio.... I know kinda how you feel. Don't let it beat you up too much. If the guy was not a NEWBIE THAN HE SHOULD HAVE HAD A HELMET ON!!!! You are not at fault. Still, I am so sorry for all of you, it really stings.

Latest posts

Back