Neighbors Killing My Trees (with ??)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesutton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a row of hybrid poplars along my southern property line. They are four yrs. old now and about twenty feet tall. I built our house here on two acres in 1999 and soon after the property south was developed into a residential development. There are three lots along this section which is elevated about six feet, which gives them a view of the valley. Back when we found out that the development was going in, we look into what we wanted to do to keep our privacy. Evergreens were ruled out because they would shade that area in the winter. We decided on the poplars because of their fast growing and our privacy would be mantained in short order. One day while working on our landscaping, someone came down and asked if we had any intensions of building a barn in front of the corner lot above and that they were interested in building a house there. I told them no but we are going to plant trees along the property line there. They built and I planted the trees. On the second year things started getting nasty. We're blocking their wonderful view and the view is why they built their dream house there. On the third year trees started dieing infront of their windows. I finally paid a tree arborist to look into what was going on. He did a thorough exam ($800.00) and between him and a guy from the Oregon dept. of agriculture found that they had been poisoned with herbicides, possibly by injection. Five trees died completely with six making a come back. Last year all leafed out normally at same time but this year I'm having the same problems as I had when this started. Trees in front of his place not leafing out with the rest of them. Nowhere else along the property line am I having this problem. I'm sure he has hit me again. Two years ago the Oregon dept. of agriculture and police dept. contacted him and he denied it. I also posted a $1000.00 reward sign on light poles in his neighborhood. One would think that he would have stopped!! Almost forgot this, He works for a company that deals with agriculture chemicals.
I would appreicate any info. here and comments. Thank You, Gene

genesutton said:
I finally paid a tree arborist to look into what was going on. He did a thorough exam ($800.00) and between him and a guy from the Oregon dept. of agriculture found that they had been poisoned with herbicides, possibly by injection. Five trees died completely
Gene, did they get tissues form the plants and the soil analyzed, and the toxin identified?

Were the trunks examined for the injection holes?

How far from the lot line were they planted?

2manyhobbies, I'm sure it was done at night and it's really hard to catch him with 365 nights a year. Times on his side there.

treeseer, trunks were examined found what they think were injection holes. Trees are about four feet from line. Analyzing soil for ? toxin is the hard one. They say it's very costly unless you narrow the possiblies.

Thanks, Gene

Even too much fertilizer can do it. Easy to do. Kills from the ground up.

One option is to try out one of those cameras they sell in sporting goods stores for hunters to take photographs of game in the areas at night. I believe decent ones run at or around $100. Should be able to get some sort of photograph. You could also rig up a motion sensor to send an alert somehow to the house if anything is detected. Razor wire and land mines are also an option but may be illegal in your jurisdiction, as always check local laws before attempting. :p

The best solution is to try to find a tree that makes you both happy. Could a smallish tree provide the privacy you need and leave a view for the nieghbors?
If he wants to keep killing the trees I'm sure he can. And even if he's caught in the act, what'll happen, a fine? So what.
In my home town there, was a subdivsion built which had a great view of the sunset. to the west a guy came in a built a pond, putting the fill right where he could block the view of the old subdivision, you guessed it, blocking the view of the sunset for them.
I mention it because it's kind of a similar situation, depending on what sde of the fence you live on, so goes your opinion of what's right. Is it whoever settles first should be allowed to do as he pleases, is it do as you please on your own property, or does the exsistance of natural resources dictate who is right?
I would hate it if I moved into a wooded area, then had a neighbor cut down all the trees. I think there needs to be some limits on distruction of natural recources, irregaurdless of who might own them. (In this case the view might be the natural resource)

Mike's right about agreement, but that seems unlikely at present. Maybe if they like fragrant flowers, you could plant some Robinia pseudoacacia, a fast-growing tough and beautiful tree. :angel:

If they came after you did, they should not expect the right to view a borrowed landscape. Still it'd be nice to negotiate a shared landscape plan along the border.

Sorry the soil test is so high. Any toxin detected in the wood? Sure would be nice if you could post a picture of those holes. ;)

Sorry your neighbors a jerk. Sounds like he lost any chance for comprimise. It's hard to be the better man sometimes. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Keep those poplars tall and healthy!

There’s a lot more to this story and I ‘m sure I could write a book about it. I think another reason is before the trees created any problems another developer came along and bought the property (7 acres) on the west and north side of me. I had a road easement running through that, along the southern property line (800 ft.). Now we’re talking about 8 houses in that subdivision that their view is going to be effected. The developer and I did not come to terms on what I wanted for my easement and tried to get his development approved by going around me. Planning commission denied his plan. Now I’ve got about $5000.00 in attorneys fees, with no help from above, which I really didn’t expect or want. I’m now a big hero to these home owners in that subdivision (their view saved). Now the developer and I are back at the table and come to an agreement. He gets his approval and guess who is the #!*? now. Bye the way there is a short street for future development access between these houses that dead end into my road. There are three houses backed up to me now, two have no problem with the trees and enjoy the privacy. The one in question must have and I really think their encouraged by the others down the line were their views were blocked by houses. The list goes on and the story seams to continue but in my book what you do on your side is your business as long as it’s legal. My neighbors to the west and north are great and enjoy the trees I planted there. I am planning legal action, which I was hoping what took place two years ago would have avoided doing. I feel now that what ever I plant and he objects will go by the way side. I also have a 250+ year old white oak that blocks his view of Mt. St. Hellens. Will That Be The Next 3am Herbicide Run??????? I’m beginning to think the answer lies in the barn made of metal (so not to be burned) to put an end to the view issue and maybe save my oak. I’m becoming very paranoid as you can see.

Yeah, folks who buy a little acre lot but then want property rights to all the lots around really annoy me. If you want a view, buy the land surrounding your view if it's that important. If a person couldn't afford to buy the land and someone blocks his view on thier property, said person has no right to complain--such is life.

Spacey, What is wrong with you man? Logic and personal responsibility. Art thou mad? Look out -before you know it you will be a Libertarian. :p

Try using a deer cam. It works on infared and takes night pits with a flash. Day time pits too without flash. Just got to hang it high enough so if dude caught the flash going off at night he couldnt just take it or bash it. Needs to be within 10-30 feet for flash to get them good. About $65 at walmart called stealth cam. 35mm. Good luck catching this (__!__).

I think your reward idea is fantastic, post it everywhere so the guy looks like the village idiot. Find out where he works and post it there too, like this

$1000 CASH REWARD
for INFORMATION LEADING TO THE CONVICTION of the lowlife who has been poisoning trees on my private property at bla bla bla on the fenceline with Mr bla bla bla. Not only has this lowlife been killing my trees but tresspassing to do so. Lab tests have shown traces of herbicide which was injected into the trees thru a small drill holes. If you know anything, including possible suspects please come forward as this is a heinous crime carrying serious penalties, how would you feel if it were happening to you? We do not need these criminals in our own back yards, come forward now.
Contact bla bla bla

Make sure you absolutely hammer the wanker, put one in his letterbox everyday. Post them at the pub, restaurants, everywhere the idiot goes ... his name will be mud and the guilt may lead him to move.

Ekka said:
I think your reward idea is fantastic, post it everywhere so the guy looks like the village idiot. Find out where he works and post it there too, like this

$1000 CASH REWARD
for INFORMATION LEADING TO THE CONVICTION of the lowlife who has been poisoning trees on my private property at bla bla bla on the fenceline with Mr bla bla bla. Not only has this lowlife been killing my trees but tresspassing to do so. Lab tests have shown traces of herbicide which was injected into the trees thru a small drill holes. If you know anything, including possible suspects please come forward as this is a heinous crime carrying serious penalties, how would you feel if it were happening to you? We do not need these criminals in our own back yards, come forward now.
Contact bla bla bla

Make sure you absolutely hammer the wanker, put one in his letterbox everyday. Post them at the pub, restaurants, everywhere the idiot goes ... his name will be mud and the guilt may lead him to move.
Actually, when I see something like this, it makes me think the person who composed it has mental problems. No one responds well to name calling.

spacemule said:
Actually, when I see something like this, it makes me think the person who composed it has mental problems. No one responds well to name calling.

Sort of shot yourself in the foot have you? :dizzy:

I'm telling you seer, the tone of that letter is of a pissed-off whiner, and it goes a lot further than saying "lowlife." The speaker is so busy telling us how ticked off he is that he implies an air of irrationality and incredibility. Heinous crime? Give me a break!!!

Back