never mind the safety gear, we're You-Tubin!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you get a good set of calks you'll wonder why you ever went slick shod.

I know. They would only get used 25-30 times a year but probably worth it. You have any experience with Hoffman ones? I've got the regular sole from them. There's not any reviews on the corks.

I like walking a log limbing and could use extra traction.

Needing to stand on a 35° icy log while trying to buck a 3 foot tree on a steep hillside this past weekend pretty much solidified it for me. I wanted some before, but at that moment, I was cursing myself for not making it happen sooner.

Pulling the bar out and drawing the tip through the kerf is sometimes the best way to go in large logs.

This log had side bind and top bind. A lot of both. It was spring loaded in two different directions and if the cuts were made wrong it could move quickly in a direction that would have hurt the cutter. Watch how the different cuts slowly release the bind.

You have to have enough tricks in your book to adapt to different cutting situations.

http://s691.photobucket.com/user/gologit/media/video/PA160108.mp4.html

And here I thought only us firewood hacks were the ones who did this stuff...
Beautifully "un-eventful"...
Another reason to know what you're doing, and why you're doing it...

I know. They would only get used 25-30 times a year but probably worth it. You have any experience with Hoffman ones? I've got the regular sole from them. There's not any reviews on the corks.

No experience with Hoffmans. I wear Wescos but if a guy wasn't wearing calks day in and day out there's probably no need to spend that kind of money.
I wore a pair of Bailey's while my Wescos were being built and they held up pretty good.

And here I thought only us firewood hacks were the ones who did this stuff...
Beautifully "un-eventful"...
Another reason to know what you're doing, and why you're doing it...
Thanks. It's supposed to be uneventful. Make your cuts and on to the next tree, all day long. No drama, no excitement. In the woods, boring is good. :laugh:

No experience with Hoffmans. I wear Wescos but if a guy wasn't wearing calks day in and day out there's probably no need to spend that kind of money.
I wore a pair of Bailey's while my Wescos were being built and they held up pretty good.

I can't see spending that much on Viberg or wesco. The Hoffman's I've got are over 2 years old. I would guess they'll hold up decent if they're made similar.

i have been on fire dept. 20 years and have made 2 chainsaw accidents ,both ended in deaths. 1 kick back down right shoulder at collar bone down to nipple. the other if he would have had chaps on the chances would have been he would have survived , the cut was between knee and groin area . cut femal artery down into femur. first man in his mid 70's second man mid 30's 250# as in fire service ppe not even second thought sop's. when i saw same priciple just my sop.[ standard operating procedures]

Forget the shorts, on that first "cookie" I thought we were going to witness a "do-it-yourself vasectomy":msp_ohmy:
I know a guy that actually did his own vasectomy. I think he's nuts but I guess he wanted a pro to do it. He's a surgeon by trade but not a urologist.

I take an economists view of PPE: If you don't wear it, you should have good health care. If you do not have health care, you should wear the PPE, and we as the tax payers should be able to refuse your ER treatment. Same thing with seatbelts and motorcycle helmets. Were all adults, but your choices should have consequences that don't involve me paying for your stupidity.

I take an economists view of PPE: If you don't wear it, you should have good health care. If you do not have health care, you should wear the PPE, and we as the tax payers should be able to refuse your ER treatment. Same thing with seatbelts and motorcycle helmets. Were all adults, but your choices should have consequences that don't involve me paying for your stupidity.

That makes sense to me.

Just as we shouldn't be paying for illegals' health care, IMHO.

Back