never mind the safety gear, we're You-Tubin!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guilty as charged.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U2S0I9cwS4s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U2S0I9cwS4s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I normally don't wear my PPE when making cookie videos, but I normally do when I'm actually working.

Man...
Who built that turd...???
You need to start over on that thing...
:big_smile:

Ive rolled outta bed, slipped on my flip flops and test ran saws for dad a lot. Its cookie cutting. Yes things can go bad, but its like riding dirtbikes/motorcylces. The instance you think you have it under control, it will show you otherwise. Always be aware!

:rock: But do have PPE minus steel toes. But big log falls or the tractor runs over me, its just gonna crush em off anyways

If Im just tuning a saw in the cut I will just grab a pair of ear plugs. If I am doing anything more Its chaps and helmet. If im out felling or doing firewood, I well wear steel toes, any thing else I dont. I figure the chance of it actually hitting the toe cap, and not glancing off to hit something else is so low, I dont find it worh it. I just wear them incase I drop a log on my foot. Now proper chainsaw boots are a differnt story.

I don't care if someone does or doesn't use ppe . its their choice, I' m not their dad.

I know better to use glasses, chaps, hearing protection, heavy leather steel toe boots minimum when cutting, never cut alone and so on.

It doesnt take a PhD to understand safety.

I am with you, and if someone chooses to not use safety gear and video tape it...... I don't feel bad laughing when they get busted up. :msp_biggrin:

Hearing protection: One thing to think about is that you can never get back hearing you loose by not using hearing protection. The highs go, then the rest slowley goes over time. But you can never get it back.

Tinnitus is a #####.... almost like youre wife whining at you all the time, especially when you're trying to go to sleep.....

And I've had it from way before I ran chainsaws or other noisy OPE..... in fact I mow with heavy duty earmuffs now, always use saws with heavy duty peltor muffs or helmet with muffs. In fact the 2095, only gets used with the fat muffs as the helmet muffs aren't good enough at blocking the noise.

Steel caps are my usual footwear with wood.... plus chaps, youngstown gloves etc.....

Noticed something else in a few YouTube videos:

LEFT handed saw operation....

CAM00109.jpg

Near as I can tell, LEFT handed operation puts the operator square in the kick-back zone??

Don't confuse this with reading the manual just cause I looked the the picture. I can read pictures all day long!

Do these guys like their LEFT leg, the "boys" or their neck & shoulder??`

AR

Safety gear should be a "last resort" item of protection. I am not talking about gloves and ear protection and eye protection, if you don't use these you are just plain dumb. I mean helmets and chaps, cut proof gloves and cut proof jackets...etc...etc. I don't always use the full range of saw PPE as it is just to hot here when it's regularly over 105 F when i'm working. If i always wore a helmet on the ground plus gloves, chaps and cut proof jacket i would die from exhaustion and dehydration long before i would die from any blood loss. :laugh:
When I'm climbing obviously it's a different story. Too many variables and too many things have the possibility of going wrong when hanging from a rope 30m in the air.

Good training and good sound saw handling technique (and following that technique ALWAYS) should constantly be used to minimise risks. If you are following through from a cut into your own leg or something similar i don't believe you should be handling a saw.

Just one example, I was taught to cut when bucking to always have the saw far to my right side and not to lean directly over the saw chain when cutting. That way in a kickback the natural arc of the saw will be to my side and not into my head. :dizzy: Seems a no brainer but so many people do it.

I cannot use a saw without PPE because i feel kinda naked without it. Even if i am just test cutting cookies while tuning a saw, i will ALWAYS have at least gloves, safety glasses and ear protection. Plus i cannot turn up at a job and expect people to take me seriously if i don't at least look professional in what i do.

I thought about counting how many times this guy swaps right/left. It makes me cringe seeing him draw the tip out through the cut.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. If that bloke knew the dangers of what he was doing, and had ever seen the injuries people get from being unlucky and using zero PPE, when doing the exact same thing he does with a saw that size, he would need new trousers.

It makes me cringe seeing him draw the tip out through the cut.

Educate me on the hazards of drawing the tip through the cut. NO, I don't draw the tip through the cut; it really never crossed my mind; but, I don't recall it ever being discussed on AS as hazardous. I am big on safety, so if something is unsafe I want to know. Thanks in advance.

Back