New 3120. But what to do with it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevethekiwi

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Greetings. I have aquired a new 3120 (incomplete). needs clutch oiler starter chainbrake coil etc. The case, p&c, handle, springs all brand new.

Seems such a waste to make it just another stock saw. Im going to have to spend time on it, so I might as well spend time making it into something I can show off. I want to make little children cry when they hear this thing started up. Demo / show / race only, its not for milling, firewood etc so anything goes.

So, what should I do? Talented engine builders who know anything about 2 strokes are a rare breed in NZ. But I have a good selection of p&c's they can practice on... I want to take this project further than muffler mod...

Im thinking bigger carb, higher compression, possibly bored / stroked, custom crank and rod if i can find one, better fuel, port size / timing, expansion chamber, transfer port mod... maybe even one of the carbon compsite pistons from dean if he can customise them...

This is the first project saw where I can really start from scratch and do anything I want. So, where do I start, and what do you think I should do to it?

The only down side to doing something like this, is c/s racing in NZ is run by stihl and they wont let me compete! Maybe ill start my own racing

Husky had a 3120 some time ago that was sent from sweden, running a $1600 chain, top fuel, bolt down head, and it won every record in its class for years, until stihl took over and kicked them out. Every time it ran they had to rebuild it...

Any advise appreciated! Sorry about the pic quality, was taken from my phone

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks

STK

a 272 coil is a good start. The factory one revs out WAAAAY too early.

3120 Coil And Flywheel Combo.

I think I have the unlimited coil, and the matching flywheel if you want it, or anyone else, I am selling for $150 total shipped. The same price as the coil at least as far as partstree.com says. So roughly half. Dave.

I think I have the unlimited coil, and the matching flywheel if you want it, or anyone else, I am selling for $150 total shipped. The same price as the coil at least as far as partstree.com says. So roughly half. Dave.

lol... thanks ultra and thechainsawguy, but im pretty covered for husky spares :clap: :clap: :clap:

fyi you also need to change the jet size if you convert to the unlimited coil type.

so the 272 coil works, and i only need 2 bolts instead of 3. i now have a light weight saw!

any more ideas for where to begin. keep in mind that i wont be competing against yall, so spill all those dirty little 3120 secrets :clap: :clap: :clap:

That looks like a great starting point and I would love to see where this goes. Question for you. Did someone part out the rest of the saw or was it put together from spare parts or something.

Just wondering. Good luck.

Adam

That looks like a great starting point and I would love to see where this goes. Question for you. Did someone part out the rest of the saw or was it put together from spare parts or something.

Just wondering. Good luck.

Adam

was a new saw that someone robbed parts off and tucked away. me and a mate of mine are itching to get this thing cranking!

Man, I do not think that I could rob parts off a brand new new. Anyway, I can not wait to see how this thing turn out. Hopefully there will be lots of pictures.

Adam

I do it quite a lot, if you can sell at least half the parts for list price, the rest of the saw is for free :)

Get that grinder out...

Status update???

I'd love to see before and after pics of your work on this project.

My 3120 sits at 12500rpm!!!

I matched, smoothed and polished the cases, I filled the lips under the barrell support for better flow and modded the muffler. The carb I have on it is stock, on my stock 3120 it ran too rich and the saw bogged, on this saw it runs mint!! Its running a worn piston and barrell (just to get it going to see if the exercise was worth it) and rings!! Running a 28" on it at the mo... hauls arse like a son of a turkey!!

:clap:

Latest posts

Back