New 346XP vs. 455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenPutnam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My wife bought me a new 346XP yesterday for my birthday to replace my old 455 Rancher. I love my 455 dispite it's bar oiling problems.

My question is will I notice a big difference between the 455 and 346 or should I go trade it for a bigger one? :msp_smile:

Also, has anyone found a fix for the oiling problem of the 455?

You will fall in love all over again. And at the same time you can relatively inexpensively fix your 455 oiler woes and have two great saws.

Don't know if the 455 has an adjustable oiler. If so, make sure its turned up to the max setting. Also disassemble around the oiler and make sure the output is clear of debris and the same on the bar, need to make sure the oiler is outputting enough oil to the bar and also that the bar is picking it up. If the oiler is turned all the way up and the ports are all clear it may just be shot again and needs to be re-replaced.

The 346XP is a totally different animal. Its got almsot 10% more power, is smaller, lighter and runs at a much higher rpm than the 455. You may never want to pick up your 455 again after you get the 346 broken in. Fix the 455 and use it as your loaner saw and to get the 346 unstuck.

Well Ben you have a nice wife.The 346 is light years ahead of the 455.Are you cutting good sized wood? if so the 372 might be better.I would keep the 346 sell the 455 and get the 372,take wife out to lunch.

I do have a great wife. :)

I just use my saw for firewood and an 18" bar does everything I need but I like having the best toys I can get my hands on.

I do have a great wife. :)

I just use my saw for firewood and an 18" bar does everything I need but I like having the best toys I can get my hands on.

Your wife demonstrated excellent judgement - by all means keep that 346xp! :msp_biggrin:

This reminds me of my own great wife (SawWitch on here). :cry:

PS; Are you sure that your bar heating issue isn't due to using dull chain?

How do I fix my oiler woes?

I was going to suggest replacing the oiler and the pickup, but I see you've already done that. At some point in 2009 that I don't remember they released an updated pump and pickup assembly to combat the oiler issues.

I keep a very sharp chain and it has the adjustable oiler turned all the way up.

I ran it the other day with the bar and cover off to see if it was oiling and it really wasn't, I could rev it pretty high and only get a drop every now and then. I'll order a new oiler and see what happens.

That 455 is a great saw, I know it gets a bad rap but I love mine and my neighbors are always impressed with it's performance when we go cut wood. Other than the oiling problem I had to have the dealer fix the carb once, probably because I never drain the fuel in the summer and I don't mix my fuel to any specific ratio, I just pour a bunch of oil in the tank then fill it up with fuel and go. I ruined the first oiler because I was using old motor oil for bar oil and some dirt or metal in the oil messed it up.

Make sure the bar groove is alwayse clean along with the hole that mates up with the oil hole on your saw. Not sure if this could happen but it could be burning up the oiler cause it can't spit the oil out anywhere.

I keep a very sharp chain and it has the adjustable oiler turned all the way up.

I ran it the other day with the bar and cover off to see if it was oiling and it really wasn't, I could rev it pretty high and only get a drop every now and then. I'll order a new oiler and see what happens.

That 455 is a great saw, I know it gets a bad rap but I love mine and my neighbors are always impressed with it's performance when we go cut wood. Other than the oiling problem I had to have the dealer fix the carb once, probably because I never drain the fuel in the summer and I don't mix my fuel to any specific ratio, I just pour a bunch of oil in the tank then fill it up with fuel and go. I ruined the first oiler because I was using old motor oil for bar oil and some dirt or metal in the oil messed it up.

That saw should be running at at least 50:1. You really need to be consistant with the oil/gas mixture to get the best performance out of the saw, otherwise you may cook the top end.

I havent had any experience with the 455, so this is just me guessing but have you tried dumping the oil in your tank & replacing with new oil? My dad was having issues with one of his saws & thought it was the pump so he had me look at it. Im not sure what kind of oil he was using but it was very thick (maybe a summer blend of bar oil?) and it simply wasnt flowing fast enough. All i did to "fix" his problem was dump the old oil, clean out the oiler hole & then re-fill with my own oil, which seemed to have a much lower viscosity & therefore would flow better. He hasnt had a problem since.

Worth a try anyway.

Latest posts

Back