NEW 372 FAILURES

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ok what is up with all the 372 pto bearing failures. A good friend has had 4 of em fail in the last year. I was going to pick one up but my dealer also said to stay clear. What did Husky just have to screw up one of the best saws going or was it a bad batch of bearings? I hope? I understand the more oil thing helps but for years and about 10+ 272's and 372's there was never a issue. So something is up. CJ

Bearings are fine, something to do with the machine pressing bearings into the case just a hair off angle. At the first sign of vibrating screws loose/out you know what you've got.

Take a saw that already needs more oil than 50:1, give it less oil through the use of strato, and voila.
Comparing strato to non strato, in the crankcase strato should result in less oil volume flowing through the case per unit time, but the quantity of oil in the case at any given time will be much higher. You have a much richer mixture moving more slowly.

EDIT: Forget that, it's wrong. Need to give it more thought.

Comparing strato to non strato, in the crankcase strato should result in less oil volume flowing through the case per unit time, but the quantity of oil in the case at any given time will be much higher. You have a much richer mixture moving more slowly.

EDIT: Forget that, it's wrong. Need to give it more thought.

I thought the fuel and oil mixture would be less with the strato? So you have a saw turning the same RPMs as the non strato but with less cooling down below?

I thought the fuel and oil mixture would be less with the strato? So you have a saw turning the same RPMs as the non strato but with less cooling down below?
From TK's comment it seems like this was just a typical mfg defect, the stuff that happens so easily.

As for the strato, there will be less fuel mix moving through the case, by however much less is lost to scavenging. So if the strato is, say 15% more efficient then there will be that much less mix going through the case. There is a lot less air moving through the case, but that should not be relevant here - all the fuel mix still goes through the case.

From TK's comment it seems like this was just a typical mfg defect, the stuff that happens so easily.

As for the strato, there will be less fuel mix moving through the case, by however much less is lost to scavenging. So if the strato is, say 15% more efficient then there will be that much less mix going through the case. There is a lot less air moving through the case, but that should not be relevant here - all the fuel mix still goes through the case.

Can't have it both ways, near as I see it. 15% less fuel mix (the liquid part) going through the case means 15% less lube and cooling, yes? So it should be relevant? Take the bearing mis install off the table, all things equal in this hypothetical, the non strato will have better internal cooling, but the strato gets better mileage/less pollution.

Less fuel moving through the case = less fuel moving through the case...
Lubrication shouldn't suffer too badly, but cooling ???
It's good food for thought...

Less fuel moving through the case = less fuel moving through the case...
Lubrication shouldn't suffer too badly, but cooling ???
It's good food for thought...

The way I was looking at it..we'll stick with 15% better mileage/efficiency, this means a tank will last 15% longer. This is the only way to show it is more efficient that I can see. So, per single revolution, that is 15% less fuel/oil mix hitting the crank bearings.

The way I was looking at it..we'll stick with 15% better mileage/efficiency, this means a tank will last 15% longer. This is the only way to show it is more efficient that I can see. So, per single revolution, that is 15% less fuel/oil mix hitting the crank bearings.
What I meant was that the reduced air moving through the case is probably not relevant here. There is still about the same amount of air moving through the engine, it just flows through a different path. So as far as strato goes it is just different, but there's still pretty similar amounts of fuel mix in the case, and fresh air moving through the strato air valve and across the piston probably helps cool the upper cylinder.

Anyway, there does not seem to be a history of lube or cooling problems with strato engines, and there are a lot of them out there for some 10 years now. Especially when the bearings are pressed in correctly!

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.
No sweat...
Just wanted to let everyone know TK been dealing with the factory on this one a while...
"Off forum"
Most are fine, but he's seen enough to know sumthin was up, and started asking questions of the manufacturer...

Which is what good servicing dealers are supposed to do... Hopefully they remedied the problem quickly..

Bearings are fine, something to do with the machine pressing bearings into the case just a hair off angle. At the first sign of vibrating screws loose/out you know what you've got.

Thanks TK, I don't know what to do other than either wait until it gets fixed [hopefully] or find a NOS saw somewhere. That will be hard esp in the G model. One friend has switched to the 576 for the time being and the other one won't switch. So it looks like I will be looking for 2 saws. CJ

Latest posts

Back