New 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt93eg!

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am new here to the forum. My Dad, Uncle, and myself cut firewood as we all 3 heat with primarily wood during the winter. We all have backup heat pumps but mainly 95% of our heating during winter is with wood boilers and wood stoves.

My Dad owns a McCulloch Pro Mac 610(61cc), and a Husky T435 limbing saw, uncle has a old Husky 61, I have a consumer saw which is the Husky 450. We had a lot of big oaks go down last year due to storms. A lot we haven't processed yet because 20" bars ain't gonna cut it.

I have been wanting a saw in the 90cc range that I can run a 28" bar with when needed, other times it would have a 24" on it but wouldn't always be cutting 24" wood. Do I "need" a 90cc saw? Probably not. Do I want a 90cc saw? Yes and could put it to good use. I have been looking hard at the 390XP. I know it would be fine with a 28" bar but would 88cc just be way to overkill running with a 24" quite a bit to? I just feel we have the 50cc-60cc area covered and wanted to move up quite a bit. I would probably use the 390XP as my main bucking saw. The 450 is light enough that I could slap a 16-18" bar on it for small stuff.

I have never ran any saws more than 61cc. I just feel like going to a 372XP when there are two other 60cc which is just 10cc behind would be kinda pointless. I don't like the idea of electronic carbs. I like to do all my own repairs and maint. I like to keep it simple.

What are your thoughts?

Hello, I am new here to the forum. My Dad, Uncle, and myself cut firewood as we all 3 heat with primarily wood during the winter. We all have backup heat pumps but mainly 95% of our heating during winter is with wood boilers and wood stoves.

My Dad owns a McCulloch Pro Mac 610(61cc), and a Husky T435 limbing saw, uncle has a old Husky 61, I have a consumer saw which is the Husky 450. We had a lot of big oaks go down last year due to storms. A lot we haven't processed yet because 20" bars ain't gonna cut it.

I have been wanting a saw in the 90cc range that I can run a 28" bar with when needed, other times it would have a 24" on it but wouldn't always be cutting 24" wood. Do I "need" a 90cc saw? Probably not. Do I want a 90cc saw? Yes and could put it to good use. I have been looking hard at the 390XP. I know it would be fine with a 28" bar but would 88cc just be way to overkill running with a 24" quite a bit to? I just feel we have the 50cc-60cc area covered and wanted to move up quite a bit. I would probably use the 390XP as my main bucking saw. The 450 is light enough that I could slap a 16-18" bar on it for small stuff.

I have never ran any saws more than 61cc. I just feel like going to a 372XP when there are two other 60cc which is just 10cc behind would be kinda pointless. I don't like the idea of electronic carbs. I like to do all my own repairs and maint. I like to keep it simple.

What are your thoughts?
Might get a bit heavy as your main bucking saw. The 372 may not be pointless its way better than anything you have and not too heavy.

I will give the 372 some thought but thinking I just want a larger than 70cc saw. 372 comes in at 5.5 listed HP. Which is still probably almost 2HP more than my uncles 61 and 1HP less than the 390 so maybe it's not to far off. I see the 576 comes with and without the Autotune. I'm sure the Auto tune would be fine, I just don't like electronics. Sure the technology is awesome, I just like simple, whenever you have electronics your gonna have problems.

And yes I might end up owning all saws, lol. I love chainsaws and small engines in general.

If it matters 95% of all the wood we cut and split is hardwood. Mainly Red and White oak. We cut some poplar for shoulder season temps. But mostly we cut Oak.

Also, I'm not a chainsaw expert. Can someone tell me why for instance, why the 372 and 390 says 28" bar length max. But the 576 says 32" max. The 576 is 1HP less than the 390. How do they figure 32" max for a 5.6HP saw but 28" for a 6.5?

Most guys that i cut with don't use my 288 or their 394 for long before reaching for one of my 372s.
They just have the right balance of power and weight.
And the ability for longer bars.
I've not run a 576 but i hear good things.

Just get the 390xp man. You seem like you already have your mind made up and if/when you buy it, you'll be having so much fun cutting that you won't even consider it "work". In my opinion, one of the best saws ever made. Do it!

The only way I'd say no is if you can find a professionally ported 372xp for around $500 or less. But that likely not gonna happen.

Thank you guys for all the opinions and comments. It really is much appreciated. I guess for bucking I don't typically see where the weight of the 390 would bother me to much. I'm not a big guy, 5'11" at 180 pounds. I do lift weights 4 days a week but I'm not a big guy by any means. I have run my Pops Pro Mac and that saw must be darn near 20 pounds with 20" B/C. I let the dogs dig in and hold the weight of the saw for the most part. Looks like I will have to upgrade to some bigger dogs if I got with the 390. I won't be making a purchase until this coming weekend or weekend after so I have time to ponder and think on this.

It's been a while since I have run my pops pro mac, normally run my 450 which is pretty light. Maybe I need to go and run that Mac for a few hours straight just to see if it bothers me more than I remember.

Thank you guys for all the opinions and comments. It really is much appreciated. I guess for bucking I don't typically see where the weight of the 390 would bother me to much. I'm not a big guy, 5'11" at 180 pounds. I do lift weights 4 days a week but I'm not a big guy by any means. I have run my Pops Pro Mac and that saw must be darn near 20 pounds with 20" B/C. I let the dogs dig in and hold the weight of the saw for the most part. Looks like I will have to upgrade to some bigger dogs if I got with the 390. I won't be making a purchase until this coming weekend or weekend after so I have time to ponder and think on this.

It's been a while since I have run my pops pro mac, normally run my 450 which is pretty light. Maybe I need to go and run that Mac for a few hours straight just to see if it bothers me more than I remember.
Run it all day in a lot of brush and on a hill and get back to me.

LonestAr, probably 20-25 in all honesty. Some are a lot bigger but I guess I just have the bug for a big saw. Thought the bug would pass but been quite a while and I still want something bigger. Probably need to just get it out of my head to be honest. Atleast I'm honest about a need and want i guess.

LonestAr, probably 20-25 in all honesty. Some are a lot bigger but I guess I just have the bug for a big saw. Thought the bug would pass but been quite a while and I still want something bigger. Probably need to just get it out of my head to be honest. Atleast I'm honest about a need and want i guess.
70 cc range Saw, you can run a 20 or 24 in bar, my saw of choice is a Stihl MS 440 or 461. Then get your self an Ms 241 for limbing,you wont believe how cool that one is. Lighter is better my young friend.I have lots of bigger saws and rarely use them until we are cutting 3 or 4 foot diam stuff. Tree service owner 40 years experience here.

I bought a new 390 last year. Didn't care for it at all. Controller rpms limited, PITA. Traded it for a 576xp. Glad I did. Don't let the specs fool you. The 576 just seems to have more torque. The smoothness is deceiving vs. it's speed in the cut. Stock to stock my experience was the 576xp will hang with a 390 up to a 28" bar, full comp. Better mileage, less weight, no adjustments, and as fellow members have stated one of the smoothest saws out there.

Now if you get both ported it will hand the 576xp it's head. I've tried to humble the 576 by abuse and it asks for more. Either saws are tough. Good choices.

Note: buy the oil and get more warranty. Ebay has wrap handles, or they did for cheap which helps keep the chain case grey cover new looking longer by protecting it. I also think that Husky offers a 7 day satisfaction money back guarantee on their saws. That should help.

70 cc range Saw, you can run a 20 or 24 in bar, my saw of choice is a Stihl MS 440 or 461. Then get your self an Ms 241 for limbing,you wont believe how cool that one is. Lighter is better my young friend.I have lots of bigger saws and rarely use them until we are cutting 3 or 4 foot diam stuff. Tree service owner 40 years experience here.

I have to listen to you. You don't have 40 years experience for nothing. This will be the first Pro saw I have ever bought and will be the last saw I buy for a long time due to the Wife and I building a house. So the last thing I want to do is get a saw and then not be happy. I had actually looked weeks ago at the Stihl MS441. Reason I went over to looking at Huskys is because I can find them cheaper. Basically for the same price as a Stihl I can get a Husky that is bigger. I will give the 576 a hard look. If that is route I would go would you just go ahead and get the Autotune? Im sure its real nice, I just hate electronic problems and further more I don;t like the fact you might need to take to dealer to repair. I am a do it myself kind of guy.

I bought a new 390 last year. Didn't care for it at all. Controller rpms limited, PITA. Traded it for a 576xp. Glad I did. Don't let the specs fool you. The 576 just seems to have more torque. The smoothness is deceiving vs. it's speed in the cut. Stock to stock my experience was the 576xp will hang with a 390 up to a 28" bar, full comp. Better mileage, less weight, no adjustments, and as fellow members have stated one of the smoothest saws out there.

Now if you get both ported it will hand the 576xp it's head. I've tried to humble the 576 by abuse and it asks for more. Either saws are tough. Good choices.

Note: buy the oil and get more warranty. Ebay has wrap handles, or they did for cheap which helps keep the chain case grey cover new looking longer by protecting it. I also think that Husky offers a 7 day satisfaction money back guarantee on their saws. That should help.

I will give the 576 a hard look. Did you get the AT on your 576? As far as poring, most likely not. It will remain a stock saw unless it has some easy restrictions that need help such as muffler or something. Also pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by the controller RPMs are limited? Is it just a lower reving saw compared to the 576?

Not to step in on Lone Wolf but I have had no problems whatsoever with the AutoTune on the 576xp. Unlike my 550 and 562xp Autotunes, they have problems when hot. The 576xp Auto tune is the most dependable electronic saw Husky makes. Hope they can carry over this success into the 572xp coming out sometime in the future.

I also run a full line of Stihl products as well. The Mtronics are fine. The 461 is a great saw as well.

I will give the 576 a hard look. Did you get the AT on your 576? As far as poring, most likely not. It will remain a stock saw unless it has some easy restrictions that need help such as muffler or something. Also pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by the controller RPMs are limited? Is it just a lower reving saw compared to the 576?
Limited coil is what I figure he means.

Not to step in on Lone Wolf but I have had no problems whatsoever with the AutoTune on the 576xp. Unlike my 550 and 562xp Autotunes, they have problems when hot. The 576xp Auto tune is the most dependable electronic saw Husky makes. Hope they can carry over this success into the 572xp coming out sometime in the future.

I also run a full line of Stihl products as well. The Mtronics are fine. The 461 is a great saw as well.
Well I don't care if he buys Husky or Stihl but I highly recommend the 70 cc range from what he told us.

I cut firewood with my father and my brother in-law. I bought a 28" 390xp because we all had 50cc saws and needed a saw for the big trees. I am very happy with the 390xp and it has increased production immensely. The saw does get heavy after using for a couple hours only stopping for gas/oil. Since my purchase, my brother in-law bought a 562xp, this saw has been impressive also.
I do believe that I would have been just as happy if I had purchased a 372xp. I actually went to my local dealer to buy a 576xp but he didn't recommend it, and had me look at the 390xp.

If I was buying a 70cc, I would wait for the 572xp. Seeing that you would rather have a conventional carb, buy a 372 or 390 and cut wood, you'll be happy!

Back