New 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get ya a jonsered before they are gone forever.
2188 or 2172download (7).jpgdownload (6).jpg

I went to spikes profile page yesterday and left a message but haven't heard anything yet. My local dealer wants $1,112.00 OTD for 28" and $1,070 OTD for a 24 on the 390. They want $844 OTD for a 372 with 24". Has them in stock.

Hey Matt;

Never look at the profile page. Will send you a PM on the saws.

Well, it's done. New saw bought. I really appreciate everyone's input. That fact I knew I had some trees that would require that 32" bar made me keep coming back to the 390XP. So 390XP it was.

I have been reading a lot of Oil posts. I see where a lot of folks seem to run 32:1 instead of what Husky says which is 50:1. I always ran 32:1 in my 2 stroke dirt bikes. So I'm gonna run 32:1 in this saw and re tune. I've read a lot about tuning with the limited coil because I don't don't want to mess up there.

I will probably run Maxima K2 oil. I used to run 927 in my bikes, it doesn't have dye though which I hate, I read the K2 doesn't have dye, is that true?

congradulations Matt, your going to love it,
I moved up from 288's to a 385xp (390xp's brother) and the av was a huge improvement
once you get a few tanks through it , she will open up even more, keep us updated !

Thanks guys! Brad, I was going to based on what my local dealer has originally quoted me. I called him back to see if he would do any better. He told me to come in and we would talk. I'm assuming he was seeing if I was serious. He ended up coming down a lot more so I bought it local. The serial plate says 2016 so I'm not sure if he was trying to push it through or what. Don't know if saws are like cars where they try to get older models out for new or not.

Brad does the K2 have dye in it? That was one thing i didn't like about 927.

Got some fresh fuel today and mixed at 32:1. Took the saw out to cut some cookies and try and get this thing dialed in. I have been reading quite a bit on the limited coils and how to be careful that you don't go to lean by mistaking the saw 4 stroking for the rev limiter. I had read some things that said start out real rich so you will see the difference. I started out real rich and started leaning it out. I think I was being way to cautious. My manual says the limiter is set at 13,000RPMs. When I had it real rich I could hear it burble real bad. As I got leaner and the RPMs went up I got to where I couldn't tell if if the burble I was hearing was a good burble as in 4 stroking or a bad burble as in the rev limiter. I was using a 8x8 to cut cookies. The last few cookies I cut at WOT, I shut it down and pulled the plug, seemed a little damp but also gray in color. At that point I was confused because wet should be to rich but gray would be to lean? It was getting dark so I cleaned the saw up and put it away.

I am not experienced tuning so I think I am gonna order a tach. Then if it is cutting out at 11,000 RPMs I know its 4 stroking and not the limiter. What should I be aiming to tune this thing to anyways? The husky site says the max power RPM is 9,600. But seems if they didn't want you going over that, that they would set the limiter at that RPM. I was just super scared of going to lean and ruining my brand new engine. Can't risk that.

Latest posts

Back