New 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock saws can run limiter full rich or full lean. The limiter keeps the home owner from destroying their saw, while allowing them to dial in the performance due to elevation, temp, humidity, etc. In modifying the saw and removing the limiter, you better know what you are doing.

Stock saws can run limiter full rich or full lean. The limiter keeps the home owner from destroying their saw, while allowing them to dial in the performance due to elevation, temp, humidity, etc. In modifying the saw and removing the limiter, you better know what you are doing.

You are right, I am aware that I dont want to go to lean, I have tuned other things such as trimmers, etc. I think with this one I am just nervous due to spending so much money on a saw.

Brad, I watched your vid several times. I was being to conservative, I never got mine leaned out enough which is what I thought by how it was running. I started getting leaner at one point but then got scared because I couldn't tell if it was 4 stroking I was hearing when I took the load off the saw or if it was the limiter but it wasn't screaming no where close to like your Dolmar so it was still to rich. Plug was wet which would indicate that as well, and also when I was wiping the saw down I noticed some spooge out the muffler.

Got some fresh fuel today and mixed at 32:1. Took the saw out to cut some cookies and try and get this thing dialed in. I have been reading quite a bit on the limited coils and how to be careful that you don't go to lean by mistaking the saw 4 stroking for the rev limiter. I had read some things that said start out real rich so you will see the difference. I started out real rich and started leaning it out. I think I was being way to cautious. My manual says the limiter is set at 13,000RPMs. When I had it real rich I could hear it burble real bad. As I got leaner and the RPMs went up I got to where I couldn't tell if if the burble I was hearing was a good burble as in 4 stroking or a bad burble as in the rev limiter. I was using a 8x8 to cut cookies. The last few cookies I cut at WOT, I shut it down and pulled the plug, seemed a little damp but also gray in color. At that point I was confused because wet should be to rich but gray would be to lean? It was getting dark so I cleaned the saw up and put it away.

I am not experienced tuning so I think I am gonna order a tach. Then if it is cutting out at 11,000 RPMs I know its 4 stroking and not the limiter. What should I be aiming to tune this thing to anyways? The husky site says the max power RPM is 9,600. But seems if they didn't want you going over that, that they would set the limiter at that RPM. I was just super scared of going to lean and ruining my brand new engine. Can't risk that.
That 9,600 is rpm under load, in the cut. Put a 346 ignition module on mine, but if you are leaving stock, no need for it. Like to hear mine start to 4 stroke, when getting out of cut. Put an 8 pin on it and enjoy.

Update, Got my Tach today. I had quit tuning on the saw until it came in, when I last left the saw I knew I was rich on the high side but wanted to be safer rather than sorry. I bought the DTI 20K Fast Tach. Today I fired up the saw, let it warm up for a few mins. Was idling about right at 2700. I did a couple WOT runs(no load, just B&C)and was getting a max of around 10,500! I knew I was Rich, but I was WAY rich. I started doing very small adjustments to creep up towards the limiter. Since the engine is new I ended up leaving it at 12,804 for now. Let the rings seat and as the temp starts cooling down I will keep a check on it. I ran it afterwards and even a tad fat at 12,804 max the saw is a BEAST. Running 93 Octane at 32:1. Wow, I know a stock 390 is not very impressive to you guys with ported 390s but I am coming from running mainly my Husky 450. WOW!!!! What a huge difference. And the AV on this thing is down right amazing. I had a grin ear to ear.

Does anyone know what the MAX on my 450 is? I have looked around and can't find anything, just the power RPMs. I even looked up the owners manual, it doesn't list a MAX in the 450 manual like my 390 does, my 390 manual lists 9600 power RPM and 13000 MAX. I was going to hook the tach up to the 450 to see where it is at.

EDIT: I pulled the recoil off the 450 expecting to see a blue coil with the RPM stamped on it. Much to my surprise it has a black coil. No RPM numbers on it so I assume its unlimited. I knew it has been running really good but wanted to check RPMs anyways, I did pull the plug, dry and brown.

Hey everyone,

I have had the 390XP for bit over a year now and wanted to update everyone on the saw.

Have numerous gallons of fuel through it by now. Only mods I have done are black unlimited coil(to make it easier on me tuning) and the larger dogs as the factory dogs leave a lot to be desired.

I am very happy I went with the 390, puts a grin on my face everytime I run it and it does what I need it to do without issues.

I got a lot better with tuning and even though I have a tach I typically never use it anymore. In N.C. I may start cutting one morning at 30 degrees ambient. Then later on be cutting at 60 degree ambient so I keep my adjusting tool in my back pocket and always make sure the engine 4 strokes just out of the wood and cleans up when the load is put back. I haven’t had any issues. Also found using ear plugs helps hear the burble. Have been running full chisel Oregon JGX Skip tooth. Liked the full comp but the skip is just faster to sharpen out in the woods with a file.

I do have a 288 deflecter coming and I’m going to do a MM using that with a screen under it.

This saw has allowed us to process trees for firewood that we normally would just leave alone.

Got some random pictures as well.

Attachments

• DCC23EA6-BA99-47E9-A7EA-7F4871B7C3B2.jpeg
    DCC23EA6-BA99-47E9-A7EA-7F4871B7C3B2.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 26
  • C632E2C2-70AF-43D1-BB2E-65374C467EBA.jpeg
    C632E2C2-70AF-43D1-BB2E-65374C467EBA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • C28C86D8-AA5C-4210-84E9-7349826E2089.jpeg
    C28C86D8-AA5C-4210-84E9-7349826E2089.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 27
Hell yeah!
What a difference stepping up to 90cc, I'm in similar situation as you having mostly used 50-60cc saws for Everything just beatin the piss out of them in big oaks...
Now with a 90cc can just blow through everything, fast! Kind of went from being a tiresome chore to bring it on.
I ran mine (660 clone) rich for break in too but boy did it come alive when I got confident enough to lean it out some :)

Hey man, oh yeah big step up from the 50cc class. My homeowner saw the 450 mostly sits on the shelf now days. I’d just rather run the 390. I ran almost 1 tank of fuel through her today and had more oak rounds laying on the ground than I had time to split. :)

You will not go wrong with a 390 xp, very good power and fairly smoothly running for a near 90 cc saw, it will have all the power you need, if you have the money and this is saw you think you want purchase one. I would suggest purchasing a 24” bar as well, 28s get heavy and cumbersome really quick, take care and be safe out there, welcome to the site.

You will not go wrong with a 390 xp, very good power and fairly smoothly running for a near 90 cc saw, it will have all the power you need, if you have the money and this is saw you think you want purchase one. I would suggest purchasing a 24” bar as well, 28s get heavy and cumbersome really quick, take care and be safe out there, welcome to the site.

Hey man, I think you mis read my post. I had bought the 390 a year ago and was just doing an update on the saw. And no thanks on the 24” bar, I run a a 28” and love it. The 50cc saw gets used on the small stuff.

Latest posts

Back