New 6421 Makita help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holewad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I was one of the lucky few who purchased A new 2015 6421 Makita at Amazon for 439.00 with free shipping. I'm stoked about that but I have a few questions I can't find an answer for.
1. Do the newer 6421 have some sort of exhaust recirculation devise in the muffler?

2. Do these saws run better without the catalytic converter inside the muffler?

3. Does the catalytic converter create too much heat?

4. The bar appears to be somewhat cheap so what would be a good replacement?

5. Should I break in the saw before adjusting the carb? I live at 3200 feet and do most of my cutting above 5000 feet. Is this saw set to operate at sea level?

Thanks for any help it would be much appreciated!

On the bar, I would run it till it is wore out and replace it with basically anything. I have Cannon and Oregon bars on my personal saws. They both work well for me. I hear Total Super Bars are great too, but I enjoy never worrying about my cheap Oregon and I love being able to be a caveman to the Cannon and it not bending.

Congratulations on Your new saw, and YOU SUCK (which is a compliment here on AS)! ;)

To answer Your questions:

1. YES

2. Well she should, but some users claim no difference and behavior and power. Nonetheless I would gut the muffler (once past warranty) to at least reduce heat buildup. A few posts regarding this topic can be found here: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/makita-6421-vs-6401.160012/

3. YES

4. The bar should be Makita branded Oregon, unless Amazon or Makita slapped on some cheap third party bar. I am very satisfied with Dolmar branded Oregon bars on my saws. I tried a cheap after marked bar and it didn't make it through 1 year of cutting - for comparison, I am still using my Dolmar PS-6400's factory original Dolmar branded Oregon bar 10 years of age and counting (it is getting some attention every now and then). Wear Your current bar out and while doing so keep a look out for a decently priced quality bar and purchase it beforehand - that way You have a spare bar ready for work if the current gives up.

5. General recommendation here on AS is to re-tune Your saw as You change working environment conditions, that been said YES re-tune Your saws carb to Your altitude but tune Your saw on the rich side (which will make the saw run lower rpm's at WOT) for a few tanks of fuel to prevent extreme stress during break in

Congratulations on Your new saw, and YOU SUCK (which is a compliment here on AS)! ;)

To answer Your questions:

1. YES

2. Well she should, but some users claim no difference and behavior and power. Nonetheless I would gut the muffler (once past warranty) to at least reduce heat buildup. A few posts regarding this topic can be found here: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/makita-6421-vs-6401.160012/

3. YES

4. The bar should be Makita branded Oregon, unless Amazon or Makita slapped on some cheap third party bar. I am very satisfied with Dolmar branded Oregon bars on my saws. I tried a cheap after marked bar and it didn't make it through 1 year of cutting - for comparison, I am still using my Dolmar PS-6400's factory original Dolmar branded Oregon bar 10 years of age and counting (it is getting some attention every now and then). Wear Your current bar out and while doing so keep a look out for a decently priced quality bar and purchase it beforehand - that way You have a spare bar ready for work if the current gives up.

5. General recommendation here on AS is to re-tune Your saw as You change working environment conditions, that been said YES re-tune Your saws carb to Your altitude but tune Your saw on the rich side (which will make the saw run lower rpm's at WOT) for a few tanks of fuel to prevent extreme stress during break in

Thanks for the advice! I was able to get out and run the 6421 and was totally impressed with it! My previous saw was a Stihl ms270. Huge difference in low end power and top end power with the 6421. I'm going to love this saw. It's going to speed my firewood cutting way up!!

Back