New 660, should I mod it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slamm

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Then that is not an "unboggable" saw, is it?

I'm NOT saying a modded 660 is a POS. It's an utterly powerful and useful tool. I'm just responding to someone who said a saw can't be bogged. You and I both know that's an incorrect statement. :)

Holy crap, are you really that sensitive to me calling a really powerful saw that under normal and even abnormal cutting conditions gets bogged either not once during the day or maybe a couple of times, unboggable .?.?.?....... I'm sorry for lying to you, carry on.

Sam

StihlyinEly

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
Holy crap, are you really that sensitive to me calling a really powerful saw that under normal and even abnormal cutting conditions gets bogged either not once during the day or maybe a couple of times, unboggable .?.?.?....... I'm sorry for lying to you, carry on.

Sam

Zoiks! Sensitive? I'm about as sensitive as 60 grit sandpaper. But words have meaning, and when you say a saw can't be bogged, that means a saw can't be bogged. Like to see a saw like that some day.

Forget I even participated in a thread with people who don't understand the basics of the English language. :dizzy:

Enter . . . edisto stooge! :D :D

Slamm

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, when you watch someone cut a tree down and top it and on average say they bog it say 3-6 times per tree, maybe a lot more depending on how heavy handed they are, maybe they back to back to back bog it down like felling trees with a stock 70cc saw does, yet you get a saw like this Killer 660 and it either doesn't bog down or at best you might remember it happening once or twice, I would say it is about as unboggable as it gets, in that context.

But if you are wanting it to the letter of the law, then I'm sure I could bog any saw with a vice grip attached to the chain and like you say, no saw is unboggable.

I conceed defeat on this one,

Sam

albert

albert

Addicted to ArboristSite
You can only have one saw?? Man, thats like telling her she can only have one pair of shoes LOL. I would use it stock for awhile, then open the exhaust oulet on the muffler to 5/8-3/4". Maybe open up the air filter cover for more air. Leave the rest alone unless you really need more. Porting these big saws to run alot of rpm's does take a toll on the bearings, fine for a play saw that doesn't rack up alot of hours. On stock work saws, crank bearings fail frequently

Slamm

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
I can bog my 3120 with a 20" bar :) But I'm pretty heavy!

Nice pictures by the way Sam. Big wood and probably hard by US standards but unfortunately not by Aussie hardwood standards.

Oh, I don't doubt that you guys have harder wood, I'm just showing that I/we do cut good sized trees that are oak and on this last job we actually cut a lot of black locust for ties. Its not like I'm cutting 12" trees or firewood when I say we have a saw here that really cuts hard, and for all but the heaviest handed sawyer it isn't going to bog like most any other felling saw, especially stock ones.

That is one of the reasons, I like 7 pin sprockets and skip chain. While under ideal conditions a well modded saw can pull an 8 pin and cut faster the problem is more often than not, the operator makes certain moves and the saw bogs and its harder on the clutch and your cutting times will actually be slower overall due to having to restart the cut. We cut a lot of soft maple on our last logging job and it is quite the pleasure in that, what would be considered heavy handed saw handeling in oak, is just fast cutting on this softer wood.

I watched a guy limb a tree once with a modded 460 and an 8 pin. On a 10" knot he bogged the saw about 4-6 times (kept slamming the saw up onto the dogs), yet he would expound about how the 8 pin was faster cutting......... Well yes, it is, if you don't ever bog the saw down, but on that knot a 260 could have cut it faster if you nevered bogged it, than that 460 with an 8 pin.

I think its the difference between work and play (cookie cutting), if I was racing i would use an 8 pin, but for working with a saw the 7pin or anything that increases your torque will be faster at the end of the day/week, but maybe not for some individual cuts, especially in hardwoods.

My opinion,

Sam

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Oh, I don't doubt that you guys have harder wood, I'm just showing that I/we do cut good sized trees that are oak and on this last job we actually cut a lot of black locust for ties. Its not like I'm cutting 12" trees or firewood when I say we have a saw here that really cuts hard, and for all but the heaviest handed sawyer it isn't going to bog like most any other felling saw, especially stock ones.

That is one of the reasons, I like 7 pin sprockets and skip chain. While under ideal conditions a well modded saw can pull an 8 pin and cut faster the problem is more often than not, the operator makes certain moves and the saw bogs and its harder on the clutch and your cutting times will actually be slower overall due to having to restart the cut. We cut a lot of soft maple on our last logging job and it is quite the pleasure in that, what would be considered heavy handed saw handeling in oak, is just fast cutting on this softer wood.

I watched a guy limb a tree once with a modded 460 and an 8 pin. On a 10" knot he bogged the saw about 4-6 times (kept slamming the saw up onto the dogs), yet he would expound about how the 8 pin was faster cutting......... Well yes, it is, if you don't ever bog the saw down, but on that knot a 260 could have cut it faster if you nevered bogged it, than that 460 with an 8 pin.

I think its the difference between work and play (cookie cutting), if I was racing i would use an 8 pin, but for working with a saw the 7pin or anything that increases your torque will be faster at the end of the day/week, but maybe not for some individual cuts, especially in hardwoods.

My opinion,

Sam

All good mate and I agree. Skip is highly underrated. The first modded 660 I had was sold to a mate with a tree felling and chainsaw business like mine. He runs a 25" bar and skip semi chisel and loves the thing. He sold his 880 and replaced it with this saw and has absolutely no regrets. I have another new 660 on it's way from Brad snelling but this one is getting a pop up as well. Can't wait :cheers: I'm with you on the 7 vs. 8 pin. I don't run 8 pins on anything over a 24" bar in our wood.

hybridkarpower

hybridkarpower

Green eyes in the dark
I too, prefer 7 pin over 8 pin sprocket when it comes to production cutting even though I'm no pro logger, but I cut 10-15 cords of firewood a year.

I recall one of my older 660 came with 8 pin (used), it had higher chain speed than the 7 pins but torque suffered. While it was great in soft wood like white pines, I felt the difference every time in harder wood.

Owner of my Stihl dealer told me that increase in torque will be about 18% when switching back to 7 pin, which is the stock configuration for all 660.

I kept going back & forth btwn skip vs. non-skip chains as well as full chisel vs. semi's. After many hours of trial/error I settled for Stihl's RMF chains on 25" bars for most of my firewood cutting (semi-chisel, full skip). They hold up well in dirty wood, doesn't dull as fast as full chisels & chip clearance is better than RSC's.

Last edited:
Stihlcutter

Stihlcutter

ArboristSite Operative
You can only have one saw?? Man, thats like telling her she can only have one pair of shoes LOL. I would use it stock for awhile, then open the exhaust oulet on the muffler to 5/8-3/4". Maybe open up the air filter cover for more air. Leave the rest alone unless you really need more. Porting these big saws to run alot of rpm's does take a toll on the bearings, fine for a play saw that doesn't rack up alot of hours. On stock work saws, crank bearings fail frequently

Someone needs to make some aftermarket upgraded bearings that can spin these kind of rpms for extended periods of times for production fallers and what not.
-Ac

HARRY BARKER

HARRY BARKER

ArboristSite Guru
Zoiks! Sensitive? I'm about as smart as 60 grit sandpaper. But words have no meaning to me cause i like to toot my own horn here on AS..., and when you say a saw can't be bogged, that means im not smart enough to figure out what your saying...sometimes i have a hard time spelling saw. a saw can't be boggled. Like to see a saw like that some day,although i think i got one...its got the funny pull cord thingy that does it for ya,you know like the little cars that come in frosted flakes boxes(i like them things!)....the little cars i mean...hehehe...

I also Forget I even participated in a thread with smart people who don't understand the basics of the English language.i was the home coming queen you know, right smack dab here in elly and dont forget it you non basic ebonic speaking people!!! dayumit! go back to yer shanties!!!!! :dizzy: im really really confused?.......OMG.....time for more meds

Enter . . . swillinmyfly... stooge!

wow, what a clown.

MCW

Ha there Matt,
When is the 660 coming,looking forward to your findings.

Sam is the man,keep them vids and pics coming,we all love um.

Yeah I thought it was going to be on your doorstep when you got back from Tassie?

What's goin on? :)

Come on guys, can't rush these things :) I don't think it's far off.

On a side note, I have a new "genuine" Stihl 066 coming from a Chinese company. Will be interesting to see just how good of a knock off it really is (assuming it's not the real deal ;) ). Half the price of the thing was shipping so that may give you some idea how cheap it is. Also getting a "genuine" Husky 365 as well :D I coudn't refuse at the current exchange rate.

Last edited:
Slamm

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just because you modd the work saw doesn't mean you have to spin it any more rpms than what is stock. Its the rpm's it will hold in the cut that matters, not some no-load rpm value.

My opinion,

Sam

MCW

Just because you modd the work saw doesn't mean you have to spin it any more rpms than what is stock. Its the rpm's it will hold in the cut that matters, not some no-load rpm value.

My opinion,

Sam

I believe your opinion is correct :cheers:

For example Al's (AUSSIE1) ported 371XP pulls between 10-12,000rpm in the cut in hardwood with some square full chisel he filed up (nice job BTW Al). A stock saw probably 1-2,000rpm less. His saw has some big hairy balls too - very gutsy. It is pulling 14,000rpm no load max. I would expect similar rpm results across most modded, non race saws.

Sheriff420

Sheriff420

ArboristSite Member
All the talk about unboggable saws reminded me of this one
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rj7Fhyar5to?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rj7Fhyar5to?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Only useful for showing off but still, I'd say it's unboggable.

I just clicked on a related video
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kY2SFAJb3uM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kY2SFAJb3uM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Now that one would be useful.

Last edited:

Latest posts