New 660, should I mod it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a couple of new barrels put on over the years as well :)

I have been readying this thread with interest,i have been thinking about getting a modded 660 as well and i will tell you why.I have a 660 that has done three years of work (firewood) and its time to trade in on a new one or set it up for milling only.To trade in on a new one will cost me about $650 so thats $1000 from the dealer or $1650 for cash sale.Im thinking i can get a new ported modded 660 from the states for about $1500.
So with a modded 660 with the extra performance i am thinking there will be less time needed lugging around the 880, getting to old to swing this around all day (but there are times when its required).So im liking the idea of a ported modded 660 as a work saw with a 36'' bar to power throw those hard dry redgums,stringybar and box wood we swore at allot and wonder why we do it type timbers.
So the advantage is we can use a smaller lighter saw to do the same job as the next size up saw,quicker and easer.:clap:

There's really no argueing the fact that the lighter a saw is, and the faster it cuts, the more money you make. That is, if you're working by production instead of by the hour. When I logged, I worked by production. Now I work by the hour when I cut mostly. But when I'm cutting the 30-40 cords of wood I cut each winter, I like to get it done and get to the house fast. I have a farm to take care of too. So I'll take a modded saw over a stocker anyday, regardless of the brand or size.

There's really no argueing the fact that the lighter a saw is, and the faster it cuts, the more money you make. That is, if you're working by production instead of by the hour. When I logged, I worked by production. Now I work by the hour when I cut mostly. But when I'm cutting the 30-40 cords of wood I cut each winter, I like to get it done and get to the house fast. I have a farm to take care of too. So I'll take a modded saw over a stocker anyday, regardless of the brand or size.

And yea, I have burnt a barrel too. :clap:

A 6mmPPC benchrest barrel is often a done deal at 800-1200 rounds. A bitter little pill when a new tube with install is $500.

Amazing fact. So just how many 6mmPPC, 220swift or 226Barnes have you actually physically shot out?? How many ms660 have you run into the ground? And unless I have totally missed my mark, how about 67 Cutlass 442s?? Just askin??

I have had a couple of new barrels put on over the years as well :)

I have been readying this thread with interest,i have been thinking about getting a modded 660 as well and i will tell you why.I have a 660 that has done three years of work (firewood) and its time to trade in on a new one or set it up for milling only.To trade in on a new one will cost me about $650 so thats $1000 from the dealer or $1650 for cash sale.Im thinking i can get a new ported modded 660 from the states for about $1500.
So with a modded 660 with the extra performance i am thinking there will be less time needed lugging around the 880, getting to old to swing this around all day (but there are times when its required).So im liking the idea of a ported modded 660 as a work saw with a 36'' bar to power throw those hard dry redgums,stringybar and box wood we swore at allot and wonder why we do it type timbers.
So the advantage is we can use a smaller lighter saw to do the same job as the next size up saw,quicker and easer.:clap:

An ms660, modded or not aint no millin’ saw. Think bigger. Like Wood-mizer.

Amazing fact. So just how many 6mmPPC, 220swift or 226Barnes have you actually physically shot out?? How many ms660 have you run into the ground? And unless I have totally missed my mark, how about 67 Cutlass 442s?? Just askin??

A 6mm and .220swift will go quick. Those are some hot rounds. My .308 is around 1500 and hope to get 1500 more before a new stick is needed. My .270wsm? I don't think it would hold up to 1000.:laugh:

I have owned a few ARs with high round counts, 8-9K if you consider that high. They still held their own but were never in the hands of Rambo. Love me some ARs.:rockn:

A 6mm and .220swift will go quick. Those are some hot rounds. My .308 is around 1500 and hope to get 1500 more before a new stick is needed. My .270wsm? I don't think it would hold up to 1000.:laugh:

I have owned a few ARs with high round counts, 8-9K if you consider that high. They still held their own but were never in the hands of Rambo. Love me some ARs.:rockn:

Me and a buddy built a wildcat 6mm remington SAUM. He ordered the barrel from shilen. We built it on a 700 remington action. It was an easy barrel to ream and rifle. he had 100 grain bullets moving at close to 3600 fps with a 26in barrel. :blob2:
His first barrel lasted about 600 rounds. :laugh: He just rebarreled it this summer with a new 28" shilen barrel. He's shooting 1000yd matches with it and it's lethal.
I have been thinking about a 6.5 SAUM. I like the .264 caliber bullets alot. They have a wicked BC. Long and skinny. For anyone who don't know, the SAUM is the short action ultra mag. It's similar to the winchester short magnum cartridge (WSM). I have a 7mm Saum that shoots 140 grain bullets at 3200.

Me and a buddy built a wildcat 6mm remington SAUM. He ordered the barrel from shilen. We built it on a 700 remington action. It was an easy barrel to ream and rifle. he had 100 grain bullets moving at close to 3600 fps with a 26in barrel. :blob2:
His first barrel lasted about 600 rounds. :laugh: He just rebarreled it this summer with a new 28" shilen barrel. He's shooting 1000yd matches with it and it's lethal.
I have been thinking about a 6.5 SAUM. I like the .264 caliber bullets alot. They have a wicked BC. Long and skinny. For anyone who don't know, the SAUM is the short action ultra mag. It's similar to the winchester short magnum cartridge (WSM). I have a 7mm Saum that shoots 140 grain bullets at 3200.

I'd rather talk rifles than saws.:D My dream build is a Surgeon reciever/Seekins DBM in .338LM w/ a Manners T4A.:bowdown: That round just gets my blood boiling, don't have anything past 200 yds to shoot it though. That is the only think holding me back. I really need to spend some more money and time on reloading.

So im liking the idea of a ported modded 660 as a work saw with a 36'' bar to power throw those hard dry redgums,stringybar and box wood we swore at allot and wonder why we do it type timbers.

Yes, you are on the correct path. Anything around 36" would be a ported 660s dream. I'm thinking of getting a 42" for mine, don't know if the oiler could keep up in some hard oak though.

I'd rather talk rifles than saws.:D My dream build is a Surgeon reciever/Seekins DBM in .338LM w/ a Manners T4A.:bowdown: That round just gets my blood boiling, don't have anything past 200 yds to shoot it though. That is the only think holding me back. I really need to spend some more money and time on reloading.

Yea me neither. I would only use it to shoot at a long range shoot. I rarely get a long shot at a deer around here. Still fun to shoot a barrel burner though. The two meanest rifles I have ever shot were a 416 rigby and a .338-.378 weatherby. Both were on an Encore. It goes beyond kick with that wetherby. More like a tyson punch to the face. :laugh:
I hav'ent shot the .300 or .338 Lapua but I hear they are pretty wicked also.

Dang I hate to get to talking about guns. I can't stop. Gonna have to go over to the firingline and post for awhile.;)

Of those rounds you listed, none.

7.62x51, affirmative. Two junior State Championships in NRA high power rifle resulted from it.

Now my Anschütz 1913 free rifle should be good to 100K rounds, so I should be ok there...

Just tellin'...

Back