New bar and chain seemed 'grabby' when I was cutting... offer your wisdom please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anymanusa

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just bought a new arbormax 20" bar and a woodland pro full chisel chain for my ms280 and went out to test cut through a piece of 20" dia. honey locust. I was trying to make as nice a cookie as possible to make a little table with.

Anyway, I was bucking through the stump/log and the saw felt really 'grabby'. I had pre-sprayed the chain with silicon spray and run it just a little to get some oil on it too.

What does the 'grabby' indicate? I only made two complete cuts and I'm trying to think what the saw is telling me but I'm a little too inexperienced to be sure.

Thanks.

Grabby, or dull?

A lot of chain just off the real can be a little dull and feel 'grabby' but in reality it's just not cutting well.

Touch the chain up a little and see how it does.
looked razor sharp. I didn't touch it though.
If by grabby you mean the chain get caught in the wood you may be pushing too hard

That's what I was thinking. thanks. I was just a little over excited I think, and pushed to hard.

Check the raker height. Rakers that are too low will have the cutters taking too big of a bite. I'd be surprised if they were too low when new, but stranger things have happened.

Latest posts

Back