New Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronaldo

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Having trouble getting my new Forester bar to oil properly on the 371xp. Been thinking about biting the bullet and getting a better brand of bar. Looking for a Total Super Bar. Where have you all found the best place and prices for these---doI need to go through a dealer? Thanks for the help!

Ron

Never ran a forester myself. Just weren't common here. But I do see them out there, and hear they are a good bar. Seems I heard the trouble before if not with them, another brand. Seems to me some had to drill out the oiling hole on the bar. Bailey's is a real good place for bars. Not sure what shops you have local, and there are some good light weight ones out now. Oregon, and Stihl, Windsor are very common here. Canon too, but heavier in weight and more money, but best bar I ever ran for over all quality.

The easiest place to get one is your Jonsered dealer.

They come both marked Jonsered and marked "total super bar" Either way just tell them you want a tsumura bar and your dealer should know what is up.

This is the only reliable supply of them in the US. They are sometimes or were sometimes available marked carlton as overstocks and through carlton distribution networks but this seems to be no longer.

They are were also available from cutters choice but they are quite expensive from there. Not sure if they still have them.

I believe the currently made "Forester" bars are made in China, and pretty crappy - but an older/old stock one will be better.

That shouldn't affect the oiling though (by itself), so that needs to be further investigated.

First step is to make sure the oiler hole in the bar isn't obstructed by debris, and cleanly cut + the bar mount pattern is correct, and the oiler hole not misplaced. If that is ok, check the oiler function of the saw, without the bar on it.

I believe the currently made "Forester" bars are made in China, and pretty crappy - but an older/old stock one will be better.

That shouldn't affect the oiling though (by itself), so that needs to be further investigated.

First step is to make sure the oiler hole in the bar isn't obstructed by debris, and cleanly cut + the bar mount pattern is correct, and the oiler hole not misplaced. If that is ok, check the oiler function of the saw, without the bar on it.

Saw is oiling OK- already checked that, but the big issue is that the oil hole seems to only line up over about half of the oil slot in the case. I could drill it out but can get money back if it doesnt work and drilling it would prolly void that. Yes, Saw Troll this one says Made in China. Thanks!

Ron

Thought I would update my bar situation. Found a good deal on a Carlton b&c combo (24") for $65.00so I tested it and all is working well with it. Also found a Total Super Bar (20") for $35.00 ,so now I have a shorter bar if I want to run it. The Total bar oils just fine too. I dont think I will use the Total that much , couldnt pass it up at that price! I took the Forester bar back and the dealer ask if I would try another one---this time it was one with a black nose and it says "Pro Series". After using it some , I would say all seems to be working OK with it----oiling just fine. Maybe just had a problem with that particular model , series or I had a dud.
Anyway now I have a couple of "backup" bars if the tree should get the best of me.:msp_mad:

Ron

Back