New barn find Didier/Mont. Wards splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreginTX

Reaction score
Hello from TX. Been reading and lurking and now an owner so figured I would share.

Used this same splitter in Colorado ar 10,000 ft and it did fine and actually like the portability and low height.

Found this one on craigslist here, as is, ended up getting ut for $250. When I picked it up I knew it needed tires and was planning on all lines and all fluids. It turned over, the air cleaner was snug and original, so I bought it.

Seller took tarp off and I could tell it was in better shape than pics on CL showed. Put it in my lil 12' trailer and stopped at Northern Tool on the way home. Two new tires, suction filter kit and hose, spark plug, etc. New fluids, new plug, shot of WD 40 in the plug hole, shot of carb cleaner in carb and about 10 pulls later its idling like it should!!

USed some 400 and 800 sandpaper to get some light surface rust off the ram, and everything cycles just fine.

Swapped the coupler for a 2" and now its ready for our 4 wheeler and or Honda SXS!!!

I thinks its a solid score and amazed at how the original stickers are still there.

Found it interesting that through may readings most say these use 30W engine oil or hyd oil, and the sticker says ATF! I was going to go ATF anyway for the detergents in them.

Need to fab a new front leg if I get bored, and add a spacer to the push plate to eliminate most of the gap to the wedge at full stroke, but its still 95 degrees here and muggy as hell, so gonna relax and be happy with my score.

Thanks to all previous Dider posts for the great readings!

Greg

Oh...the hose pic/part # was for reference. It appears to be an original, molded suction line from the bottom of the tank to the inlet of the pump with two nice bends. I cut it to insert the filter kit, but thought others might like to see the number. It also had an internal spring to prevent collapse under suction I assume.

Attachments

• 20160918_135020.jpg
    20160918_135020.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • 20160918_135311.jpg
    20160918_135311.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
  • 20160918_135314.jpg
    20160918_135314.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
  • 20160918_135318.jpg
    20160918_135318.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
  • 20160918_135322.jpg
    20160918_135322.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
Welcome to the club. I put a 2" receiver hitch on my John Dear 265 lawn tractor and use it to pull every thing I have. I have 4 draw bars with 1 7/8", 2", 2 5/16", and a hole for stuff with drop pins. I used to use it to pull my Vermeer stump grinder in back yards where the truck couldn't go. Now the stump grinder is gone, but I can get the splitter wherever I want, Joe.

Welcome to the club. I put a 2" receiver hitch on my John Dear 265 lawn tractor and use it to pull every thing I have. I have 4 draw bars with 1 7/8", 2", 2 5/16", and a hole for stuff with drop pins. I used to use it to pull my Vermeer stump grinder in back yards where the truck couldn't go. Now the stump grinder is gone, but I can get the splitter wherever I want, Joe.
@rarefish383 Do you have a pic of the back of your 265 you can share?

Sure, can do in the morning. The 265 has an "L" shaped mount with a hole for a drop pin or a ball. I just bought a 2" receiver tube from TSC and welded it on. With the 4 different draw bars I can tow any of my trainable stuff. ONE draw bar had a 7" drop for a 4X4, I flipped it over for a 7" lift because my small trailer would drag the jack. It''s really useful, but some John Deere attachments won't work that need the JD hitch, Joe.

ATF is more expensive. Aw32 or 303 will work just fine too and is cheaper.

True on ATF, but I am in auto parts distribution, so have plenty of ATF to choose from at a good price, and if it will help seals (I think ATF has much more to offer than hyd fluid) and its going to get changed about every....5 years....its no real $$$ difference.
ATF is more expensive. Aw32 or 303 will work just fine too and is cheaper.

True on ATF, but I am in auto parts distribution, so have plenty of ATF to choose from at a good price, and if it will help seals (I think ATF has much more to offer than hyd fluid) and its going to get changed about every....5 years....its no real $$$ difference.

Atf is loaded with friction modifiers for clutch packs which a std hydraulic system doesn't need.

I'm not sure why many of the outfits fill splitters with ATF. My $40,000 firewood processor had ATF in it.
I asked my Dad (he's specialized in hydraulics, shafting, etc for almost 40 years) and he said the only thing he could guess is perhaps it's a bit thinner. Better in winter, bad in the summer.
The processor outfit also setup my machine without a cooler and claimed 200+* oil temps was just fine too.

So, cliff notes, ATF does work, but so could a ton of other oils too. It's not ideal.

NO heavy equipment I've worked on had ATF in it. All hydraulic oil of some type. I'd have to think if ATF was better it'd go in a $500,000+ piece of equipment!

You weld that with old coat hangers? :p

Don't worry, I've had a few welds not come out good too. Usually grind out and redo though.

Yeah, I tried with my little MIG and it looked beautiful. Hit it with the hammer and it fell right off, no penetration. I bought a cheap Harbour Freight 70 amp stick welder on sale. It worked OK. Used little teeny sticks that looked like needles, burned through them fast. The day I sold my old stick welder I knew it was a mistake. My wife said I hadn't used it in a year and the town yard sale was coming up. Think I got 50 bucks for it. I'll get a new one someday soon. I really can do much better than that, Joe.

Here's the JD 265 lawn tractor with a 2" receiver, and a bunch of the stuff I can pull or move around. I can move the big trailer with it, but, only on the flat ground, could never stop it, Joe.

I have a JD trailer that uses a pin hitch, ball hitch on my splitter and two additional trailers. Splitter requires a 1 7/8 ball with the other 2 taking a 2 inch ball. I keep the 1 7/8 inch ball on the tractor because that will handle the splitter and two trailers around the home place. I have a 2 inch ball for the receiver on my SUV.DSC01912.JPG DSC01914.JPG DSC01915.JPG DSC01916.JPG DSC01917.JPG

Latest posts

Back