New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks slow and I wonder how well it matches the cutter length on each side. Unless it centers perfectly on the bar, that chain won't be cutting straight, which is the problem I've had with every file jig I've tried.

It's pretty hard to beat Husqvarna's roller guide sharpeners IMO. Cheap, simple, and with a little practice they're nearly as accurate as a file jig. Plus they have a plate to file depth gauges, and it gets them at the right angle. I can sharpen a chain in the field in a couple minutes. Then every 3-5 hand sharpenings, it gets trued up on my grinder, which is a $100 chinese knockoff of Oregon's grinder. $130 for a bar-mounted contraption with no adjustments? Pfffft!

first try

On my first try, I took a chain that was in need of professional help. It was cutting a half moon in a 24" oak log, and truely wore out too... Now it is cutting straight, pulling very hard, and cutting fast. Finished cutting 13 rounds off same 24" pin oak log and finished noodling 8 more halfs. On a half tank of fuel with a 20" bar.
Beginners luck?? Doubt it.
After doing several chains now, it's not much slower than filing. At least for me it isn't, but I suck at filing, thats why I was looking for something to use in the field.
Works good for me so far...still on first carbide too.

Looks slow and I wonder how well it matches the cutter length on each side. Unless it centers perfectly on the bar, that chain won't be cutting straight, which is the problem I've had with every file jig I've tried.

It's pretty hard to beat Husqvarna's roller guide sharpeners IMO. Cheap, simple, and with a little practice they're nearly as accurate as a file jig. Plus they have a plate to file depth gauges, and it gets them at the right angle. I can sharpen a chain in the field in a couple minutes. Then every 3-5 hand sharpenings, it gets trued up on my grinder, which is a $100 chinese knockoff of Oregon's grinder. $130 for a bar-mounted contraption with no adjustments? Pfffft!

Don't knock it you haven't tried it. :msp_tongue:

Now, I have absolutely nothing to do with this Co., but Have been quite satisfied with the product and support. I really think this sharpener is worth a try.

I can sharpen by hand, but as I matured, (read that as got old), I switched to the roller guide you spoke of. I thought it did a bang up job. In fact I never found it necessary to true up the chain on my grinder. I really didn't like like using the grinder, with the exception of rocked chains. I now, after using the Timberline, think the Husky guide does a mediocre job. It allows the saw to cut just...OK. The Timberline probably gets as close to a factory edge as reasonably possible.

As others have stated, take a chain that you think is sharpened quite good with the roller guide, and put the Timberline sharpener on it. I, too, could not believe how different the teeth were from each other. Really opened my eyes.

As far as the cutter length from side to side, It does a fine job. I'm still measuring a tooth here and there, just to ogle what a good job "I" have done.:msp_ohmy:

I have run up on some minor problems, and most of these problems are with the length, and the file hitting the "flapper" that the tooth is backed up to. Seem not all chains are built the same, even though they might look it. Not hard to work around...and once you figure out a way that works, all the teeth on that side are uniform.

As far as raker depth is concerned, you can still use any gauge you want. I still use a gauge. but do to the uniformity of the teeth, I think that a grinder could be set up and easily do the job.

As far as speed is concerned, once a chain has been sharpened with the Timberline, the sharpening is quite fast. I sit down and day dream or listen to the radio. I know that I can sharpen a chain in less time than using the guide. I have moderate arthritis in my hands. Enough for them to be crooked, and painful. With the Timberline, I find it much easier to sharpen. I have put a larger ball on the handle, and this also adds to the ease of use for me.

I should add that I use mostly 20" chains, and don't believe I have ever sharpened by hand in a couple of minutes.

You mentioned the price...Yeah, it's not cheap. And, keep in mind that I still think in 1950-1960 prices. (Gasoline for a quarter a gal.) So I didn't purchase this gadget without some research, and gut feelings. "You pays you money, and you takes your chances." This one, is a win for me.

That's kind of what I thought. I wonder if Timberline is working on bits for use on Duro chain. Of course diamond bits would cost more however it would be a nice option.

Just picked up ms230 duro yesterday. Guess duro chain is not such a great option after all. Ok it lasts 4 times longer but need optional accessories to sharpen.

I would rather sharpen myself. Guess I will buy what ever is necessary to do so. If I like the performance of the chain. What is a decent setup. Any suggestions

I thought one of Rockstock's posts suggested that the ability to do 0 degrees was "on the horizon". I read the whole thread after that, but didn't see any mention of this again, and Phil seems to have stopped posting in the thread. Since quite a few guys here seemed to have been in touch, has anyone heard more on this front ? I haven't learned how to file yet, and would prefer not to - at least until I am finished milling some logs before snow starts falling.,,

Here is a link to a guy that wrote up some very good information on ripping chains. He knows his stuff.

Chainsaw Chain, Sawchain information for Chainsaw Mills from Procut Sawmills

Right now there is no way to set the tool up for 0˚ or even 10˚ to rip. However, that is something you may see in 2012.

Just picked up ms230 duro yesterday. Guess duro chain is not such a great option after all. Ok it lasts 4 times longer but need optional accessories to sharpen.
I have come to realize what a mistake I made. Fortunately the dealer let me exchange for 250 c-be. Thank you to all for the great advice.

pa guy said:
Guess duro chain is not such a great option after all. . . . need optional accessories to sharpen. . . . I would rather sharpen myself. Guess I will buy what ever is necessary to do so . . . but what grinder

Sounds like you went back to standard chain. In response to your earlier post, you could have found a diamond wheel to work with most any of the conventional chain grinders. But if you had to buy both the wheel, and the grinder, that would be a significant investment for one saw.

On top of that, I understand that diamond wheels get ruined if used on conventional steel chains, so it would only see limited use. It could make sense if you have several of the carbide or Duro chains, or if you could find a way to sharpen some for others to recoup some of your $$. Otherwise, it might make sense to just pay the dealer to sharpen it.

Philbert

I guess when I said (what ever was necessary) I didn't think the bench setup would cost more than double the saw price lol. I have a total of ten saws all with standard chains but I was told the duro chain was so much better. After researching duro chains I found that the performance is not as good as standard chain but it does hold its edge 4 times longer. That being the case I'll stick with standard chain and hand sharpening and hopefully getting a Timberline for Christmas.

well i finally got one on the way be interested to see how long it takes to clear customs this time of the year

Thanks for the reviews, just ordered mine. :rock:

The regular ones are on back order, but the 'limited edition' ones are availible. They are the same thing, just a different color.

Cool!!

Thanks for the reviews, just ordered mine. :rock:

The regular ones are on back order, but the 'limited edition' ones are availible. They are the same thing, just a different color.

It has very simple directions that are very easy to follow. If you've read this thread, you've got quite a few tips for use. Give yourself a little time for a learning curve and I'm confident you will love it.

Let us know what you think, good or bad, we all want to hear it.

Back