New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update rockstock. Are you with the company? I am curious when this device was released to the public and how many units have been sold? It would be nice to hear some reviews from end users.

Yes and no on the rakers. You can mount the tool at the desired height to take a bit off the rakers, however, it is much faster and simpler to use a flat file. I have something I'm working on to add onto the current design and allow accurate use of a flat file. I was wondering if most users would need a guide that determines the raker height based on the tooth length or simply a guide that keeps all the rakers uniform and letting the user determine how much is taken off?

New business this is the first year the product has been released, sold a few hundred so far. Many of our customers tell me they heard about it from a friend or someone they know that really liked the tool.

Last edited:
I like the idea of the tool, and would like to see one "in the flesh". Its a great idea for those that dont spend enough time using a saw to warrant a grinder, but also not enough time sharpening to get comfortable with a file.

I would say you need a progressive raker file, similar to a File-O-Plate, but others here can speak much more intelligently about that than I can.

One other question I had for you dealt with the angle that the carbide sharpens the tooth. Im running some of the WoodlandPro chain, which is Carlton Chisel. They suggest holding the file at a 10 degree angle for a full chisel cutter, and 0 degrees for semi chisel. Any idea how to accomplish this with your jig? I would imagine its a separate set of bushings that would have to be drilled with the angle in them already, alternating depending on the cutter.

Clarkbug;3157555 One other question I had for you dealt with the angle that the carbide sharpens the tooth. Im running some of the WoodlandPro chain said:
I had that same question, some of my chains recommend 10 degree file angle and some 0.

Right now only the 0˚ angle on the horizon is available. I could make guides with holes at that angle as Clarkbug suggested, however the trade off is that the tool would need to be reset (moved either up or down) when sharpening left vs right side teeth. Not a huge deal, but still adds an additional step. What are your thoughts? How many users do you think would want this option?

In my experience, most do not do that 10 degree tilt {I do} on their grinder or file, but to be honest, most poeple using either are not too sure
what they are trying to accomplish anyway..........

Last edited:
Hey guys I have updated some of the info on the website. I appreciate the feedback and will try to answer all your questions. . . . . Had a lot of really good reviews so far. I'm not trying to make this an advertisement on this thread, but I know more about this product than anyone. If your interested pm me and I'll give you a promo code for $30 off the tool.

It looks like an interesting product, and like you have put some thought into the design.

There are a number of ways to sharpen chains - the key is to find something that works for you. Maybe some A.S. members should try it under the money back guarantee, or the manufacturer can provide a demo unit, to get some hands on feedback.

Philbert

Right now only the 0˚ angle on the horizon is available. I could make guides with holes at that angle as Clarkbug suggested, however the trade off is that the tool would need to be reset (moved either up or down) when sharpening left vs right side teeth. Not a huge deal, but still adds an additional step. What are your thoughts? How many users do you think would want this option?

I do really think you need to figure out who your target audience is going to be, since as you know you cant make everyone happy all of the time. Im not saying you havent thought about that, but just that lots of the folks here are particular about how their chain is sharpened. I honestly am not very good at it yet, and am still learning about all of the angles, techniques, guides, etc.

My guess is lots of people here use chisel chain because it cuts faster and hogs out more wood, but again, thats just my guess, and it could be way off base.

As far as adjusting the tool, it looks like there are two bushings that hold the carbide at the 30 degree angle, right? Perhaps those could be drilled off-center and not straight through, so that you could have the 10 degree offset for left and right cutters without adjusting the tool itself. The user would just have to install the bushings in the correct orientation for the left/right hand, and then they would be set. There will probably also be some discussion about cutting one of the teeth from outside in, but again thats getting into the finer points of sharpening (no puns intended)

And I dont mean to be critical at all of this sharpener, so please dont take it the wrong way. I think its great to see someone trying to make a "new" product and get some market share established. Im looking forward to seeing how you can evolve it some.

Philbert may be onto something. I know over on the firewood forum there was some axe from Sweden (the Vario or something along those lines) that was crazy expensive, but the manufacturer sent one over here as a demo. It just made its rounds through the users here, everyone signed up in the thread, and paid to ship it to the next guy themselves. It got a lot of people to try it out, and got some good feedback posted in the forums. That may not be as good of an idea due to the fact that you would need to send extra carbides of multiple sizes, and they are a wear item.

The fact that you offer a discount code is a pretty good incentive. But there are going to be those that also want to wait until you make any improvements before spending the money.

He wants to know "What improvements"????

Would it be a good idea for a member to bring it to a GTG?

I do not see many advertised here lately, are they going the way of the "dodo"????

As far as the dodo reference, you all can google and bing........

The Oregon Team wants to film some footage of their stuff, maybe the gtg thing is the thing to do........

Late October is when the Expo is in Louisville, as well as all of their people. Maybe all of the Ohio Valley gang can get together on the same page........

Hey guys I have updated some of the info on the website. I appreciate the feedback and will try to answer all your questions.
Everyone always asks me right from the start how long the carbide cutters last. I've had many customers tell me they are very happy with the cutters after 20+ sharpenings. I've done demonstrations at trade shows using 1 carbide and after well over 100 sharpenings I would still not consider it worn out as it still does a good job. The longevity will depend on how it is used, just like a chain. Use it correctly and it will last a very long time. I've used these on air tools at 4000 rpms and they work great! Very precise at removing small amounts of metal because of the high flute count.

Yes, the .404" chain can be sharpened and uses the 7/32" carbide cutter.

The tool comes standard with the angle set at 30˚ and optional guides are available to change the angle to 25˚ or 35˚ I have been really surprised that most people really could care less about changing the angles. :msp_confused:

Had a lot of really good reviews so far. I'm not trying to make this an advertisement on this thread, but I know more about this product than anyone. If your interested pm me and I'll give you a promo code for $30 off the tool.

Fantastic Rockstock. I love innovation in the chainsaw world. I sent ya a pm for the promocode.

I spoke with Phil (Rockstock) and he has been kind enough to let me demo the device. Once it arrives I will try it out on several types of chain and saws then report back to you guys with a detailed review of the product and maybe suggest some ways to make this better or leave it alone. I am looking forward to testing this unit.

I spoke with Phil (Rockstock) and he has been kind enough to let me demo the device. Once it arrives I will try it out on several types of chain and saws then report back to you guys with a detailed review of the product and maybe suggest some ways to make this better or leave it alone. I am looking forward to testing this unit.

Yeah! Look forward to your review and comments Holshot.

Just to preface them, how do you currently sharpen your chains? Grinder guy? File fellow? Dremel dude? . . .

Philbert

Well men, I pulled the trigger on one myself. I am certainly looking forward to using it. I bet it does well. I usually file by hand, so I am curious as to how good it will sharpen the cutters. To me, the good thing is that if not satisfied w/in 30 days I can get a full refund. But, I will know w/in the 1st day whether I want it or not. I also got the $30 bucks off as well. If it does work out, I believe I will order the attachment that will angle @ 25 and 35 degrees. I prolly should have went ahead and ordered it and saved on shipping. Oh well.....

Yeah! Look forward to your review and comments Holshot.

Just to preface them, how do you currently sharpen your chains? Grinder guy? File fellow? Dremel dude? . . .

Philbert

I currently use the husqvarna combo tool and hand touch ups with files. I am no professional by any means but try my best at it.

Well men, I pulled the trigger on one myself. . . If it does work out, I believe I will order the attachment that will angle @ 25 and 35 degrees.

Thanks for taking the leap! I look forward to your review and comments.

From I have learned over the years, the different angles do make a difference, but not as much a difference as getting each cutter sharp, and the same as the other cutters on the chain. So, if you like this device, you might want to spend your $$ instead on having the different sized cutters for different sized chains.

Philbert

Thanks for taking the leap! I look forward to your review and comments.

From I have learned over the years, the different angles do make a difference, but not as much a difference as getting each cutter sharp, and the same as the other cutters on the chain. So, if you like this device, you might want to spend your $$ instead on having the different sized cutters for different sized chains.

Philbert

You know your exactly right. And I should have known that. Come to think of it, I believe Mike and I experimented one time with the chain @35 degrees, and I believe 30 degrees was better. So yes, if it is good then I will get the 3/16 and 5/32. I tell ya, it looks very promising. We shall see........

.......Just one more thing men. I really like their statement about it being made in the U.S.A. and free of ANY foreign parts or materials. I may very well be wrong, but I think this one will be a winner. ....And a huge money maker for Timberline when the word gets out.

.......Just one more thing men. I really like their statement about it being made in the U.S.A. and free of ANY foreign parts or materials. I may very well be wrong, but I think this one will be a winner. ....And a huge money maker for Timberline when the word gets out.

MacLaren,

This is the statement from the FAQ page:

The Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener is designed, packaged, and assembled in the USA of foreign and domestic parts. We work hard to produce a superior product that works well as lasts beyond expectations.

Based on that, I would say that there are some foreign parts and/or materials in this device.... Not that Im knocking it for that, just saying.

Latest posts

Back