New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Paul. When I said I was interested in some testimonials I did mean from people who had already ordered them, discussing it in this thread. That would be you, Fish, young, and likely others. Hope that clears things up.

Hey Paul. When I said I was interested in some testimonials I did mean from people who had already ordered them, discussing it in this thread. That would be you, Fish, young, and likely others. Hope that clears things up.

Man, Im sorry troy. I didnt mean to come off short with ya.

Paul, I was not trying to be short with you nor did I assume you were being short with me, its all good.:hmm3grin2orange: Just interested in what you guys think of this sharpener. Maybe something could be made to do square ground for cheaper than an ATOP.

Paul, I was not trying to be short with you nor did I assume you were being short with me, its all good.:hmm3grin2orange: Just interested in what you guys think of this sharpener. Maybe something could be made to do square ground for cheaper than an ATOP.

Right. I cant help but think that I would be about as perfect example of whether this thing actually is good or not. I say that because I just now am able to round file decently. So, that makes me IMHO part of the crowd -IMHO their target audience. I other words, with my limited experience, if I can get good results with it, well then.......But then again, it would prolly benefit the most expert filers if it works well. I guess we shall see. But, I'm sure whatever Fish says will be the skinny on it. I still say considering a man has 30 day to get a refund, what have ya got to loose?

Well I have been playing with it a while, and the best results I have seen are with the larger chain, I don't have the biggest cutter though.

Newer chain does better, and all of the saws around here have bad bar wear, so that seems to be a factor, as the center "tightener" only
takes a little bit of slop out, a worn bar will allow chain tilt, which is a bit of problem.

My first gripe, might be the back stop, but it gets better with more experience. When pulling the chain through, it is hard to get it to lock behind the chisel, as it wants to lock everywhere else too. Maybe a different angle from its hinge, maybe.View attachment 199508

And a chain with a lot of damage would need several passes on the right side, the left side can take a bigger bite because of the angle.
View attachment 199512

It would be faster to do all of the chisels first on this side, because if you alternate, you will need to back it off to get it to feed.

Last edited:
When going to this side, I have had this problem, maybe a sharper point on the carbide.......

View attachment 199513

But these are just initial observations, I will keep working with it.

That pic makes it look like you are trying to take more off that cutter than you need to. Is that the case? Trying to make it match other cutters that were rocked?

Just trying to understand this new little gadget better since I'm going to make a couple part of my fall equipment order. Hoping this will help the rookies make a usable chain.

Mr. HE:cool:

That pic makes it look like you are trying to take more off that cutter than you need to. Is that the case? Trying to make it match other cutters that were rocked?

Just trying to understand this new little gadget better since I'm going to make a couple part of my fall equipment order. Hoping this will help the rookies make a usable chain.

Mr. HE:cool:

That was the next cutter after the one in the pic before. The one before had a decent ding in it, so to even all of the cutters, on the second side
you would have to do in several passes.

The first setting would feed through the rest of that side due to the angle allowing it.

My first gripe, might be the back stop, but it gets better with more experience. When pulling the chain through, it is hard to get it to lock behind the chisel, as it wants to lock everywhere else too. Maybe a different angle from its hinge, maybe.View attachment 199508

It looks to me like the backstop is on backwards. Maybe it would be better if the backstop was angled away from the cutter to be sharpened. In my mind that would seam like it would make it work better.

Yes, you can see in the one pic where the cutter has put a groove in the backstop already, that was from my attempts on a real worn chain.

heres the video from the website.

[video=youtube_share;VWe9qJITc8E]http://youtu.be/VWe9qJITc8E[/video]

Thanks for taking the time (and spending the $) to post the pics and the write-ups here Fish. Im sure you just got the Timberline folks a bunch of sales from folks that were on the fence about this.

He sent it to me to test out, so I am only out some time. I really need to sit down and figure out the new way to embed these pics though......

Latest posts

Back