New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He sent it to me to test out, so I am only out some time. I really need to sit down and figure out the new way to embed these pics though......

Time is worth quite a bit, so its appreciated just the same!

Just got off the phone with Timberline. Said mine was shipped out today. I told him it looked really good and I thought they may be sitting on a gold mine. He scoffed at that a little-good naturedly- but told me that have have sold a few more and was glad as they could pay off some bills now. He also said it took a lot of work to get it where it is now. I really hope they make it. If it works good for me, I will sure advertise for those ole boys.

My official review of the timberline chain sharpener

Ok, Below is my personal official review of the Timberline Chain Sharpener.

My credentials and experience are as follows; I am a professional Firefighter for a DOD facility and volunteer on my days off. I am a amateur/semi-skilled at tree felling and cutting. I also am an amateur OPE mechanic. I have firm love/understanding for chainsaws and their components. With that being said take this review for what its worth and again these are my opinions only.

Before I go any further, I want to also mention that Phil (Rockstock) provided me with this unit as a demo. I have no affiliation with Timberline, or Phil.

I will try to keep this short yet informative. All the chains I sharpened were in decent shape, and attached are the chains that were sharpened.
Pros;
1. Well built and easy to use
2. Quality material
3. Easy to understand directions
4. Can do 20 inch chain in less than 5 min once versed with device
5. Takes the variances of hand filing out of the picture
6. All cutters are precise and same in all ways

Cons;
1. Initial setup/out of box cost a little high
2. Tips and angle dies not marked with appropriate size/ angles.
3. Carbide tip has area which will never be used
4. Can't adjust for the 10 degree down angle a lot of chains are supposed to be sharpened with.
5. Need second setup for filing rakers (or not, its all in what you want)

Possible improvements;
1. Etch/mark all "loose" pieces (not to difficult to figure out but would be nice).
2. Create a way to adjust carbide tip so that when one area is dull can be adjusted to use rest of tip. (part closest to the angle chuck)
3. Create a way to adjust from 0-10 (or more) down angle

At the end of the day....
1 being poor, 10 being excellent....

Packaging- 9/10
Quality of Material 9/10
Craftsmanship 9/10
Ease of instructions 9/10
Ease of use 9/10
Price of Package 7/10 ( You get what you pay for though)
Price of accessories 8/10
At the end of the day 9/10

I want to add that while sharpening my chains i could certainly tell how bad of a hand filer I really am. I even was using the Husqvarna combo tool prior to this. Some of the teeth would need no additional grinding, some a little, and some were horrendous. Again I am no professional hand filer to begin with, but I think this tool could be used by a novice to a pro with the same end results.

Below are some pics I took. Please comment or ask questions that I may have forgot or didn't remember to talk about.

View attachment 199927
View attachment 199928
View attachment 199929
View attachment 199930
View attachment 199931

Remaining pics. Someone could embed these if they like, I cant figure out how to do it.

View attachment 199932
View attachment 199933
View attachment 199934
View attachment 199935

Chain Specifications (from excel file)

Brand Type Size Qty Part Number Guage Pitch Drivers File Size File Angle Down Angle
Husqvarna H36 (91VG) 12 IN 2 501 84 21-45 .050 3/8 45 5/32 30 0
Oregon 21BPX 16 IN 3 21BPX066G .058 .325 66 3/16 30 10
Husqvarna H30 18 IN 3 501 84 06-72 . 050 .325 72 3/16 30 10
Oregon 21BPX 18 IN 2 21BPX72G .058 .325 72 3/16 30 10
Husqvarna H46 20 IN 3 501 84 25-72 .050 3/8 72 7/32 25 10
Husqvarna H47 20 IN 1 501 84 26-72 .050 3/8 72 7/32 25 10
Husqvarna H46 24 IN 3 501 84 25-84 .050 3/8 84 7/32 25 10

Remaining pics. Someone could embed these if they like, I cant figure out how to do it.

199932d1316548492-p1020127-jpg

199933d1316548497-p1020128-jpg

199934d1316548500-p1020129-jpg

199935d1316548506-p1020130-jpg

Chain Specifications (from excel file)

Code:
Brand	                      Type	    Size	Qty	     Part Number	      Guage	       Pitch	   Drivers	   File Size 	   File Angle	Down Angle
Husqvarna	        H36 (91VG)	   12 IN	     2	501 84 21-45	     .050	       3/8	     45	      5/32	       30	             0
Oregon	                   21BPX	   16 IN	3	21BPX066G	         .058	       .325	      66	       3/16	         30	              10
Husqvarna 	              H30 	   18 IN	3	501 84 06-72	      . 050	        .325	      72	      3/16	          30                10
Oregon	                    21BPX	   18 IN	2	21BPX72G	       .058	       .325	       72	        3/16       	30	              10
Husqvarna 	             H46	   20 IN	3	501 84 25-72	     .050	        3/8	        72	        7/32	         25	              10
Husqvarna                     H47	   20 IN	1	501 84 26-72	     .050	       3/8	      72	        7/32	        25	              10
Husqvarna	                    H46	   24 IN	3	501 84 25-84	      .050	        3/8	       84	        7/32	        25	              10

here you go

Ok, Below is my personal official review of the Timberline Chain Sharpener. . . . Please comment or ask questions that I may have forgot or didn't remember to talk about.

Nice review. Nice photos. Thank you for taking the time to do this and to share it (I tried to rep you for it, but apparently, you are still in my 'holding pattern').

How about the quality of the edges created - top plate and side plate? This is always a topic of discussion between grinders and filers. I know that it can be hard to photograph these, but what is your opinion of the edges and the smoothness of the cut from the carbide cutter?

Thanks.

Philbert

Nice review. Nice photos. Thank you for taking the time to do this and to share it (I tried to rep you for it, but apparently, you are still in my 'holding pattern').

How about the quality of the edges created - top plate and side plate? This is always a topic of discussion between grinders and filers. I know that it can be hard to photograph these, but what is your opinion of the edges and the smoothness of the cut from the carbide cutter?

Thanks.

Philbert

I would like to echo philberts thanks for all your work in reviewing this product..
I sent an email to timberline regarding question on chains but no response so far..
My biggest concern is how many chains could be sharpened b4 bit is unusable, do
you have any advice on this ??, using a 20 in chain as an example, how many times
do u think it could be sharpened b4 tip is unusable, at 20.00 per tip, this is an
important issue in my mind, i have 3 saws and use 3 diff bar lenghts, 18-32 inches..

Your opinion on this would be greatly appreciated..

Thx again for a great review..:cheers:

Bob..

Question for those of you who have this device (or for Phil).

Does the carbide "catch" on the inserts at all? Or is that portion of the carbide "stick" smooth? Im just wondering if over time it would wear the bushings down to the point where it wouldnt hold the angle with the same precision. I realize that could be many moons down the road, and it would STILL be better than my hand filing....

Well ask Phil....

Well whaddya you think Fish? Does it look like its a wear point, or could be one? I know you said earlier that your chains were wearing onto the little flapper that is the stop, and I figure the carbide is even harder than that (since it is sharpening the chain and all)...

Philbert, IMO the edges look great. Extremely close to the factory, I think. That carbide cutter is no joke. It is like running your finger over a bunch of razor blades.

OLD MAN GRINDER, I cant say how many chains that tip will sharpen, I would think there are several factors that determine its longevity including type of tooth, how dirty it is and how bad it is dulled to begin with. I think some one in an earlier post mentioned 20 chains. Might have been Fish of Rockstock? What I did notice is that the current tip has about a 5-10mm area closest to the angle insert that will never get used and is almost a waste. Making that tip longer then using a 5-10mm collar on the outside of the unit that is removable could double the life of the tip, IMO.

Clarkbug That part of the carbide tip is smooth and is always a solid on solid contact while in use. If you look at one of my pictures you can see how the cutter end is smaller than the rest of the "stick". Not to say it couldn't be a wear point down the road tho from in and out use over the years. I don't see it being a concern.

OLD MAN GRINDER, I cant say how many chains that tip will sharpen, I would think there are several factors that determine its longevity including type of tooth, how dirty it is and how bad it is dulled to begin with. I think some one in an earlier post mentioned 20 chains. Might have been Fish of Rockstock? What I did notice is that the current tip has about a 5-10mm area closest to the angle insert that will never get used and is almost a waste. Making that tip longer then using a 5-10mm collar on the outside of the unit that is removable could double the life of the tip, IMO.

Thx Holshot, that ans my question, if i could get a minimum of 10-15 chain sharpenings per
tip, i could live with that, i am using oregon stones in a dremel now and i go thru quite a lot
of them, i have tried hand filing over the years, but i am lousy at it LOL..
You make a good point on the unused area of the tip, and that could be fixed with some
minor modifications, and really extend the life of the tip..
Looking fwd to getting the unit, especially for use in the field..

Thx again..

Bob..

Thx Holshot, that ans my question, if i could get a minimum of 10-15 chain sharpenings per
tip, i could live with that, i am using oregon stones in a dremel now and i go thru quite a lot
of them, i have tried hand filing over the years, but i am lousy at it LOL..
You make a good point on the unused area of the tip, and that could be fixed with some
minor modifications, and really extend the life of the tip..
Looking fwd to getting the unit, especially for use in the field..

Thx again..

Bob..

from earlier in the thread.

Hey guys I have updated some of the info on the website. I appreciate the feedback and will try to answer all your questions.
Everyone always asks me right from the start how long the carbide cutters last. I've had many customers tell me they are very happy with the cutters after 20+ sharpenings. I've done demonstrations at trade shows using 1 carbide and after well over 100 sharpenings I would still not consider it worn out as it still does a good job. The longevity will depend on how it is used, just like a chain. Use it correctly and it will last a very long time. I've used these on air tools at 4000 rpms and they work great! Very precise at removing small amounts of metal because of the high flute count.

Yes, the .404" chain can be sharpened and uses the 7/32" carbide cutter.

The tool comes standard with the angle set at 30˚ and optional guides are available to change the angle to 25˚ or 35˚ I have been really surprised that most people really could care less about changing the angles. :msp_confused:

Had a lot of really good reviews so far. I'm not trying to make this an advertisement on this thread, but I know more about this product than anyone. If your interested pm me and I'll give you a promo code for $30 off the tool.

Thx Young..

I had read that but it may sound stupid, i was not sure if 25-100 sharpenings
meant complete chains or individual teeth, it is now clarified by u all..

Thx much...:cheers:

Bob..

Thx Young..

I had read that but it may sound stupid, i was not sure if 25-100 sharpenings
meant complete chains or individual teeth, it is now clarified by u all..

Thx much...:cheers:

Bob..

I was also curious Bob.

But I was more thinking, will this last to sharpen a complete chain 25-100 times, or will it sharpen 25-100 complete chains...

Latest posts

Back