New chainsaw husky 365 or stihl 064?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brand new from dealers, used from local dealer to rebuild with new rings, bearings, filters, fuel/impulse lines, gaskets and all OEM parts needed. Typical price to ship in US is $35 pho. Some remote areas have been more and I usually split shipping. No one has purchased a saw from me without first posting pictures.

What you Charge for shipping means nothing. You’re getting saws just as I described. Reselling new, or tinkering on them and reselling. If you were paying whats been claimed to be the bottom price by my detractors you couldn’t resell them for the advertised prices and come out even, never mind ahead. Thank you very much for your honesty.

You’re getting saws just as I described. Reselling new, or tinkering on them and reselling. If you were paying whats been claimed to be the bottom price by my detractors you couldn’t resell them for the advertised prices and come out even, never mind ahead.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're comparing two different scenarios in your mind and considering them the same. Most of these "inflated" price used saws have been rebuilt with new parts which costs money and labor that isn't free. Then you're trying to compare that price to a used saw price that you run across in the condition these fellas are also buying them at before the aforementioned money was put into them. Sure there's saws out there in great condition that can be flipped with no money or labor put into them, but again they would be in the condition after adding time and money to a much cheaper used saw.

My point being, yes you can find used saws in the price range you speak of, but no they won't be in the condition that these guys are selling them at, and if they are, they are few and far between, not the norm, which takes time to find them and time is money. Just like you or I wouldn't work for free, these fellas in the used saw sale business also expect to get paid. This doesn't even include the time to post the ad, pictures, answering questions, packaging, shipping etc.

The convenience of not having to do anything costs money which the customer is willing to pay, that's the way it's always been. Lazy people pay more. If I want my steak cooked for me and not have to do the dishes, I’m going to pay more than if I did the legwork myself. The supply and demand of mechanically sound used saws is what sets the market price, not a “pump and dump” scheme.

I have 3 questions that I would appreciate an answer to.

1. You said you would sell a 372 for $300, which is 1/3 the price of a new one, do you feel it's in the condition both mechanically and cosmetically that a 372 is that would bring a much higher price, the price you're calling inflated?

2. Would you mind giving a more detailed mechanical description of this $300 372, as in, why is it out of service under your bench and can you post a picture of it?

3. Do you feel a $300 372 in mechanically sound condition, that will last many many many hours, is easily found with very little legwork involved?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're comparing two different scenarios in your mind and considering them the same. Most of these "inflated" price used saws have been rebuilt with new parts which costs money and labor that isn't free. Then you're trying to compare that price to a used saw price that you run across in the condition these fellas are also buying them at before the aforementioned money was put into them. Sure there's saws out there in great condition that can be flipped with no money or labor put into them, but again they would be in the condition after adding time and money to a much cheaper used saw.

My point being, yes you can find used saws in the price range you speak of, but no they won't be in the condition that these guys are selling them at, and if they are, they are few and far between, not the norm, which takes time to find them and time is money. Just like you or I wouldn't work for free, these fellas in the used saw sale business also expect to get paid. This doesn't even include the time to post the ad, pictures, answering questions, packaging, shipping etc.

The convenience of not having to do anything costs money which the customer is willing to pay, that's the way it's always been. Lazy people pay more. If I want my steak cooked for me and not have to do the dishes, I’m going to pay more than if I did the legwork myself. The supply and demand of mechanically sound used saws is what sets the market price, not a “pump and dump” scheme.

I have 3 questions that I would appreciate an answer to.

1. You said you would sell a 372 for $300, which is 1/3 the price of a new one, do you feel it's in the condition both mechanically and cosmetically that a 372 is that would bring a much higher price, the price you're calling inflated?

2. Would you mind giving a more detailed mechanical description of this $300 372, as in, why is it out of service under your bench and can you post a picture of it?

3. Do you feel a $300 372 in mechanically sound condition, that will last many many many hours, is easily found with very little legwork involved?
I think he's getting the pictures for us right now :laugh:.
Yesterday I sold a 372 oe for 500 with a 24" bar and a square chain(doesn't matter to many, but I have time into that chain. The guy asked about it when I was buying a trailer and he saw it in my truck. When he asked how much I confidently said 500, he said I can get a new one for 800, to which I said not an oe, he said your right, smiled and said, I'll take it.
I offered him a saw he knew he couldn't buy that he knows very well and he jumped on it for a reasonable price. I've had many give me a hard time about the price of saws I've posted in the trading post, yet the saws sell and they never come back with a similar deal.This guy is a walnut logger and I'm guessing he knows the prices, he seemed quite pleased with the deal as was I :cheers:.

1st, I do understand the difference between a used saw and a tinkered saw. The claim made against me was you can’t buy anything for reasonable money. Duce is obviously buying them for reasonable money in order to resell them at a profit. That includes new. Not every used saw needs refurbishment. Some, like the ones I’ve traded could go right back in the woods. I’ve seen a lot worse in the back of my competitions’ pickups. If Duce can do it ,so can you. The average guy doesn’t need a showpiece. The 372 under my bench is non xtork with a serial number beginning with 05 , so a 2005 build date. I bought it much later as my dealer bought every non xtork he could lay his hands on and sold them long after they were unavailable to order. It’s not primped and polished. it’s still covered with pine pitch from the last job it was on. I took it out of service because I upgrade every 18-24 months . They stay under the bench because they are a parts treasure trove and worth saving in case the new saw suffers from human error. Rob a part today to get back to work, and replace that part the next time I go to the saw shop. Every guy I know does the same thing. Stick with the same model so you’ve got spares. It’s no longer a parts saw as I’ve gone to a 572. I use it around the house now. It’s never been apart. It runs as it should. A homeowner would get many years out of it at 6-8 cords a year.
I told svk I’d sell it because he declared you couldn’t buy one at that price. I’d sell it today if someone came here in need. I won’t ship , photo,etc because I don’t care if it sits under the bench til my wife has an estate sale. I’m just savvy enough to converse with you and don’t care to learn the minutiae of photo, links,etc. I’m also not prone to cave to every brat whos mother taught them that demanding something means everybody else needs to do what they want. I don’t use social media. I do business face to face whenever possible. I walk into the same bank every Friday, just like I have for almost 40 years. I don’t personally own a laptop. An iPad serves my communication and info search needs. As shown here people will say things to you while hiding behind anonymity that they’d never dare say while you look them in the eye.
I do appreciate your reasonable tone when addressing me and hope this explains my position. If you’ll excuse me I’ve got some work to do in the cab on my forwarder since it’s raining too hard to cut and skid.

I think he's getting the pictures for us right now :laugh:.
Yesterday I sold a 372 oe for 500 with a 24" bar and a square chain(doesn't matter to many, but I have time into that chain. The guy asked about it when I was buying a trailer and he saw it in my truck. When he asked how much I confidently said 500, he said I can get a new one for 800, to which I said not an oe, he said your right, smiled and said, I'll take it.
I offered him a saw he knew he couldn't buy that he knows very well and he jumped on it for a reasonable price. I've had many give me a hard time about the price of saws I've posted in the trading post, yet the saws sell and they never come back with a similar deal.This guy is a walnut logger and I'm guessing he knows the prices, he seemed quite pleased with the deal as was I :cheers:.
So you bout it for $500 and sold it for $500?

1st, I do understand the difference between a used saw and a tinkered saw. The claim made against me was you can’t buy anything for reasonable money. Duce is obviously buying them for reasonable money in order to resell them at a profit. That includes new. Not every used saw needs refurbishment. Some, like the ones I’ve traded could go right back in the woods. I’ve seen a lot worse in the back of my competitions’ pickups. If Duce can do it ,so can you. The average guy doesn’t need a showpiece. The 372 under my bench is non xtork with a serial number beginning with 05 , so a 2005 build date. I bought it much later as my dealer bought every non xtork he could lay his hands on and sold them long after they were unavailable to order. It’s not primped and polished. it’s still covered with pine pitch from the last job it was on. I took it out of service because I upgrade every 18-24 months . They stay under the bench because they are a parts treasure trove and worth saving in case the new saw suffers from human error. Rob a part today to get back to work, and replace that part the next time I go to the saw shop. Every guy I know does the same thing. Stick with the same model so you’ve got spares. It’s no longer a parts saw as I’ve gone to a 572. I use it around the house now. It’s never been apart. It runs as it should. A homeowner would get many years out of it at 6-8 cords a year.
I told svk I’d sell it because he declared you couldn’t buy one at that price. I’d sell it today if someone came here in need. I won’t ship , photo,etc because I don’t care if it sits under the bench til my wife has an estate sale. I’m just savvy enough to converse with you and don’t care to learn the minutiae of photo, links,etc. I’m also not prone to cave to every brat whos mother taught them that demanding something means everybody else needs to do what they want. I don’t use social media. I do business face to face whenever possible. I walk into the same bank every Friday, just like I have for almost 40 years. I don’t personally own a laptop. An iPad serves my communication and info search needs. As shown here people will say things to you while hiding behind anonymity that they’d never dare say while you look them in the eye.
I do appreciate your reasonable tone when addressing me and hope this explains my position. If you’ll excuse me I’ve got some work to do in the cab on my forwarder since it’s raining too hard to cut and skid.
I think a lot of this disconnect was coming from a clear understanding of what the condition is of a “1/3 the price new” saw is. So here you’re saying it’s fully operational and the average firewood hack would get many years out of it, but it’s ugly and has never been gone through before the would be sale. That clears up a lot of the confusion for me on what you’re willing to let go for $300.

Some of my questions weren’t answered though, and they may help everyone see each other’s point of view. I’ll reword them to fit what information you just gave.

1. Do you feel a $300 372 in mechanically sound condition, that will last many many hours, is easily found with very little legwork involved? As in, $300 372’s are commonly found. This question needs to be answered honestly. Remember, not everyone wants to do the searching that these sellers do to find deals, garage sales, estate sales, monitoring Craigslist daily, etc.

2. If they’re not commonly found and the buyer doesn’t want to do the searching, do you feel the seller deserves a premium for doing that leg work?

3. Do you feel a saw that has been gone through prior to the sale to assure no immediate future problems should demand a higher price? Like what Duce and others are doing with these used saws.

As shown here people will say things to you while hiding behind anonymity that they’d never dare say while you look them in the eye.
I saw the posts where people called you a liar about having these saws and then clammed up when a bet was offered. This is not right, definetely not how I was raised. If you’re going to call someone out you better be willing to put something where your mouth is. Over the internet, that something would be money. Those who disparaged you and then ran should man up and either take the bet or retract their statement.

I think a lot of this disconnect was coming from a clear understanding of what the condition is of a “1/3 the price new” saw is. So here you’re saying it’s fully operational and the average firewood hack would get many years out of it, but it’s ugly and has never been gone through before the would be sale. That clears up a lot of the confusion for me on what you’re willing to let go for $300.

Some of my questions weren’t answered though, and they may help everyone see each other’s point of view. I’ll reword them to fit what information you just gave.

1. Do you feel a $300 372 in mechanically sound condition, that will last many many hours, is easily found with very little legwork involved? As in, $300 372’s are commonly found. This question needs to be answered honestly. Remember, not everyone wants to do the searching that these sellers do to find deals, garage sales, estate sales, monitoring Craigslist daily, etc.

2. If they’re not commonly found and the buyer doesn’t want to do the searching, do you feel the seller deserves a premium for doing that leg work?

3. Do you feel a saw that has been gone through prior to the sale to assure no immediate future problems should demand a higher price? Like what Duce and others are doing with these used saws.

I saw the posts where people called you a liar about having these saws and then clammed up when a bet was offered. This is not right, definetely not how I was raised. If you’re going to call someone out you better be willing to put something where your mouth is. Over the internet, that something would be money. Those who disparaged you and then ran should man up and either take the bet or retract their statement.
Nobody disparaged him then ran....secondly if someone wants to make a bet on something to be proven over the internet, who is to say he wouldn't steal photos or buy one at a higher price to prove the point and win the bet?

Tim showed cash and I was willing to pay Paypal plus shipping......JH did nothing but flap his trap and make excuses.

What I’m getting at, and I think most if not all will agree, is that it’s not impossible to find a used saw 1/3 the price of new that is in mechanically sound condition that can be used immediately , but it’s not a common occurrence, to the point of being rare. It takes searching.

The motivated and lucky people find these deals. Some of those motivated people resell them for a profit to those who aren’t motivated enough to find those deals. For that lack of motivation, they pay a premium and the motivated seller makes a profit. It’s capitalism, at its finest.

Nobody disparaged him then ran....secondly if someone wants to make a bet on something to be proven over the internet, who is to say he wouldn't steal photos or buy one at a higher price to prove the point and win the bet?

Tim showed cash and I was willing to pay Paypal plus shipping......JH did nothing but flap his trap and make excuses.
Some people called him a liar without any proof to back up that claim. I don’t lie and when accused of it, I don’t take it lightly. I’m sure most honest people don’t either.

He stated he had the bill of sale for the one 372, and stated some other time, date, stamp material he would provide. The bill of sale would match the serial number on the saw.

I've had him on ignore since page 4, did he actually show any pics?
No, but his last post explains his stance on this. He also said from the get go the saw needs to be picked up at his house and he isn’t willing to ship it. I’m sure he’d make exceptions to someone who hasn’t mouthed off to him like when he told the OP he could PM him.

I have pretty good radar for frauds and I’ve got zero alarms going off that he is one. Hell, he stated his business name and it’s all searchable. I did it and it’s legit, matches his screen name and all.

@svk click the show ignored content and read this quote and do your homework. This dude ain’t a fraud and people need to man up for disparaging him.

What do I do for a living? For the last 38 years I’ve cut and forwarded saw logs and pulp. Don’t believe me? R.I. woods operator # 21-31, arborist lic # 403, Ct supervising harvester lic # 001052. Unlike you I don’t hide behind a screen name and sling BS as sport.

No, but his last post explains his stance on this. He also said from the get go the saw needs to be picked up at his house and he isn’t willing to ship it. I’m sure he’d make exceptions to someone who hasn’t mouthed off to him like when he told the OP he could PM him.

I have pretty good radar for frauds and I’ve got zero alarms going off that he is one. Hell, he stated his business name and it’s all searchable. I did it and it’s legit, matches his screen name and all.
The man continues to make excuses.....

Multiple of us showed genuine interest before the excuses started to flow and things got heated. He clearly is a liar, regardless of his the fact that his username matches his business.

@svk click the show ignored content and read this quote and do your homework. This dude ain’t a fraud and people need to man up for disparaging him.
As I mentioned, there has been nothing but smack talk and excuses coming from JH. I have no idea why you have decided to defend him, other that the fact that it is apparent you and Tim have bad blood from previous interactions on the forum and you are simply trying to give Tim a hard time by playing the devil's advocate.

The man continues to make excuses.....

Multiple of us showed genuine interest before the excuses started to flow and things got heated. He clearly is a liar, regardless of his username/business.
I suggest you un-ignore him and start from the beginning of what was offered about these $300 saws.

I suggest you un-ignore him and start from the beginning of what was offered about these $300 saws.
Won't be happening. I am enjoying reading the responses to his verbal diarrhea even without needing to read his garbage.

Do you have any reason to defend this man, other than to take shots at Tim?

As I mentioned, there has been nothing but smack talk and excuses coming from JH. I have no idea why you have decided to defend him, other that the fact that it is apparent you and Tim have bad blood from previous interactions on the forum and you are simply trying to give Tim a hard time by playing the devil's advocate.
I have no issue with Tim at all. He’s just not my breed, and I have no issue accepting that, we would be able to sit down and have a cup of coffee face to face or run saws anytime.

As far as defending “JH”, you’re perceiving things wrong. What your‘re witnessing is me speaking out on my core beliefs, I would speak out and stand up no matter who it is if what I see is wrong.

I don’t disparage someone if I’m not willing to stand up like a man when called out on it. He’s being called a liar with zero proof. He’s provided his real name, name of business, license numbers, he obviously has used saws under his bench being a logger, to call him a liar because of no picture is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back