New Chainsaw Selection - Advice Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Brady,

If you want a pro saw as you know you will have to open your wallet here down under. With the amount of cutting you'd be doing a pro saw would'nt be necessary but it would most likeley last you a life time, with spare parts avaliable for a long time into the future. The brands to look at would be Stihl, Husky, Makita (which is Dolmar from Germany) and Echo. If I were you I would get a 50cc pro. If your going to cut big logs like the pic Arthur posted you will need a 70cc plus saw.

Can't overstate the matter of Australian hardwood - two concerns: (a) it's comparatively difficult for a saw to cut; and (b) it creates a huge amount of ultra-fine dust

Looking at US/Canadian YouTube etc vids you'll quickly appreciate how different their soft and semi-hard woods are

Completely different scenario

In my experience, Husky's air filtration system copes far better with fine dust - I bought a Stihl FarmBoss as it was considered the defining ag saw, but it couldn't cope with big wood and was ceaselessly bogged up with dust - I was changing the air filter over with each tank of fuel - Husky maybe every 10 tanks or so

If the difference in dollars is not a huge concern, I'd go into the pro line of either brand and look at mid-high 50cc and up to mid 70cc - if you can avoid sectioning big trunks, then no need to be hauling around a 70cc saw - but if this is part of the remit, then pretty difficult to cut hardwood trunks with anything less

Pretty sure the latest generation stihl pro saws have better filtration then the XP saws at the moment. Not sure about the farm ad home saws though. Someone will have to pipe in who has the latest of both brands .

Thanks for your advice everyone, very helpful!

I'm thinking I'll go closer to the 60-70cc mark rather then the 50 incase I do need to cut up some big stuff as I don't plan on upgrading for as long as I can get away with it.
I also think ill spend a little bit more and get a pro saw as money isn't an issue and seems like it'll be worth it in the long run.
So now I'm tossing up between the 362 and the 381 (381 doesn't seem to be available on the US website) The 381 seems to be about $100 cheaper and has better power then the 362.
Cheers.

RPTcAas.png

This seems to be the professional models available in Australia.

how big is the wood you are cutting is the main question that will determine what size saw is right for you. imho, Pro saws are worth getting, even if you won't use it daily.

The sweet spot in new Pro quality saws:

10" and under wood = Stihl 241cm if you want light weight. Stihl 261cm if you want slightly more power (and more weight) for better handling on 12 to 16" wood.
In this range, Stihls competition are 421 Dolmar (Makita EA4300) and arguably the strongest of the bunch, a used Husky 346, or new husky 550 or its cousin Jonsered 2253.

10-20" wood = Stihl 362cm or Husky 555/562xp, Jonsered 2260, Dolmar 6100.

21"+ wood = Stihl 441cm, Husky 372, Jonsered 2172, Dolmar 7300,

Monstah sized wood = more saw than I'll ever need or want to carry, so others can chime in here.

Personally I've had a few Stihls and prefer the Husky ergonomics and slim factor handling. My signature tells my preferences, but each to their own.
Welcome Brady!

Great advice right here.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the market to buy a new chainsaw and my first chainsaw.
I've decided I want to go with a stihl as I've read a lot of reviews on not being able to beat the brand, but I'm needing help deciding which model is best for my use.

Alright ya wolves. Walk it back and respond to what the guy is asking for. Get over the bias and red a$$es and give the guy what he wants.

Hey Brady, I live in your area and I got lots of helpful info off this site before buying both my saws.
Only thing to keep in mind is that a lot in this site seem to be cutting soft wood. We only have hardwood. Make a big difference to what size saw you need.
In saying that I have a (50cc) 550xp husqy which is perfect for camping/4wd and smaller wood.
Because I have wood heating I bought a (70cc) husqy 372xp, after using the 550 for a couple of years and finding a bit too small.
So if you think you may need a firewood saw later, go 60cc plus.
As far as brand goes, I've done lots of research and spoke to lots of people. A stihl or husqy pro saw are both top qaulity tools. There a good and not so good models in each. The people who say husqy are rubbish are people who have only had stihl and vice/versa.

Can't seem to see the 372xp for sale on the Australian website but pops up on the US site.
Maybe not available in Australia?

I got mine from the US, here we have the 576. not sure if you want that big just for camping etc. I would look at a 562 if only having one saw and not necessarily cutting heaps of wood. Very compact powerful 60cc.
If I had only one saw it would be a 70cc but I have wood heating

Yeah I think I'm set on a 50-60cc saw. I might have a look into the 562xp, just done a fair bit of research on it and seems like a soild saw.

Good to hear another voice re' Australian hardwood vs North American and Scandinavian softwoods ...

I reckon anyone who bothers to ask a question about saws on a website like this is going to be a bit analytical / critical when it comes to using it

Suboptimal stuff just doesn't work well with tough wood - it's not icing on the cake

If you're going with the Stihls, then make sure that the model you're looking at has their new HD filtration system - the MS362 seems to, but not sure that the MS381 does

The MS362 looks to be closely comparable (specs and price) to Husky's 562XP auto-tune

This size would be fine unless doing a lot of big hardwood trunks - that's probably the decision point - no need to go above this otherwise - if you're looking at sectioning (a lot of) big hardwood trunks, then you need at least low-mid 70cc

I've got a 372XP and it's brilliant, but they're not sold here anymore - imports are possible - the 576XP is the next step up, and the baseline now for those with a lot of firewood / property work - but probably overkill in your case

So it's not really worth spending the extra $400-500 and getting a professional over a farm owners chainsaw? Would a 311 Or a 291 be suitable for my use or should I spend the extra and get a 362 or 381.

From the description of what you use the saw for a homeowner grade is very suitable. You won't be cutting enough to see any advantage to a pro-grade saw.

I'm happy to buy a other brand just I've googled a fair bit and stihl seems to be a lot more popular. But as you know I don't know much about saws so I'm not really biased or fussed on what saw I get.

One big advantate of Stihl over the others is the 'inside clutch'. Pince a bar, one can drop the power head easily. Others with the outside clutch it is a real struggle. I've been there, done that numerous times with both Stihl and other brands. That is one of the reasions why my stable is all Stihl.

If you're going with the Stihls, then make sure that the model you're looking at has their new HD filtration system - the MS362 seems to, but not sure that the MS381 does

The MS362 looks to be closely comparable (specs and price) to Husky's 562XP auto-tune

I'm currently comparing the 362 with the 562 and it's a tough one. 562 seems favorable in what I've read so far.
The 381 doesn't seem to have the updated filter on it hence why its a little bit cheaper then the 362 even though its a bigger saw.

Slowly starting to lean towards the 562 but will research a bit more and wait for more opinions. Maybe a poll between them would help me decide quicker :p

From the description of what you use the saw for a homeowner grade is very suitable. You won't be cutting enough to see any advantage to a pro-grade saw.

Fair call. Maybe a 391 farm boss will do me just fine. I'll only be using it a 10 or 20 times a year.
But yet again a few hundred dollars isn't going to be much if I plan on keeping it until it dies and if I do ever need to cut bigger wood it'd come in handy.

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking 50cc or even 40cc. I have a 550xp and a Dolmar ps7900, I have taken the 550xp camping but theres no way Id take the big saw as it comes into its own on 20" plus logs. Why would you want to cut and split huge logs if you can get away with 4,6,8, 10 or 12 inch logs. Being aussie hard wood 12" logs will burn all night. The only reason you'd want a big saw is if all the small stuff is taken and your forced to cut and spilt your camping wood.
As for you fire pit wheres your wood coming from can you pick and choose your wood size?
I'm a big guy and yes you can cut small stuff with a big saw but its not that nice to use on small wood.
Best option, see if you can borrow a couple of saws and do some test cuts, then you will know whats best for you.

Hope that helps

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking 50cc or even 40cc. I have a 550xp and a Dolmar ps7900, I have taken the 550xp camping but theres no way Id take the big saw as it comes into its own on 20" plus logs. Why would you want to cut and split huge logs if you can get away with 4,6,8, 10 or 12 inch logs. Being aussie hard wood 12" logs will burn all night. The only reason you'd want a big saw is if all the small stuff is taken and your forced to cut and spilt your camping wood.
As for you fire pit wheres your wood coming from can you pick and choose your wood size?
I'm a big guy and yes you can cut small stuff with a big saw but its not that nice to use on small wood.
Best option, see if you can borrow a couple of saws and do some test cuts, then you will know whats best for you.

Hope that helps

As for picking my wood size, no I'm not going to have much of a choice but most my wood we be up around the 10-15inch size. But wouldn't hurt getting some bigger stuff if thats all I can get my hands on. Can always split it. But I'm thinking somewhere mid range cc 50 or 60cc would be a good place to start not to big to cut small stuff and not to small to cut bigger stuff.

Hope that helps
I hear what your saying but we all love a powerful saw. I'm 5'11 and usually under 70kgs, 550 is a beautiful light weight saw, but I don't think I would ever reach for anything smaller.
I agree a 70-80cc saw is not ideal for camping.
Anything above 8-10inchs Il choose my 70 over the 50.
It's a lot quicker to cut bigger stuff n split it than small stuff.
I definitely don't think you'll find a 562 too big.

Back