New Dolmar 5100S Review from the dude...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont think you would like the results of such tests. the 5100's dont seem to cut nearly as fast as many owners thought they did.

come to think of it the 361 seems to suffer abit from the same scenario.
boese104.gif

Well if the 5100 is indeed slower than a 346:monkey: and the 361 is even slower, how come Don's muff mod 361 beat the ported 346? I thought the 361 cut faster......I must have been seeing things.:dizzy: NOT

Blasphemy! Everyone knows nothing less than another manufactures saw of at least 70cc could possibly come close to a 346NE! You must have pulled a Wanab and not told of your mods!

lol. Nope both saws were bone stock. The two saws are so close in power it's a non factor.:deadhorse: Buy the one you like best, run it and be happy.

No need to, the difference is pretty obvious, and the real weight difference is quite a bit less than the specs tell you.......

Comparing the 5100 to a Husky 359 would be a totally different story....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh come on Troll, we need an honest to goodness, real world test and you're the perfect candidate. We trust you to report, fair & square.:popcorn:

You have both saws.....Dress them up and take them out for night on the town......Can't wait to hear all the details!:greenchainsaw:

This coming from a Harley guy. . . :) :cheers:

Have not spent a dime extra on my 5100 and it runs great.....Less than 350.00 with tax..........:) :)

I use a MS180 to limb and my 5100 block with.... If I had a NE346 it would take the place of my 180 and the 5100 would still be used for blocking...:) :)

Last edited:
Had to return my Dolmar 5100S

I registered just to comment on the Dolmar 5100S -
I have just had the most aggravating experience - after purchasing a new saw from a local dealer I ran it for less than a month. It was never easy to start but once started it cut fine and it was a big improvement over the old saw (pioneer P90) that gave up after many many hours of use over many years.
After cutting about 3 cords of fire wood the Dolmar 5100S quit in the middle of a tank of gas.
I could not get it to start again.
I took it back to the dealer and they could not get it to start either - new fuel, new plug but could not get it to go.
They replaced the saw with a new one that started easily.
I took it home and after less than one tank of gas it quit again -never to be restarted again.
I took it back to the dealer and they could not get it to start again either.
I was pleased that the dealer gave me a full refund, but very disappointed with the frustration and time consuming run around over this saw. I spent more time running around after it than I did cutting wood.
Perhaps there is a manufacturing defect in the latest production - it seemed to me that something let go in the carb and it was over fueling.
If you do buy one get an agreement from the dealer that they will give you a refund if you have any trouble. The guy I dealt with was good but they might not all be.

I have just had the most aggravating experience - after purchasing a new saw from a local dealer I ran it for less than a month. It was never easy to start but once started it cut fine and it was a big improvement over the old saw (pioneer P90) that gave up after many many hours of use over many years.
After cutting about 3 cords of fire wood the Dolmar 5100S quit in the middle of a tank of gas.
I took it back to the dealer and they could not get it to start either - new fuel, new plug but could not get it to go.
I took it home and after less than one tank of gas it quit again -never to be restarted again.
I was pleased that the dealer gave me a full refund, but very disappointed with the frustration and time consuming run around over this saw. I spent more time running around after it than I did cutting wood.
Perhaps there is a manufacturing defect in the latest production - it seemed to me that something let go in the carb and it was over fueling.
If you do buy one get an agreement from the dealer that they will give you a refund if you have any trouble. The guy I dealt with was good but they might not all be.

Lemme see here. Two bad 5100s. OK. I've got it:

TROLL

Who's the dealer ? I'd love to commend him for the fantastic service.
I'd also like to see if I can grab those 2 saws for cheap.
I hope you get a saw that works well for you.

Lemme see here. Two bad 5100s. OK. I've got it:

TROLL

lol.I remember last year some guy claimed to be a dealer.Said he sold 50 5100s and everyone of them burned up.He had some story about paint peeling of the inside of the crankcase. The 5100 seems to bring them out for some reason.Ron

lol.I remember last year some guy claimed to be a dealer.Said he sold 50 5100s and everyone of them burned up.He had some story about paint peeling of the inside of the crankcase. The 5100 seems to bring them out for some reason.Ron
Kinda like the Sara Palin of saws.

Almost every 5100 will pop on the first or second pull. The rest will pop on the 3rd. From what you posted you fried both saws with bad gas.
I'll take em off the dealers hands and I'll put new piston and cylinders on them with decomp. :cheers:
Doesn't look like your dealer is any smarter than you are?

It was funny when I called mag power and had them read that thread......They really had a interesting read.....:clap::clap:

I have had almost every dolmar I sold (about 50 saws) come back with a scored piston and cylinder--- even the one I own that ran of 100ll av gas--pieces of crap in my opinion and dolmar would not even honer the warrantys!!!!

Paint coming off crankcases of never ran saws is NOT my fault. I can go into a new dolmar and chip the paint away with my fingernail NO kidding.

I asked them to come to my shop and all the distributer said is "We can't afford that" Then I begged them for help but mag power just kept saying "nobody else is having these problems"
Then mag power said we would be the offical test site in the PNW for testing new product, so I was all excited but that never went through. I asked for some special crank tools but never got them. Mag power kept saying, fix the customers saw or give them a new one. BUT the warranty claims still havent been paid for 6 months later after being approved by mag power. The saws that had paint coming off the crankcase got sent back to dolmar (terry green) but they swear it's the ethonal causing the paint to chip!!! I constantly test our and our customers gas for ethonal but never found more than 10%. I would love to get closure with the problems that dolmar has , I already know it's not my improper diagnoses as their is more than I in our shop that has many years of 2 stroke mechanics under the belt. Willy the senior mechanic, cut timber for 40 years and been working on saws for 50 years.

nut! :)

Last edited:

I guess theirs a reason that they make electric chainsaws for some. :chainsaw:

hmm

I dunno where i've been... Missing all this... I cut about 100 cord with my 5100 last year, haven't had a stit of a problem yet... I cut about 10 cord this past weekend with it, that was it in the video I posted earlier also... That dude does know he needs oil in the gas right???

:confused:

Hope he wasn't buying some knock off or something...

hmph!!

Kinda like the Sara Palin of saws.

I wouldn't mind seeing palin in a bikini holding a 5100 on top of a woodpile, lmao...

:cheers: eh?

Or in a couple other compromising positions around the woodpile either, lmao... That whole librarian thing ya know... Andddd, she'd sure be able to buy me alot of saws, lmao...

Last edited:
Back