New Dolmar 5100S Review from the dude...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you live in a log home. I was curious, there appears to be cutouts in the wall where you can take those log sections out to get air/light in possibly, reminds me of the old days and how they would do that because they didn't have windows readily available.

Is that what those plug looking sections are? (on either side of the door)

uh hummm...

Uh huh. Sure you did.

Excuse me, I meant face cord, which would be the equivalent to 3.33333 full cord, or just over 3 dump truck loads. Ur so smart Mule. Thanks for catching that. Must've been the details they taught you in lawschool eh? hehehe

:yourock:

Ahhhhh

I see you live in a log home. I was curious, there appears to be cutouts in the wall where you can take those log sections out to get air/light in possibly, reminds me of the old days and how they would do that because they didn't have windows readily available.

Is that what those plug looking sections are? (on either side of the door)

I was looking for what you were talking about... That old cabin was just refinished/remodeled... They added those little cutout logs in places where they close in windows that were there. Most of them go to little utility rooms that once had windows in them... Pretty cool about the vents and lights guy.

:cheers: eh?

I was looking for what you were talking about... That old cabin was just refinished/remodeled... They added those little cutout logs in places where they close in windows that were there. Most of them go to little utility rooms that once had windows in them... Pretty cool about the vents and lights guy.

That's kinda cool. I was at first wondering if those cutouts were added, and they had to shape other logs to look/match the existing ones there or not.

Interesting cabin, great place to be I'm told, but I've never been there. Any traditional bark work as done in the 'daks? Would be cool to twig the outside of the openings on those cutouts and adding some bark on the interiors. I'm just thinking out loud...:cheers:

I'm in the middle of building a home for my family, I want to leave it to our kids. I'm using square logs and dovetailin' them together in the Appalachian style. I guess all styles have their pluses and minuses...

I have to ask, did your family harvest and build the cabin themselves? I saw the pics of your old flat belt mill, that's pretty cool...

That Dolmar looks happy on the porch! Nice looking saw!

That's kinda cool. I was at first wondering if those cutouts were added, and they had to shape other logs to look/match the existing ones there or not.

Interesting cabin, great place to be I'm told, but I've never been there. Any traditional bark work as done in the 'daks? Would be cool to twig the outside of the openings on those cutouts and adding some bark on the interiors. I'm just thinking out loud...:cheers:

I'm in the middle of building a home for my family, I want to leave it to our kids. I'm using square logs and dovetailin' them together in the Appalachian style. I guess all styles have their pluses and minuses...

I have to ask, did your family harvest and build the cabin themselves? I saw the pics of your old flat belt mill, that's pretty cool...

That Dolmar looks happy on the porch! Nice looking saw!

I love it here in the daks. Cept for tree huggers its still a good place live I think. Lots of wood to cut, lots to do outdoors. That cabin was originally an old hotel. Probably about 75 or 80 yrs old is all. They renovated and turned it into little apt's. The family sawmill in the photos was originally on wheels I was told. My great G-father bought it back in the 40's from old man Hazelton out in Jay, NY... Traded a bulldozer for it is what I was told. Now it has that old Cat engine chained down and it's one of the few belt and pulley driven saws left. The cabin you can see in other pictures around the sawmill was milled and made with that mill. Its probably 50yrs old I'd guess, back when my uncles and the rest of the family was going at it full bore. Use to cost about $30 for a set of teeth for the saw, now it's over $100. Between that and cost of gas, they don't do a whole lot of sawing any more, mostly firewood and if they are sawing it's pine. Anyhoot, I did actually do that with the twigs before I left. I took small cedars, cut them in 1/2, and made trim inside the apartments and around the windows and whatnot. Turned out real nice most people thought. Take care guy and good luck with your house building... Be nice if you got some pics up here for us to see.

Latest posts

Back