New Dolmar Chainsaw 70cc+ Suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I foresee the 6400 being dropped because now we have the 6100.
The 7300 and 7900, although just received some emissions upgrades really is becoming an old design yet a good one at that.
The 9010 never got a replacement along with the top handle 3410.

M-tronics, better air filter(like hd2 filters), qaud port engine, adequate oiler(bars up to 32"), better spring av like the solo 681, hyper fast throttle response and lots of high tech lightweight materials used. Oh l forgot..lots of carbon fiber. Its hard to descibe how to put 'personality' into a saw but its got to be pleasant to run yet angry when you hit the throttle.

Strato scavenging, for starters, is a must. Compact as possible (lose the ez-start). Auto-tune a plus. Light as possible without stihl-ish snappy cranks. No Zama carbs, please. Spring A/V like the PS-6100 or Husqies. Broad, flat torque curve like that of PS-6100. Satellite radio would be good. :D

Prices in line with current models would seal lots of deals.

Something that meets all the EPA standards by having an easily removed baffle in the exhaust, that then runs like a raped ape after 5 minutes work and a retune is an acceptable result.
So lighter, stronger and more refined than a 7900 - either out of the box or 5 minutes later.
No dawgs that look like a kids idea of a ninja throwing knife would be nice too.

What features/designs would you like to see on a new generation of Dolmar Chainsaws in the 70-90cc range?

It should have the same filter as6100 equivalent to the cc of saw strato?? Dolmar just needs to get it right right out of the gate. If the larger cc saws will run like my 6100 priced competitively. They should do ok.

NO AUTOTUNE! Many pro saw users still prefer to tune their own saw. Besides, you shouldnt need a computer hookup to work on a chainsaw!

Like Weedkilla said, lose the star wars bucking dogs, and tame down the size, no reason to lose 3" of bar length on monster dogs unless you need them. Make larger dogs an accessory.

Build the larger models to run as SMOOTH as the 6100, they are a joy to run.

US Market, gotta have a cupholder.

My wishlist

1- EFI. Simple, and if it can work in a cut off saw it can easily work in a chainsaw.

2- Better B&C oiling capacity. My 7900 is ok with a 28 inch set up but after that really seems inadequate for prolonged use. A large displacement saw means long bars whether they're needed or not, and strong oil flow is required.

3- Based on the 5100and 7900, better air filtration. While I've never really had an issue I attribute this more to being aware of the saw's filtration shortcomings and compensating by more frequent cleanings. (Kind of like running a MS200T)

4- Heated handle and carb option is a must. Really helps old guys like me when it's cold and/or damp. Improve the heat control switch. The one on the 5100 is not positive and it's hard to tell if the heat is on until you actually start cutting.

5- Add captive bar nuts. I always carry spares but seem to loose them in the weeds and brush no matter how careful I am.

6- Bucking spikes. Keep the current 7900 big spikes if you wish, but for Pete's sake give those of us that don't want them an option. Making the spike mounting bolt up compatible with either Stihl or Husky would solve that issue.

7- Lose the Oregon bar(s) or ship without bar at all and let the buyer select his or her brand preference. (Quite positive somebody forgot to heat treat the rails on the bar that came on my 5100.)

8- Pick a control switch configuration and carry it through the line. This is one thing I really like with my Stihls, they all operate the same and I never have to think, just flip my right thumb up or down.

9- Keep the hasped / hinged top cover. Can always get the top off with a pocket knife, or in a pinch, a belt buckle.

10- Keep the clutch inboard. Being able to get the powerhead off, and out of harms way when pinched or a tree sets back is vital. I can live with eating a B&C if need be, but smashed powerheads add up real quick.

BTW, I'll volunteer to test a prototype.

Take Care

Send a few of the prototype saws out to dealers to be put in the hands of real world users that are going to run them in all possible conditions including extreme cold or dusty conditions just to name a couple

Some good points. I know last year a bigger than 7900 saw was supposed to be in design stage. My 2c...

1. Standard 6100 / HD filter.

2. 6100 level anti-vibe. Buttery!

3. Small / large dog option.

4. Must be over 6hp! Preferably closer to 7. Dolmar NEEDS a saw that can run a 36-42" in order to keep appealing to true pros.

5. Strato works...I prefer it to autotune options.

6. See point 4- get the oiler opened up!

7. I dunno, just make it solid and awesome.

Latest posts

Back