New Dolmar Chainsaw 70cc+ Suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well written post there. (didn't quote the whole thing for space purposes).

Not sure that you and Steve aren't exagerating the 20:1 thing though. That would mean that if you sell 60 Dolmars, then you are only selling 3 Jonnys. If that's the case, I'd get rid of the Jonnys and put some more Dolmars on the wall. In my store, the Huskys outsell the Jonnys at an 8:1 ratio, and even that seems kind of lopsided to me. But there is a following for the Jonnys and it's well worth keeping them.

One thing that makes it easier for me is the fact that most of the parts are the same, and I don't have to make a huge parts investment to support my second line. When I tried Dolmar, and with you guys having Jonsered, it's a different ballgame cause the only parts that interchange are the bar nuts and the spark plug. And it's hard to justify having a lot of parts to support a handful of saws. Then your reputation takes a hit. Instead of saying, "I've got that in stock", you're saying, "I have to order it". Not good for you or the customer.

And in the end, the big question is: Does the second line actually generate ADDITIONAL sales, or does it simply split your sales between 2 brands? With the exception of a couple guys who bought 7900's from me, every other Dolmar sale easily would have been a Husky or Jonny sale anyway, so where's the benefit to having another brand?

The 20:1 number was just a guess but I just ran the exact number and it's 24:1.:laugh:

Well, Spike, I admit 20:1 might be a tad far...but 12:1 certainly isn't. I see your point on stocking parts and canning the line. I've thought about it. But we have been a Jred dealer for 35 years. They've just slipped slowly out of the public mind due to poor marketing, etc. So, yeah, Dolmar and Efco outsell them easy. Dolmar and Efco together easily outsell them 20:1. BUT...there are die hard Jred guys in town who want them and them only, so I keep them. And it gives the guys who like Husqy but don't like the dealer a chance to get the saw they want in red from a guy they do like. And it gives (along with my Redmax account) a good amount of crossover part access. I see your point on parts inventory, but since I've been a dealer so long we have a bunch of NOS Jred parts, and the new stuff I just select the common stuff and order the rest, it's next day shipping on them. Bars, sprockets, air filters, etc. I keep in stock whether I'm a Jred ealer or not due to high Husqy repair volume. Dolmar parts has been easy to stock. Because I've only actively sold the current line up (dealer for 4 years,) that's all I stock the parts for. Older saw, except for gas caps, I order everything. Again, 24 hr delivery. If I were to lose a line, it would be Jred, no question. But hell, I have them so I'll limp them along.

How about a quiet four cycle. I was told at the Dolmar booth at the Paul Bunyan show an extendable four stroke 25cc pole saw (4t, four stroke) would be available like next week and that was a few months ago. I don't buy the line about cost being super more. They didn't seem to understand why I wanted a non extendable one but said I could get just the attachment and a trimmer, looks like one could get more cc's that way.

What are we looking at first quarter of 2015 for a release of something?

So are Dolmar engineers working on any kind of self-regulating carburetor or fuel injection? I'm pretty confident they are. I guess the real question is, do they have anything to unveil on the horizon?

So are Dolmar engineers working on any kind of self-regulating carburetor or fuel injection? I'm pretty confident they are. I guess the real question is, do they have anything to unveil on the horizon?
I was told they have it and are testing it but not to look for it anytime soon. Which to dolmar means they could release something next week or never.

I agree with most everyone that has posted so far. It seems like the saws are very comparable (maybe slightly heavier than competition). But before I bought my ps421 I hadn't heard about dolmar much. I knew about them but didn't know what kind of quality or really any about them at all. I bought one on recommendation from several on this site, and am thoroughly happy with it. I would even go as far to say that I would look at Dolmar closer than husky or even stihl and I have always been a stihl guy. Keeping the power competitive is very important, but keeping weight down may be even more so. It must balance well and oil the bigger bars well. However, in my mind keeping the durability of a saw high is more important than being the lightest or strongest saw on the market.

I'm sure this has been said but how about the 6100 in a larger 75cc and 90cc version? Autotune would be nice as some have said. Also a competitive top handle for pete's sake a top handle! It's very hard to sell tree services on a brand when you don't have a top handle or 90cc saw!!

Good air filtration and an oiler that you don't have to modify for higher output on larger bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top handle is coming. Haven't really hard much about a bigger saw lately though

I just talked to my dolmar dealer this weeks and seems to know makita is going to be stirring the pot but no word on how yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for the dealers here(if you can)
Is there one that gives best return on rrp or are they about the same. With the lower starting price = more sales @ 24:1

Is either better or worse to do major/any work

On the saws
While building new models, any chance of going against the 3120/880,

Sentiment seems to be factory bigbore or just perfect like a 562/044

F150 Is that top handle a 35-40cc ish?
Cheers
James

Ps enjoy reading these types of friendly threads

Something that meets all the EPA standards by having an easily removed baffle in the exhaust, that then runs like a raped ape after 5 minutes work and a retune is an acceptable result.
So lighter, stronger and more refined than a 7900 - either out of the box or 5 minutes later.
No dawgs that look like a kids idea of a ninja throwing knife would be nice too.

Something along the lines of the 7900 but with six transfer ports, a better filtration system, better dawgs, and a less goofy full-wrap handle would be nice.

Question for the dealers here(if you can)
Is there one that gives best return on rrp or are they about the same. With the lower starting price = more sales @ 24:1

Is either better or worse to do major/any work

On the saws
While building new models, any chance of going against the 3120/880,

Sentiment seems to be factory bigbore or just perfect like a 562/044

F150 Is that top handle a 35-40cc ish?
Cheers
James

Ps enjoy reading these types of friendly threads
Little bit that I know about says it should be competitive with a 201t in power and weight. Pics of it look kinda similar to a 355t. Haven't seen anything concrete except the picture though.

Latest posts

Back