New Dolmar in the house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost got a 6400 p and c because of the price. Luckily the cylinder cleaned up and a AS member had an oem piston.

I know what the HD kit looks like but put pics up anyways!:chainsaw:

IMG_1941.JPG IMG_1945.JPG Fugly?

Butt ugly?

You choose

If there is even the slightest chance for some performance gain AND the almost certain aspect of longer life for the saw I don't really care

However; that shiny surface has got to go

I think I will scuff it up and hit it with some flat black Fusion rattle can paint

I guess in the beginning of this kit there were issues with the filter separating from the base but that looks to have been solved

Michael

Thanks, I love pictures lol. It is is fugly for sure, but for some reason I like it, especially the intakes at the back of the air box. But if its functional it doesnt matter, plus you have the Dolmar performance to back it up! I prefer the matte finish but my cylinder cover is shiny as well so they would match. How does the saw feel with the new filter setup, does it seem to impact handling at all?

I wish my 7900 wasnt faded, they sure look good new!

Thanks, I love pictures lol. It is is fugly for sure, but for some reason I like it, especially the intakes at the back of the air box. But if its functional it doesnt matter, plus you have the Dolmar performance to back it up! I prefer the matte finish but my cylinder cover is shiny as well so they would match. How does the saw feel with the new filter setup, does it seem to impact handling at all?

I agree about the air intake at the back

This thing is going to BREATHE

I am going to do some cutting tonight so I will let you know tomorrow about handling

I really doubt I will notice a difference since the saw is so new to me anyway and the kit can't weigh but a few more ounces than the stock filter

I have to say I was surprised to find some fine sawdust in the manifold when I pulled off the stock filter

Luckily I had engaged the choke before pulling it

I don't think anything will get by this setup

As far as longevity goes what have you guys found for a filter life?

I know you aren't supposed to blow out or wash the main filter; just "tap" it to loosen crud

I saw an earlier thread on the setup when it was fairly new and someone got ripped on for suggesting replacement at 6 months

Obviously that would vary widely depending on circumstances

I figure if I buy 1 spare of the inner and outer just in case I should be good to go for a LONG time

Michael

Congrats on a nice saw! I've had mine 5 years and love it. It truly does not run like a 60cc saw. I would love to upgrade mine but the 6400 does all i need and then some. For now anyway.

Trust me. Nothing will get past the HD filter. We have some of the nastiest wood in the world and even dead Redgum dust won't get past it. That stuff makes a non oiled Husky filter look like chicken mesh. They only other filter as good is Stihl's HD2.

Good to know

Thanks

Michael

I figure if I buy 1 spare of the inner and outer just in case I should be good to go for a LONG time

Michael

Don't get to excited about buying extra filters. Especially the outer felt filter. It plugs up pretty quick and allot of people take it off and leave it off. Saw will also probably be plenty rich with the HD filter installed after being tuned with a stock filter.

The 2260 is lighter and more nimble for my use but still debating.
I am a Dolmar guy at heart. Just look at my Sig. I sell Dolmar, Echo, and Jred....Only one mentioned anywhere in my Sig is Dolmar but I think for your use that a 2258/2260 will fit better and you'll be happier. Jred is mighty jealous of the air filtration and a/v on the 6100

Edit:
Woops I forgot about my 2 lonely echo saws that never get used anymore

Don't get to excited about buying extra filters. Especially the outer felt filter. It plugs up pretty quick and allot of people take it off and leave it off. Saw will also probably be plenty rich with the HD filter installed after being tuned with a stock filter.

Noted and appreciated

I will just run it and worry about spares down the road

As far as being "tuned with the stock filter", I haven't touched the settings; its factory tuning although it seems to run well

I am out of my depth with these limited carbs

My Stihl is old school and I tweak it regularly for conditions, gas, etc

This new Dolmar is running on factory settings

I am looking at various threads about defeating the limiters, etc and am soaking it all in

I am torn between not screwing with it and hoping it doesn't lean out or get too fat and tearing into the carb and the muffler and saying screw the warranty

All input is appreciated

Michael

Dead right mate. A pre-filter with pure big woodchips can make sense but pre-filters tend to hold finer chips/dust against the main filter and block it up. I've cut softwoods in basically rainforests with square chisel out to dead Redgum with carbide in basically deserts and pre-filters haven't helped in any of those conditions, in fact quite the opposite.

The same applies to using pre-filters, including the Outerwear, with Stihl's HD2 filters.

Well it took longer than anticipated to get a sense of any changes or improvements with the HD filter but after a few days of use and some tinkering I think I can honestly say there is an increase in performance

I went so far as to put the old filter back on after running the HD for a while to see if it was my imagination.

I actually swapped the stock filter and the HD filter twice and I really think the HD gives the saw a little more performance.

I didn't do any timed cuts or anything else scientific and I am still breaking the saw in so I didn't really push it so any conclusions are simply seat of the pants observations

I did drop a couple of large poplars that I never would have tackled with my little Stihl and this saw is certainly a handful, both in power and weight

I have to buck them today and the Dolmar will get some more break in time

I also decided to skip trying to paint the new filter hood and just let the shiny surface get scratched and scarred up naturally

Michael

If you don't like the gloss of the filter cover....I wonder if just scuffing it with scotchbrite pad would make it match pretty close. It would at least take the shine away and leave a matt finish and if done carefully you could probably maintain a consistent finish.

When the HD filter kits first came out, probably around 6-7 years ago, a lot of people including myself claimed that there was a power increase. I timed a few cuts years ago and it definitely did show an improvement across the three 7900's I owned at the time.

If you don't like the gloss of the filter cover....I wonder if just scuffing it with scotchbrite pad would make it match pretty close. It would at least take the shine away and leave a matt finish and if done carefully you could probably maintain a consistent finish.

fordf150

I decided to scuff it up the old fashioned way...

I used it

65 foot measured

IMG_1956.JPG

The top one had about a 10 degree lean toward the house

My son and I roped it off with a choker about 25 feet up, ran out to a block and then 90 degrees off to my 4Runner that was at a safe distance

Dropped the bottom one first with a bore cut, a single wedge and a trigger about 2 foot higher than you see now because like poplars do they grew up together and although they weren't fused they were absolutely side by side without room for any other cut I could think of

Thats why just one wedge

It went about 2 feet left of target and I called it good

The picture is deceiving because they are on a slope with piss poor footing and a sketchy escape route

After the first one was down I cut the stump down to give me more room to work on the second one

Because of the backward lean I had my son put as much tension on the rope system as I thought it would stand

I did an open face notch and a bore cut and drove 2 good wedges, had my son stand by with the 4Runner in low lock for control and signaled him to put more tension on the line and I then cut the trigger

Dropped exactly where I wanted it to go

Couldn't have been happier

Spent today limbing and bucking and made a pile ready to go to the wood lot next week

IMG_1960.JPG

A productive weekend and a great way to run some gas through the new saw

HOLY CRAP!!!

Riding out a pretty good earthquake as I sit here....

Shook pretty good there....

Michael

fordf150

I decided to scuff it up the old fashioned way...

I used it

65 foot measured

View attachment 434202

The top one had about a 10 degree lean toward the house

My son and I roped it off with a choker about 25 feet up, ran out to a block and then 90 degrees off to my 4Runner that was at a safe distance

Dropped the bottom one first with a bore cut, a single wedge and a trigger about 2 foot higher than you see now because like poplars do they grew up together and although they weren't fused they were absolutely side by side without room for any other cut I could think of

Thats why just one wedge

It went about 2 feet left of target and I called it good

The picture is deceiving because they are on a slope with piss poor footing and a sketchy escape route

After the first one was down I cut the stump down to give me more room to work on the second one

Because of the backward lean I had my son put as much tension on the rope system as I thought it would stand

I did an open face notch and a bore cut and drove 2 good wedges, had my son stand by with the 4Runner in low lock for control and signaled him to put more tension on the line and I then cut the trigger

Dropped exactly where I wanted it to go

Couldn't have been happier

Spent today limbing and bucking and made a pile ready to go to the wood lot next week

View attachment 434203

A productive weekend and a great way to run some gas through the new saw

HOLY CRAP!!!

Riding out a pretty good earthquake as I sit here....

Shook pretty good there....

Michael

What's that orange and white thing sitting on the log? Have you lowered your standards?

Latest posts

Back