New Echo CS-590 owner...new member too

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thachman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the site and just recently bought a new CS-590. Was weighing between a Stihl MS290 and a Husqvarna 455 or 460, and wound up with the Echo. I love the saw so far (big upgrade from the non-starting Poulan 222 it replaces).

I've been able to answer most of my questions by perusing the site, which is awesome, and I thank all of you who share your experience and knowledge. I am left with a few questions though, and I'd be grateful for some additional info...

1) I've seen a few references to ditching the stock bar with 70dl, and going with a 72dl bar. What's the advantage in switching the number of drive links? Chains seem readily available in either config. Assuming I do want to swap, will any 20" 72dl bar work with the saw? Anything else besides bar/chain that would have to be swapped?

2) I have been running 50:1 using Echo oil with 93 octane, no ethanol. I see that some use 40:1 or other ratio. What's your determining factor in choosing a preferred ratio?

3) I'm running it as tuned out of the box. I've read that Echos are often tune lean from the factory and that this can shorten the life of the saw. Mine seems to run fine, and I'm by no means a saw expert, so I haven't adjusted anything. What's the real story here? Am I risking life to the saw, or just maybe not getting 100% of its potential?

I appreciate any help!

There's no advantage to switching to a 72dl other than Stihl/Husky guys sometimes do it so that their chains interchange between saws.

50:1 or 40:1 there are a lot of opinions on that. Either will work fine just stick with one or the other. But more importantly just use a decent brand and not Walmart crap oil.

I'm assuming then you didn't buy the saw from a dealer? The advantage of buying from a dealer is that they would/should properly tune the carburetor for you. About 1 out of every 4 Echos I set up are too lean out of the box. Not a chance I would take if I were you. Have somebody who knows saws test run it and make sure it is right.

The bar manufacturer determines the number of drive links. As an example a 20" Oregon D009 bar requires 72dl whereas a D176 mount uses 70 Dl.
50/1 is fine. I have older saws and use 40/1 but could use 50/1 provided I use a good synthetic oil like Stihl Ultra.
You will be limited on your carb adjustments due to the limiter caps on the saw. They are there so you can't go too rich. Most guys will remove them and retune the saw after the saw is out of warranty. In fact a good muffler mod and retuning will wake the saw up.

i had to pull the limiters on my saw out of the box it refused to rev. i tuned my saw to 32:1 since everything else runs the same mix.
good saw build quality is better than others and has the best oiler on the market.

I just got a CS600p off fleebay that was burnt up from being too lean, looks like new .. You might get by with a saw set too lean if you don't push it and cut smaller tree, if set lean and make some long hard cut it will burn up plus it won't have very good power. Steve

1) keep the bar and chain you have and when the chain needs replacing just make sure to get a nice chain for it. IE not some bumper link home depot chinese garbage.

2) oil ratio you can run anywhere from 32:1 to 50:1. Oil ratios and chainsaws is like religion and everyone has a differing opinion. Though many here run the heavier oil mix of 32:1. The oil you chose is top tier oil and meets the newest specs of JASO FD and EGD. There are many oils that claim this spec, but few are officially tested and on the official certified list. This echo oil is certified and top notch.

3) I would read up on tuning and take note of the difference in tuning if you have a REV LIMITED SAW or an UNLIMITED saw. Its easy to confuse the rev limiter for "4 stroking" and burn the saw up. No way would i run the saw without making sure the tune was good. a little bit lean and lube goes down, EGT's go sky high and bad things happen fast. A well tuned saw has an advantage in every aspect. Easy starting, good throttle response, essentially maximum power, max longevity ect. The biggest factors are fresh good quality fuel, E10 or less fuel. Good oil and ratio, not bogging the saw, sharp chain and letting the saw do the work. Keep it in a well sealed container and after a couple months old or so, put in in your truck/car and mix a new batch.

Have fun and do a review once you've used it for awhile.

If you can get 70Dl chain stay with 70 DL chain.Luckily my 600p was rich from the factory.Don't assume yours is.could be a Bad death for a Beautiful running Saw.These thing's love Stihl Chain.The saw runs Very very well along side Stihl Saws.The Fasteners are the same T27 Torx and you can switch Bar Nuts.If you do Happen to run a Husky Bar you'll be able to run 72DL and Switch Between 20" drive link from stihl and husky.The 70DL is kinda odd ball and goes back to 20" Mcculloch,Poulan,ETC. But the D176 bars Change over to those.SO any way you go the Echo is Kind of the swiss army saw.Oddball but can still be functional between everything in a way.

If you can get 70Dl chain stay with 70 DL chain.Luckily my 600p was rich from the factory.Don't assume yours is.could be a Bad death for a Beautiful running Saw.These thing's love Stihl Chain.The saw runs Very very well along side Stihl Saws.The Fasteners are the same T27 Torx and you can switch Bar Nuts.If you do Happen to run a Husky Bar you'll be able to run 72DL and Switch Between 20" drive link from stihl and husky.The 70DL is kinda odd ball and goes back to 20" Mcculloch,Poulan,ETC. But the D176 bars Change over to those.SO any way you go the Echo is Kind of the swiss army saw.Oddball but can still be functional between everything in a way.
echo owners are oddball they all like fat chicks on mopeds too haha

the 590 is a very good saw, i bought one a couple months back and have just about got it fully broke in. i don't know about your 590 but this one is a really hard running 60cc saw. and it is bone stock too, though it did have a carb tune before it left the shop by the dealer. no muffler mods or limiter removal --

the 590 does come with a odd size bar set up it is really like a 19" -- and a few more budget cutters like a plastic handlebar and a cheap clutch --

it is a very smooth cutting saw -- very good power , no problems pulling this 19" through anything so far. it has so much torque i'm thinking of trying one of my 24" bars on it--LOL

and i am one of those stihl/husky guys that has been running pro class saws for the last 35 years-- so i ain't comparing this 590 to no box store special--

welcome to the form! have fun cutting with the 590!!

no complaints here, after selling my 600p about six months ago, i decided on a 590 a few weeks back just to have another of this series of saw, i ran one of the first 590's that were given to dealers as demos, i ran it hard and no complaints by me, for what they sell for, it's a no brainer, of coarse i still feel it's more adapted to the homeowner/ranch/firewood user...........

They were selling the 590's up here in a fall promo for $399 and I thought for a pro rated 60cc saw with that 5 year warranty it was a pretty solid deal .
I'll do the muffler / carb mod after I run it a bit .

I live out in the boonies, so having the big box store ship it to my house for free was the best option for me. I also had a 10% off coupon, so my total was $397 including tax. For the money, I don't think I could have done any better on a new saw.

I just traded my 600p for a dolmar 7900.
I bought it private,been gased but never cut wood.
got it ported,it would almost keep up with my husky 555.
I think u will b very happy with it.
The thing i found with the bars is the lg mnt husky bar fits a little sloppy without a spacer,but oil hole lines up fine.
The distance between studs and clutch is a bit closer,if the 72dr B&C chain stretches much u will run out of tension adjustment.
I would stick with what u have until ur bar wears out ,then maybe do different.
After takin mine apart just to see,all the scews are T27 ,all same length,and very well made IMO.
Get it tuned and have fun,mine was lean from factory.

Latest posts

Back