New Firewood Beast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had one of those I would be sorely tempted to sit by the road and try to grab one of the idjit kid dirt bikers that blast by here all the time....sport!

Think of a Kubota as the Toyota of the tractor world...
Just start and runnem... Very dependable...
But per HP, the Deere should be a tick heavier in weight, so some may prefer them for loader work... A bonus is, the Deere is sexy and green...

well said, but I'd say Honda not Toyota.
Kubota hold there value way too much also...

Not practical for your average firewooder but it sure is a nice rig coupled with the toys!

1+ :msp_thumbsup:

I would say that the word "beast" is an excellent descriptive for that thing, 75 HP, good Lord! You can pull houses from foundations with that thing, will it double as log skidder? I can't look at this thread again, otherwise I will get tractor envy.:msp_wub:

no now its just a foreign jalopy assembled in the us that happens to be twice the size...
i wouldnt buy anything JD has made from 2000-current, now theyre just the same as any foreign tractor but with green paint, they spend more time in the shop than in the field.
plus the way JD corprate(not dealers) is running things these days, i wouldnt want anything to do with them. theyre a "quanity not quality" company now...

got that right,,retired from there..they have had that attitude,,when the last deere related retired. Bob? you could tell the change that day...

really not horrible tractors but they just dont compare to the older ones as far as quality and reliability goes.
what really pushed me away from them was the way they dropped one our regions largest dealers, it was the 3rd oldest JD dealer in the world, and corprate wanted them to get bigger, (new bigger building, more customers etc.) and the dealer couldnt justify it, so jd came and took all of their equipment.
they were the best dealer around IMO, they stocked parts for almost every tractor JD has ever made, and NOS parts you couldnt find anywhere else, i just couldnt believe the way it went down...

deeres,, has done that to a LOT of dealers.....its the corporate leftist over edumacaaaated morons,,that have no concept of where their real business comes from,,and was made, that did this...ive met a few of them dolts....

really not horrible tractors but they just dont compare to the older ones as far as quality and reliability goes.
what really pushed me away from them was the way they dropped one our regions largest dealers, it was the 3rd oldest JD dealer in the world, and corprate wanted them to get bigger, (new bigger building, more customers etc.) and the dealer couldnt justify it, so jd came and took all of their equipment.
they were the best dealer around IMO, they stocked parts for almost every tractor JD has ever made, and NOS parts you couldnt find anywhere else, i just couldnt believe the way it went down...

There is a way to address issues like that, and that is for all the thousands of JD owners to actually buy some stock in the company. This lets you attend shareholder meetings and speak your mind. Get dozens of anecdotal stories like that out there and the economic writers will pick up on it, it will affect stock price etc and the bean counters WILL take notice then and perhaps change their ways and outlook.

There are tons of ways US farmers get screwed all the time, and they are by far and away the least organized group of people out there, near as I can see anyway, so they wind up eating it raw constantly on this or that issue.

It'll be ok... Use it and enjoy it... If it starts acting flakey, go trade it in on a Kubota... Deere tractors aren't like pickups... They don't lose value near as fast...
But I'll bet it's just fine...

We have a 58 hp kubota and im here to tell you its no better than a deere! Totally made in japan. Parts system is much better with deere

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah think it will be ok. The problem I've always seen to arise is when a tool is too small for the job. The Mahindra was basically a riding lawn mower and not suited for dragging and heavy loading. I see the same thing with chainsaws, you will tear up an MS250 quick bucking 30" logs all day. I'm hoping the new tractor is just big enough to not break in my normal activities. Another good thing is South-East Texas is Deere country. We have 5 major dealerships within 60 miles of us. There was only one Mahindra dealer that did repairs and they were 100+ miles away. As for Kubota's I don't know much about them and after this Mahindra fiaso, I doubt I would buy anything else but a Deere.

First off nice machine, and you are right about the mahindras.

There is a dealer nearby here too and i stopped to look. boy are they made cheap, wouldn't last a week around here doing actual work. Everything is built so "light" these days, now its to the point it can't be used anymore. I had to laugh when they had a 15 horse tractor with a backhoe attachment. what a waste of money.

Anyways congrats on the upgrade in quality.:cheers:

First off nice machine, and you are right about the mahindras.

There is a dealer nearby here too and i stopped to look. boy are they made cheap, wouldn't last a week around here doing actual work. Everything is built so "light" these days, now its to the point it can't be used anymore. I had to laugh when they had a 15 horse tractor with a backhoe attachment. what a waste of money.

Anyways congrats on the upgrade in quality.:cheers:

id say the small stuff is only a waste of money at the prices they sell for, its crazy how damn expensive small diesel tractors are, you can get 3-4 times the tractor for the same friggin price. its even worse for the used ones :bang:
theres a guy down the road from me selling or (trying to sell) a ford 8N with a trip bucket, it started at 3800, i drove by thinking hes out of his friggin mind, now three months later its at 1800, its still to high, and this is field fresh, rusty looks like hell who knows if it runs, fully restored 8/9N's and NNA's only sell for around 2-2500 around here, anyway i dont know where people come up with these prices theyre all nuts:curse:

Last edited:
We used to have a JD 5525 with the shuttle shift and I loved that. I hope you have better luck out of your JD than we did with ours. We have had all kinds of trouble with it. And we did not get much help from the dealer. I think we either just got a bad tractor or got the wrong series of tractor for our work. We use it on a dairy farm so it gets used every day.

That is a nice looking tractor. I wish we had a cab but can't due to the fact that we have to get into barns and such. What size round bales were you picking up? I am guessing not 5x6.

We just got done buying a new Case to replace the 5525. We usually buy a new loader tractor every 5,6, or 7 years since we used it so much. Normally we buy JD just because we have had such good luck with them in the past. One reason we went to Case is because we did not get much dealer support and it would take 2 months to get a new JD since they build them as you order it. Where as Case we got the tractor in a couple of weeks.

Yeah I'll admit it was pretty steep in price. Of course, the deluxe cab and the air ride seat was something I prob could have done without. But it runs me about $800 a month for the thing.
It was either the tractor or hiring a few workers. I think I made the better deal. I have yet to hear this tractor complain about the 104 degree heat or how much I am paying it to lift logs and pile branches.

We used to have a JD 5525 with the shuttle shift and I loved that. I hope you have better luck out of your JD than we did with ours. We have had all kinds of trouble with it. And we did not get much help from the dealer. I think we either just got a bad tractor or got the wrong series of tractor for our work. We use it on a dairy farm so it gets used every day.

That is a nice looking tractor. I wish we had a cab but can't due to the fact that we have to get into barns and such. What size round bales were you picking up? I am guessing not 5x6.

We just got done buying a new Case to replace the 5525. We usually buy a new loader tractor every 5,6, or 7 years since we used it so much. Normally we buy JD just because we have had such good luck with them in the past. One reason we went to Case is because we did not get much dealer support and it would take 2 months to get a new JD since they build them as you order it. Where as Case we got the tractor in a couple of weeks.

Yes..5x6 bales...the H260 loader has almost 6,000 lbs breakout capacity. Our 5x6 are about 2300 lbs. I have the optional HD cylinders on the 3 pt, and I can get 2 bales on the rear and one on the loader.

Oh okay, I think you said four bales in your original post. I would have a hard time believing 4 bales at 2300 pounds each. I think two bales on the front would be to much for the steering.

I am still impressed with 3 bales for the tractor that size. With the 3 point fork, can you hook up to a wagon with the fork on with no bale? How much did that 3 point spear cost you?

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for that tractor? What are the advantages of the M series?

Last edited:
Oh okay, I think you said four bales in your original post. I would have a hard time believing 4 bales at 2300 pounds each. I think two bales on the front would be to much for the steering.

I am still impressed with 3 bales for the tractor that size. With the 3 point fork, can you hook up to a wagon with the fork on with no bale? How much did that 3 point spear cost you?

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for that tractor? What are the advantages of the M series?

Yeah 2 bales (1 front, 1 rear) is actually a good balance. We tried putting the double bale carrier on the back and its a little loaded down but not too much. The spear was around $1000 I think, but it was a long time ago. The M series is a way tougher tractor than the E series (as it was explained to me). You can see the difference in the final drives when they are side by side. M also has wayyy more functions and upgrades, plus the Deluxe Cab option is unbelievable...air ride seat with headrest, huge capacity A/C and heater, shifter modulation, 32 forward speeds, 16 reverse, Bluetooth, satellite radio with TV outputs, (4) 12volt outlets, a 120volt AC inverter, a loader sunroof for stacking high loads, and a buddy seat option. Its not as big as it looks but I have found this is a good balance as I can still mow my front yard with my 84" finish mower..you have to take the loader off, but its no big deal. I had the dealer add the 3rd function hydraulics out front to run my grapple. Wish I could have afforded a little more HP, but this tractor was $58k.

Nice, on that 3 point spear, can you hook up to a wagon with the spear still attached and no bale?

prob not on that one...its a hay bale fork with two rails under the bale. I bought a 3pt hay spear for the Mahindra tractor I used to have and the bales kept falling off b/c I could never get the angle right. I returned it to Tractor Supply..but on that one you could I'm sure. We just use a 36' flatbed trailer and a truck to haul across the field, with a tractor at each loading and unloading zone.

Latest posts

Back