New guy, have a burned up MS180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmmmm. Think I found my problem.

Had an extra manifold on hand, so put it in and got the engine back in the case. Oil line looked iffy, and the china replacement I had didn't fit tightly so I ran by my local John Deere dealership on my way to work and got a genuine Stihl oil line (hair under $5). Will hopefully get it back together in the morning and give it another try.

Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

• manifold1.jpg
    manifold1.jpg
    796.6 KB · Views: 24
Let's see, Stihl wanted $300 to fix a $179 chainsaw...that's what a Stihl ms180 sells for at our local Rural King farm store...

Yep! I did find it quite amusing in that the service tag had "DNR" on it.

Got the saw put back together yesterday. Fired right up and runs and idles fine, even with the ebay carb on it (have a rebuild kit for the original Stihl carb on the way, but it hasn't arrived yet).

So apparently my pinched tit was the issue.

So, in total I have about $63 in the saw, which includes a replacment case and clutch (Huztl, $28), and an ebay carb, fuel line, air filter, and oil line (oil line was junk, $21), a genuine Stihl oil line ($5), a carb rebuild kit and new intake manifold with spacer ($9).

Yes it's still a crappy homeowner saw, BUT I can take disassemble and reassemble the thing pretty quickly so I'll try to keep it running using China parts. Make a good loaner/beater/ATV trail saw so I can save my 346XP for real wood cutting.

Thanks for all the help!

Edited to add, this is a MS180C, which apparently has the "easy start" recoil, which feels really weird to me, and the easy chain tensioning thingy, which I like at first glance, but I'm guessing won't hold up well in the long run.

Ah well, it was free (cheap after buying parts) and it runs!

Finally got around to running this thing last weekend. Big oak limb fell in my parents' back yard, so I put a new chain on this MS180C and went out to clean a little bit of it up.

It cuts fairly well. I can tell a huge difference in cutting with it and cutting with my 346, but considering what I have in the Stihl, it will be good for its intended use, which will be clearing ATV trails (which tend to be really rough, and I don't want to risk damaging my 346 bouncing through the woods) and as a loaner saw.

Thanks for the help!

I thought that was why the good Lord invented the Wildthing? :p
I've had a wildthing for 23 yrs, it gets used 3 mos a yr in creeks & such mostly during winter & has only had 1 bar replace &about 20 chains. Still runs good. Not a bad saw, good beater. :nofunny:😏

Back