New Guy Here, Howdy!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lairry .. what part of Iowa ya from.. Iam up here in the NW.. 20 miles away from Spirit lake or so but originly lived down by Desmoines, Indianola area. If you around Indianola check out Indianola power and equipment, i think they still have the same name, they would be able to help you out. Like othrs here have been saying.. Stay away from ebay, only iam puttin in regardless if they do guarentee and have positive feedback you still just never know, and since that 455 was your 1st new purchase, it really sucks to get burned twice. Find a saw dealer that will let ya try there equipment out. Up here there is a shop that deals with echo and Jonsered, he has a cookie log out back. If you lived close to me i would bring my 371xp over and let ya use it, still waiting on the 24" bar from baileys though.

Lairry .. what part of Iowa ya from.. Iam up here in the NW.. 20 miles away from Spirit lake or so but originly lived down by Desmoines, Indianola area. If you around Indianola check out Indianola power and equipment, i think they still have the same name, they would be able to help you out. Like othrs here have been saying.. Stay away from ebay, only iam puttin in regardless if they do guarentee and have positive feedback you still just never know, and since that 455 was your 1st new purchase, it really sucks to get burned twice. Find a saw dealer that will let ya try there equipment out. Up here there is a shop that deals with echo and Jonsered, he has a cookie log out back. If you lived close to me i would bring my 371xp over and let ya use it, still waiting on the 24" bar from baileys though.

20 miles away from Spirit Lake, Where? I'm about 10 miles from Spirit Lake!!

IMO 455 not a bad saw but not fantastic. good for the heavy home user or light farm work. someone who has used a 372xp would be very disappointed indeed. Most likely the dealer was trying to sell what he had on the shelf rather that what you required. If you had the work for it I'd go 346xp for limbing and 372xp or 385xp for the bigger stuff! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Otherwise If you only want one saw go 357xp, good mid range saw, pro spec. Better than 455 and can handle more of the bigger logs.

No freakin way. Well 1st off.. not to diss Spirit lake but iam a fisherman..and sinceive lived up here i have yet to even go fishin in those lakes.. yet alone buy anything from there. You should check out Lyle's Small Engine Repair over in Sheldon.. good guy there. I should be getting the new bar for the 371 this week i hope. Untill i get that iam kinda s.o.l.. only have 50cc saws and below..

No freakin way. Well 1st off.. not to diss Spirit lake but iam a fisherman..and sinceive lived up here i have yet to even go fishin in those lakes.. yet alone buy anything from there. You should check out Lyle's Small Engine Repair over in Sheldon.. good guy there. I should be getting the new bar for the 371 this week i hope. Untill i get that iam kinda s.o.l.. only have 50cc saws and below..

Well if you're a homeowner in Dickinson County I'd like to say thanks for moving up here to share our property tax burden we pay for the uppitty people who live in the lakes region.

By the way, thanks to all who explained the differences in chains to me today. I got a new chain for my 455 which is not a safety chain and it cuts much better. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's a whole different saw. Still underpowered but much better. Does anyone know if a muffler mod would help this saw at all?

IMO 455 not a bad saw but not fantastic. good for the heavy home user or light farm work. someone who has used a 372xp would be very disappointed indeed. Most likely the dealer was trying to sell what he had on the shelf rather that what you required. If you had the work for it I'd go 346xp for limbing and 372xp or 385xp for the bigger stuff! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Otherwise If you only want one saw go 357xp, good mid range saw, pro spec. Better than 455 and can handle more of the bigger logs.

Thank you for your input. I really should have done my homework first but it was a spur of the moment decision, I needed a saw and didn't want to go get one so my sister in law lovingly brought me one. At least I got her discount. What I need is a big saw as I already have enough limbing saws 12,14,16, and what I may do is put an 18 on the 455 and buy a 575xp or 372xp for my big saw and use the 20" off the rancher and purchase a 24" for the big boy.

I doubt a muffler mod would hurt it any, and I'd bet a woods mod would really wake it up. But I don' think a muffler mod alone is going to get you the results you want, or need for what you are expecting.

Well if you're a homeowner in Dickinson County I'd like to say thanks for moving up here to share our property tax burden we pay for the uppitty people who live in the lakes region.

Nope.. dont live in the county .. but the county line is 4 miles down the road from me :clap: .. I live out in the country over by Hartley. If you need some help over there id be glad to offer my services as long as there is no houses or buildings nearby.. due to liabilties and such. heck would bring the saws over and help ya out for a pickup load of wood or somthin. Iam available on Tues-Weds and Saturday afternoon through Sun

Welcome to AS Lairry

I think I have found the solution to your problems.

I own a J red 2065 & its a great saw.

However, as Im sure RBW & a select few others would agree, if you are looking for some good old stump cutting snot, then you need one of these:

No freakin way. Well 1st off.. not to diss Spirit lake but iam a fisherman..and sinceive lived up here i have yet to even go fishin in those lakes.. yet alone buy anything from there. You should check out Lyle's Small Engine Repair over in Sheldon.. good guy there.

There aint many trees up there to cut and you should leave the one that are there to stop the freaking wind. There for due to geographic location I do not recommend a 441 but a hacksaw. Happy pruning.

I went to college in sheldon.

Thank you for your input. I really should have done my homework first but it was a spur of the moment decision, I needed a saw and didn't want to go get one so my sister in law lovingly brought me one. At least I got her discount. What I need is a big saw as I already have enough limbing saws 12,14,16, and what I may do is put an 18 on the 455 and buy a 575xp or 372xp for my big saw and use the 20" off the rancher and purchase a 24" for the big boy.

Great Idea.

Are you saying you want to put the 20" bar from the 455 on the 372? Both 575 + 372 run 3/8 chain, not sure about the US spec but over there but here the 455 is .325 - i suggest checking the pitch.

Hey Lairry,
Welcome to AS.

Just wonderin.

Lairry...

Any particular reason that you spell it that way ???

Does it have some sort of deep meaning ???

Just wonderin.

There aint many trees up there to cut and you should leave the one that are there to stop the freaking wind. There for due to geographic location I do not recommend a 441 but a hacksaw. Happy pruning.

Wind will blow regardless...But yes trees do make excellent snow fences and such during the winter here and slow the wind down abit around properties if there is enough foliage and such around..Heck we have a north grove and also a west grove.. 3 tree lines think and very good undergrowth and the wind still blows. If he is clearing trees out to build a cabin or house on his own property then so be it, sounds like that was already decided when he started the project

Hey Lairry,
Welcome to AS.

Just wonderin.

Lairry...

Any particular reason that you spell it that way ???

Does it have some sort of deep meaning ???

Just wonderin.

If you must know Lairry is a nickname I was assigned in school. It was a derrivative of my last name which is why I spelled it that way.
"Tomahawks Made of Cheap Hammers"??????????

The trees I am clearing out is an old railroad right of way I purchased that is adjacent to my property. It has become overgrown with trees and most are dying anyway for some reason. Hundreds of trees that rarely see the light of day and never grow and the big ones are on the edges mostly giant groups of sapplings that grew together and keep splitting out. It's about 100ft wide and as long as my property. Approx 2.5 acre of solid trees.

If you must know Lairry is a nickname I was assigned in school. It was a derrivative of my last name which is why I spelled it that way.
"Tomahawks Made of Cheap Hammers"??????????

Thats ...fine...
I just wonder too much ... I guess.

Hey, I gave you an attaboy !!! ( pos rep )

Last edited:
Great Idea.

Are you saying you want to put the 20" bar from the 455 on the 372? Both 575 + 372 run 3/8 chain, not sure about the US spec but over there but here the 455 is .325 - i suggest checking the pitch.

It's 3/8 I just bought a new chain and got rid of the safety chain today.

Nope.. dont live in the county .. but the county line is 4 miles down the road from me :clap: .. I live out in the country over by Hartley. If you need some help over there id be glad to offer my services as long as there is no houses or buildings nearby.. due to liabilties and such. heck would bring the saws over and help ya out for a pickup load of wood or somthin. Iam available on Tues-Weds and Saturday afternoon through Sun

Do you need wood? All my buddies that have come for some sawin good times are under the you can take as much as you saw contract. Hell there's more there than I need, I'm burnin corn to heat my house now. My sister in law lives in Hartley by the way.

Latest posts

Back