New guy here with a Stihl question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clearwater

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi to everyone here.

I am a new poster to this site, but have lurked for a while. I found this site while searching for chain saw reviews and comparisons. I was in need of a new saw to fit in between an old Stihl 032 and an old Stihl 064. These saws had served me very well, but were starting to nickle and dime me. Also failed me when they would break down when needed. I use them for firewood cutting and also for clearing trees off the roads when it blows like the last storm.

I had bought the 032 new sometime around 1975-1980. Have cut way too many cords of wood to count. (Estimate 150 cords). I bought the 064 used about 14 years ago. Used it to cut big Fir butts when I was cutting firewood to sell. (Estimate 150 cords).

Recently I had ended up putting a carb kit into both saws. The 032 clutch drum wore out and broke. The fuel lines rotted, air filters had problems, fuel filters, sprockets wore out, bars were getting worn, the 064 would flood and foul the plug, not as shiney as the new saws at the dealer. (Are you starting to get where I am going with this?)

After getting tired of hearing me whine for the 100th time, my wife decided to get me a new saw for Christmas. As we were driving down the road one day last month she told me this and directed me to head to the saw shop and get what I wanted right now, today. She told me that she had checked with my friends to see just what I wanted, but found there were too many saw, bar, chain combinations out there.

Since I had done some searches and lurking on this site I had pretty much made up my mind on a new Stihl MS440 W/28" bar. It does fit in nicely between the 032 W/20" and the 064 W/32" if you ask me... I had also looked at the Stihl MS441 and the Husky 372. Probably what swayed me to the MS440 was that I have had great service from my two other Stihl saws and from Stihl dealers for parts and service. The MS440 is a tested saw that put it above the MS441. And brand loyalty above the Husky 372.

We ended up at a dealer who still had a supply of MS440's. Plus Carhartt clothing. Merry Christmas to me! From there we went to the new Cabela's store in Lacey, Wa.. What a day...

Here is my question... The saw's manual says to have the chain brake checked by a dealer once a year. What is done at that time and is there anything to watch out for in between time?

Thanks, Dave

P.S. Do I have to keep being good since I already got the saw?

Hi to everyone here.

I am a new poster to this site, but have lurked for a while. I found this site while searching for chain saw reviews and comparisons. I was in need of a new saw to fit in between an old Stihl 032 and an old Stihl 064. These saws had served me very well, but were starting to nickle and dime me. Also failed me when they would break down when needed. I use them for firewood cutting and also for clearing trees off the roads when it blows like the last storm.

I had bought the 032 new sometime around 1975-1980. Have cut way too many cords of wood to count. (Estimate 150 cords). I bought the 064 used about 14 years ago. Used it to cut big Fir butts when I was cutting firewood to sell. (Estimate 150 cords).

Recently I had ended up putting a carb kit into both saws. The 032 clutch drum wore out and broke. The fuel lines rotted, air filters had problems, fuel filters, sprockets wore out, bars were getting worn, the 064 would flood and foul the plug, not as shiney as the new saws at the dealer. (Are you starting to get where I am going with this?)

After getting tired of hearing me whine for the 100th time, my wife decided to get me a new saw for Christmas. As we were driving down the road one day last month she told me this and directed me to head to the saw shop and get what I wanted right now, today. She told me that she had checked with my friends to see just what I wanted, but found there were too many saw, bar, chain combinations out there.

Since I had done some searches and lurking on this site I had pretty much made up my mind on a new Stihl MS440 W/28" bar. It does fit in nicely between the 032 W/20" and the 064 W/32" if you ask me... I had also looked at the Stihl MS441 and the Husky 372. Probably what swayed me to the MS440 was that I have had great service from my two other Stihl saws and from Stihl dealers for parts and service. The MS440 is a tested saw that put it above the MS441. And brand loyalty above the Husky 372.

We ended up at a dealer who still had a supply of MS440's. Plus Carhartt clothing. Merry Christmas to me! From there we went to the new Cabela's store in Lacey, Wa.. What a day...

Here is my question... The saw's manual says to have the chain brake checked by a dealer once a year. What is done at that time and is there anything to watch out for in between time?

Thanks, Dave

P.S. Do I have to keep being good since I already got the saw?

Good choice. That manual leans toward keeping you safe. Stihl is big on that. The chain break is checked to make sure its working mainly, something you can do yourself. You have plenty of knowledge about saws, thats obvious from your post.

Basically the chain break/clutch drum is inboard on these newer saws verses the older style stuff but it is no different than your 064,,,, If you were to use it alot you need to pull the clutch drum and clean and inspect for wear if there is 20% or more wall thickness gone on the clutch hub, the tech is supposed to replace it service the needle cage, remove the brakeband and if there are noticble signs of wear (large areas on inside diameter and /or parts of outside diameter and - its remaining thickness is less than 0.6mm (0.02in). he is to replace it,,, if its Ok he supposed to hit it with sand paper and reinstall it,,,

thats about it!!!! Good first Post BTW and welcome to AS Ive been to the Hoh Rainforest on the back side of The Olympic range!!! where are you

Ahh the part of remaining being good,,,, Choose yer own poison!!!!!

Last edited:
Well, congrats. You got yourself the daily working standard buzz saw and the King of Chainsaws in the PNW logging industry. 'Round here they are anyway. Also before they are all snapped up and gone forever.

Where am I?

I am in the great metropolis of Clearwater. The Clearwater Valley. 1 mile north of the Queets River, 25 miles south of the Hoh River. Used to be a big time logging area. Population of 500 went to 50 now.

Any Old Timers out there who used to log around here remember the "Horn Inn Tavern?" I live right next to where it used to be before it burned down.

As far as rain forests go it is all the same around here if you ask me. So I only get 130" here and the Hoh gets 140". Not much of a drought.

Just lucky the ground is steep enough to handle the amount of rain we get.

Dave

Heck, Clearwater is on the maps. The place I live is not. Old mill town here had several hundred living here about 100 years ago. Now there are 10 houses scattered around. The neighbor still has what was the town dance hall. This property had the post office, but it was paved over when they moved the road over to make an approach for a bridge. Several 'towns' around here are on some maps but no one knows were they originally were any more. Like Divide and Leona. Then there are some no-service 'towns' just north of here along the Smith River in OR (talk about a lost place), like Gunter. Then the BIG towns like Drain, Curtain, and Elkton that are still here, sort of. Small towns that are getting smaller. We only get 6-10 feet of rain a year down here. I gave up measuring in inches. We have had 2 feet this rain year (July 1 to June 30). Raining hard tonight. Probably get 2 inches by morning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back