New guy needs a saw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok. I have searched, and I have a limited budget but a real need. I bought a Poulan Pro from a place that rhymes with Joe's. 18 inch bar with 42 cc's. Ran fine for a limb on first start, but when i went to use it today the choke would not slide out. Saw would not run. I imagine that I might
have torn something up, but although I acknowledge that I am mechanically retarded I cannot imagine how I broke it already.
I expect to return the saw for a credit tomorrow. I can either purchase a different saw from the same retailer, or get a refund and shop elsewhere. Like a Stihl dealership. We have two here.
What should i do? I want to cut firewood, a couple cords a year, and clear roads and what not during my day job as a patrol cop.
I spent almost 200, I guess can go 400, although cost is definitely a consideration. All input appreciated.

Ok. I have searched, and I have a limited budget but a real need. I bought a Poulan Pro from a place that rhymes with Joe's. 18 inch bar with 42 cc's. Ran fine for a limb on first start, but when i went to use it today the choke would not slide out. Saw would not run. I imagine that I might
have torn something up, but although I acknowledge that I am mechanically retarded I cannot imagine how I broke it already.
I expect to return the saw for a credit tomorrow. I can either purchase a different saw from the same retailer, or get a refund and shop elsewhere. Like a Stihl dealership. We have two here.
What should i do? I want to cut firewood, a couple cords a year, and clear roads and what not during my day job as a patrol cop.
I spent almost 200, I guess can go 400, although cost is definitely a consideration. All input appreciated.

Sent rep for "mechanically retarded"......that made me laugh

Go to a dealer that services their equipment and get a saw to fit your budget and your needs. Any of the big name brands will work well for you you may want to look at some "pro" models as they are easier to work on and may last longer.
My 2c
Nick.

Find a good used husky 346xp or ms260 stihl. Both great saws and both can be had for 200/300 bucks. Check the classifieds on here

In my opinion, for your needs of cutting 2 cords and occaisional other uses, you need more of a 50cc saw. And if you are willing to go up to $400 you could check the classifieds here on AS for a Husqvarna 346, which I think it would still leave you a little money for a set of chaps if you don't own a pair. I know there is an individual on here who sells the 346s and from what I have heard they are great running saws. Just an idea.

If you're not into doing your own mechanics, a dealer's support becomes more relevant. For $400 something along the lines of a 250 from one of the two Stihl dealers should work.

Certainly a far cry better than the Poulan Pro you experienced trouble with.

Jefferson/Marshall area.
Service is a legit concern because although I believe I can operate a chainsaw I am certain I cannot perform anything beyond the most rudimentary of maintenance or repair issues.

I vote for getting a new MS250 and buy the ultra oil to double your warranty to two years. A comparable husky or dolmar would work also.

A good used MS260 Pro can be had for around 400 bones, one of the best all-around saws.
Buy some chaps too, if you don't already have 'em.

An extremely simple muffler mod on that saw and good tuning will really surprise you...50cc's can put out a lotta punch, especially after running a Blowes Poulan...

Keep yer chains sharp, and go make some chips...:msp_thumbup:

Keep us posted Brother, and Saw Safe

You've got some good suggestions here. Don't let anyone tell you that you NEED a bigger saw than the 260. At no more wood than you cut, you'll be tickled with that saw.

You've got some good suggestions here. Don't let anyone tell you that you NEED a bigger saw than the 260. At no more wood than you cut, you'll be tickled with that saw.

Used saws and "mechanically retarded" don't mix very well. Stihl has the MS290 on sale till the end of the year $379 with free case. I think the MS250 is just a little less, but there is quite a difference in capacity between them.

Another consideration is how big and what kind of wood are you looking to cut? You might not even really want / need something as big as 50cc. Since you originally bought a 42cc Poulan I doubt you'll be cutting anything huge. Also if you aren't going to cut that much, you may not need to chew through a little bit of wood in a big hurry.

I don't cut much either, but found the need to cut when I lost a 75ft hickory tree to a storm this year. It was over 2ft diameter at the base and once I stripped the limbs and top off, the log was still over 50ft laying in my yard. I didn't use anything bigger than 45cc on it. Most of the limbs were stripped with a little Poulan and I cut the log up with an Echo CS-4600. The Echo doesn't like the 20" bar and chain I put on it, but it will do it when I ask it to.

Since you bought the saw at a big box store, they will probablt allow you to return it for store credit. In that case, get the biggest husqvarna you can/want to afford. Something like the 455 or 460 is they have one that big. It will serve you years of service for your little bit of use. Otherwise, take the cash and go to a stihl dealer and buy that MS290 that is on sale and comes with a free case til the end of the year. they can set it up (setting the carb) and take care of all your service issues in the future.

Based on the vibe I'm getting from an OP, I'd say get a Stihl MS-250 with 18" bar for $300 with a free case. It should handle up to 12" wood with no problem. Maybe a Stihl MS-290 if you really need to cut bigger stuff, but it's heavier, kind of clunky to handle, and drinks more gas, so it's not my first choice (I'd say get a used 260 or 261 before a new 290).

Latest posts

Back