New guy, New Saw. (Pics Included)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notmyj

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, been lurking here for a while and recently joined to use the search function. Decided to get a new saw this year before our annual camping/four wheeling/trail clearing trip Memorial Day. The Poulan Wild things that I have used in the past just always leave asking for more. I was first looking at home owner models from Stihl, Husky, and Echo. Then after reading here I started leaning towards pro saws... Im a gear head so more power lighter weight and increased longevity are music to my ears. So I started looking at the new saws. Went to teh dealers and handled them. Decided on the Husky 346xp, but I was on a $300 budget limit.

After reading more and comfortable with the idea of used saws, I started searching craigslist and ebay. I got out bid on ebay and couldn't find anyone on craigslist that would ship. Then I found a guy in Michigan with a 357xp that would ship.

For $325 i got the saw, brand new bar, 2 chains (one semi chisel, one full chisel) and a bottle of Husky XP oil. Because of the long periods of time that the saw will sit, i am burning 100LL avgas and woodland pro synthetic oil at 50:1. I know the fuel may cause a small decrease in power and eventual lead fouling of the plug, but I am more concerned about the length of time it will sit, the shelf life of avgas, and the fact that they are using up to 15% ethanol in pump gas out here.

Also picked up a pair of Labonville 6ply chaps. I'm not new to cutting, I've been using saws for 15yrs or so, but never used a pro saw or non safety chain, so I figured this would be a wise investment...

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

Also, it seems to have the plastic clamp on the carb, so I will get the parts to do the service bulletin. other than that, it seems good. It fired right up, and ran well. Made a few cuts this morning, and I simply impressed with this saw. I think its gonna be the best $325 I spent, and I suspect that this saw will last me a life time. I am a mechanic by trade, so repairing it is not a problem. I have experience with everything from cat dozers to outboards and lawn equipment so I am not afraid to fix anything but i dont expect to put too much into this saw.

To everyone here, thanks for all the info you have posted in the past few years. It was the sole reason I havenot posted yet. As all of my questions were answered, at length, with the search engine. Thanks, again, I will still be hanging around here and learning what I can. There is so much about this industry that I did not know and now I want to know even more.

Dave

Welcome to the site!

Congrats on the new/old saw!:) Although I like the 346xp a bit
better, the 357xp is a fine saw and I do really like mine. I also
bought mine used and have had zero problems. I do need to replace
the plastic clamp too.

Welcome aboard...... I never ran a 357 but it sure does look good. you never did tell us what type/size of wood you cut?

Congrats on the new saw and safety gear. A little research on here can save an arm and a leg in more ways than one. :rock:

Welcome to the forum.

And so it begins.:msp_scared:
Who wants to bet that you end up with at least 2 more saws within a year or want to port or have the 357 ported.:msp_w00t:

Most of the wood I cut is under 18". Mostly maple small oak, ash and pine. Lots of limbing and ground work. I fell a few trees a year in anticipation of burning 2 years later. That's the planned cutting. Snow ice and storm damage is cut as needed. I'm the guy that will throw the saw in the Jeep after severe storms and go clear roads and blow downs for others in the community. But that's only as needed.

Most of the wood I cut is under 18". Mostly maple small oak, ash and pine. Lots of limbing and ground work. I fell a few trees a year in anticipation of burning 2 years later. That's the planned cutting. Snow ice and storm damage is cut as needed. I'm the guy that will throw the saw in the Jeep after severe storms and go clear roads and blow downs for others in the community. But that's only as needed.

Good deal... The world needs more prepared guys when the $#%^ hits the fan. The 357 is a good all purpose saw with a good reputation. Good luck wearing it out. Rep sent...:rock:

Yep, deff gonna end up with more saws. It's ok, don't denie yerself. I took a truck to the scrapyard monday. Ended up commin home with three saws out of their scrap bin. :msp_w00t:

As I said in my first post, I'm a gear head and cant leave well enough alone. If you look at the pic you will see the muffler has flashed over with rust. I figure I will take it off and sand blast it at work. Then I figure, well since the muffler is off, might as well do a muffler mod....hehe

Last edited:
Rep for your coming out post and for having chaps which I have yet to order:msp_unsure:

Thanks. The best part is my 3 yr old wont go to sleep until he gets to give it a hug good night.

Quick question for you guys regarding chains. Everybody seems to like the Stihl chains, the RMC and the RSC. The RSC, being a full chisel, supposedly will go dull faster than a semi chisel like the RMC. Well, what is faster? how much faster? Will i be able to fell and buck a few trees? At any given time I cut a cord at a time, max. Also, I dont file. I drop off my chains and pick them up sharp. I might learn to do it, but I was never any good at knife sharpening. lol

Also my Stihl dealer wants $25 for a 68DL 3/8 .050 RMC or RSC. Is this about right? I heard good things about the woodland pro chain from bailey's but it have been out of stock for a while and I want to put a spare chain in the jeep with me.

Thanks. The best part is my 3 yr old wont go to sleep until he gets to give it a hug good night.

Quick question for you guys regarding chains. Everybody seems to like the Stihl chains, the RMC and the RSC. The RSC, being a full chisel, supposedly will go dull faster than a semi chisel like the RMC. Well, what is faster? how much faster? Will i be able to fell and buck a few trees? At any given time I cut a cord at a time, max. Also, I dont file. I drop off my chains and pick them up sharp. I might learn to do it, but I was never any good at knife sharpening. lol

Also my Stihl dealer wants $25 for a 68DL 3/8 .050 RMC or RSC. Is this about right? I heard good things about the woodland pro chain from bailey's but it have been out of stock for a while and I want to put a spare chain in the jeep with me.

I use mostly RSC. $25 might be a little steep. The last 72 link chain I bought was about $20. Everyone has they're favorite, but the bottom line is, Keep a sharp chain on it... By whatever means necessary. No matter what you end up using. :msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back