New hat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I recently received a very old but like new MacT. Thanks JacobJ !

It has the old style 6 point suspension with the rivets under the brim. It was even tied together with a bootlace...real old-school stuff. I tried cleaning the old suspension but it fell apart.

Does anyone know where to find a 6 point suspension that will fit this hat?

Yeah, I Googled it. I'd never had Google sneer at me before.

Maybe a tailor or a seamstress might be able to make one up. I saved the old one...and the metal clips that it had.

It is impossible to get the suspension for them. I made two suspensions for mine about 15 years apart.
I started out by cutting an old caulk shoe top into a strip long enough to go around my head and twice the width I wanted it. I doubled it and stitched it to half the width and used doubled nylon strapping for the straps. You'll need the old one for a pattern. Shoelace still goes in the top.
Took me the better part of a day.

Can you get hold of some new style suspensions and then slice/tailor them into something? That seems like it would be easier and not as gross as cutting boots up.

Nylon webbing can be bought sometimes at the WalMarche or at a fabric store. You may send somebody else into the fabric store if squeamish about going in. They are not guy places but will not hurt you either. I believe JoAnn Fabrics would have some nylon web. Or go to a camping store/department and look for straps. The latter will be more spendy. Even spendier would be the flat nylon leashes for little dogs but it might just work.

Yup. I'd take a spare suspension, go get nylon webbing of the right width, hook that to the headband part and then I'm sure you can figure out how to hook the metal clippie things to it to fit your new hat.

Beware the potporri smell in the fabric stores!

Last edited:
The Bullard 6 point goes thusly:
184353d1305607942-bullard-suspension0001-jpg

View attachment 184353

Can you get hold of some new style suspensions and then slice/tailor them into something? That seems like it would be easier and not as gross as cutting boots up.

Nylon webbing can be bought sometimes at the WalMarche or at a fabric store. You may send somebody else into the fabric store if squeamish about going in. They are not guy places but will not hurt you either. I believe JoAnn Fabrics would have some nylon web. Or go to a camping store/department and look for straps. The latter will be more spendy. Even spendier would be the flat nylon leashes for little dogs but it might just work.

Yup. I'd take a spare suspension, go get nylon webbing of the right width, hook that to the headband part and then I'm sure you can figure out how to hook the metal clippie things to it to fit your new hat.

Beware the potporri smell in the fabric stores!

Sounds like you have it figured out pretty good. Since I don't have any talent with needle and thread maybe I could just send you the old harness and you could whip me up a new one.

In your spare time. Being retired and all.

And...I ain't afraid of no fabric store. It's where I go to buy bachelor buttons. It smells good in there but it always makes me sneeze.

I recently received a very old but like new MacT.

It has the old style 6 point suspension with the rivets under the brim.
Does anyone know where to find a 6 point suspension that will fit this hat?

I to have been looking for a replacement suspension for my Under 6 point Mac T. Haven't had too much luck finding one though. I've seen very few on Fleebay, but as usual bad timing for me. Keep you ears open.

The new Bullard suspension is different and will not fit the old style hat. The new type is the best suspension going. In my world anyway.

Just showing how it looks, and maybe could be pieced and snipped here and there to fit a different one. You'd need to order one, because the one in he picture is too disgusting to anybody else but the original sweater--me.

Gologit, I would except it might be like a plumbing project and require several trips to stores for parts
. That would be Chehalis. That would be at least 2 hours round trip. I think you are in a better spot and now is a good time to get acquainted with your sewing machine. Or buy a machine. Or get a more manly awl. :)

Last edited:
Get an Asian seamstress on the job, she'll have you up and running in no time!

A few years ago I was talking to the rep for an American manufacture of backpacks and tactical gear. I was saying how I appreciated their gear was made in the USA. He laughed and said all the sewers were Philippina ladies, none of whom spoke English. But they did all live in the USA.

Is it worth trying a army surplus store and check the helmets ?

You mean a combat helmet for working?

Well, military service teaches you one thing: you wouldn't wear the steel pot voluntarily.

Just showing how it looks, and maybe could be pieced and snipped here and there to fit a different one. You'd need to order one, because the one in he picture is too disgusting to anybody else but the original sweater--me.

Gologit, I would except it might be like a plumbing project and require several trips to stores for parts
. That would be Chehalis. That would be at least 2 hours round trip. I think you are in a better spot and now is a good time to get acquainted with your sewing machine. Or buy a machine. Or get a more manly awl. :)

Hmmmm...I'll take that as a negative response. But think about it for a minute...with all the guys looking for six point suspensions you could develop a real cottage industry, make a few coins, and keep yourself busy in the process. "Suspensions by SlowP"...sounds good to me. :laugh:

An awl? I have some fids and a couple of marlinspikes. No awl. At all.

Hmmmm...I'll take that as a negative response. But think about it for a minute...with all the guys looking for six point suspensions you could develop a real cottage industry, make a few coins, and keep yourself busy in the process. "Suspensions by SlowP"...sounds good to me. :laugh:

An awl? I have some fids and a couple of marlinspikes. No awl. At all.

No way. The liability one would incur. Better to let the already there people deal with it.

What will the safety guy think of a homemade suspension?

Back