new, hello, help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dekandgord

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

Remarkably I find myself posting in a chainsaw forum , something I can honestly say I never thought I would do within my natural lifetime. So here I am. My "Mrs" found this site whilst looking for information on our chainsaw, a chainsaw I now know, thanks to this site, to be more a childs toy than a saw. In England "chainsaw competition" is an underused, if not redundant term in most areas. I did however remember seeing very brave men and ladies with large tools:)laugh: sorry) competing in lumberjack games. These games were somewhat like highland games only with sections for the petrol head. Does anyone know where I can find some video downloads of these games? The jack and Jill saw
and tuned chainsaws etc? i have a disbelieving family who think I am making this up and have defied me to "prove it"
To be honest I am glad i have found a chainsaw forum as it is really interesting, just for the info regarding the 2 stroke engines if nothing else.

regards

Gordon

go to youtube, all kinds of hotsaw, lumberjack, etc vids there.

it was given to us just before we moved into a house with proper fireplaces. not sure entirely, hence the search that resulted in this site. its made by oleo mac, but the trade name we cant find even with the www power. the half label says NAUP(?)A then poss C/O or Q, and none of these combinations come up on a search. I know that oleo merged with efco etc, but cant find any info on who oleo produced for pre-merger.

any thoughts?

and just like our porsche we now find ourselves with a renovation project!?

its a 16", but it's so much fun, i may have to see if she'll let me have a bigger one! purely for practical purposes you understand. :greenchainsaw:

by the way, how does cherry burn, because we have an ornamental one gone mad in our garden that i'm going to cut down!!
Gordon

Oleo Mac is cool in my opinion. Great little saws!!! Its size might seem small compared to people's around here, but whatever suits your needs. As long as it didn't come from Home Depot, Menard's, or Lowes (might not have those in England). :D I have an Oleo Mac. It's my Olympyk 935 tree trimming saw. Fine little saw. My grandpa cut 12 cords a year for his boiler for years with a STIHL 011 (like 45cc's, 16"). Don't know how he could do it with that little thing, but its a nice little saw for cutting up little stuff. For cutting wood for a fireplace, don't need a big saw.

so this saw should cope with a max of what diameter logs? and remember gents I am bidding to get my self a bigger saw here so underestimates would be appreciated !!

Seriously though what is the max diameter of log I should be attempting with this saw? my brother is a farmer and took me through chainsaw 101, which enabled me to get the saw running, but i realise I have so much that i dont know about the equipment I have. As you can see from the bit of research we have done (well mainly Dekkie my Mrs has done) this isnt just a pick up the saw and go exercise, so I really would appreciate any advice or help.

Gordon

Really depends on what saw you have. In theory, you could cut up to 32" with a 16" bar. That just takes a lot of time, though. Please take a (some) picture (s) of your saw, if you would wish for someone to identify it and its engine size.

32 inches !!! bloody hell i dont think we have trees that big here in Dorset. i will get and post some pictures of the saw but it is 1am here and dark as a bag . i post some in the morning though, which to all of you out there repyling will be the middle of the night, this time difference is a confusing thing.
Rgds
Gordon

I was under the impression that in England, any that owned a chainsaw or ran one was to be certified, or go through a training course?? Anyhow.. be carefull. Chainsaws may be fun to run but when not thinking safety 1st, accidents/ closecalls will happen

dekandgord said:
so this saw should cope with a max of what diameter logs? and remember gents I am bidding to get my self a bigger saw here so underestimates would be appreciated !!

Gordon

dekandgord said:
Ha !!
never yet known him to read a manual!!

Dekkie

Just a suggestion here, if you're wife found this site for you, I would advise against posting anything you don't want her to see. Just some friendly advice for ya!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

Well, its 7pm here. :D Mind you, it will take a LOOOONG time to cut that 32" tree with the 16" bar, and smaller saw. Most of the stuff I cut is 24" or less (generally, anything bigger is hollow around here; all hardwoods), so I run an 18". Just the other day when I was cutting up a red oak, and had to cut it through on both sides with the 038AV (039 was still in parts; I like the 038 more). Generally, your saw is best suited for stuff probably 12" or less. Thats about the biggest I cut with the 011, and thats slow.

crashagn said:
I was under the impression that in England, any that owned a chainsaw or ran one was to be certified, or go through a training course?? Anyhow.. be carefull. Chainsaws may be fun to run but when not thinking safety 1st, accidents/ closecalls will happen

ah no you misunderstand, I can use a personal chainsaw to do what the hell i like, I cannot use it in a public area or for a company etc without a licence to operate it. I am always carefull thats why I am asking for, and taking advice, i do not enjoy manuals that is true! i like a bit of a shot at how it works. As i say i did take advice from my brother who is certified in the use of chainsaws and all sorts of exotic farm machinery(even a powerboat!!) as he undertook a farming/countryside mamagment degree. England isnt rteally that bad we just got laywers of late and that has put a limit on few things.

Gordon

Safety

Gordon,
Welcome to AS! Search this site for information on chainsaw safety. We all share your enthusiam each time we pick up a saw, but remember that it is one of the most dangerous tools you can operate. We want you to enjoy driving that Porsche for many years to come!

Oh, and you may as well start thinking about your next saw - one is never enough.

Ha ! here we need a flipping licence to wield a potato peeler.

Guns?? Ha, not a sniff! a 5 week course in health and safety for a staple gun.

...driving cars, two part tests, theory and practical. hell you cant even bake cakes for the school fair without environmental health giving your kitchen the once over! hey, mind you, we can go faster than 55 mies per hour (the five and dime?? ), you gotta look for the silver lining havent you?!

PS am sure there wouldnt be anything i shouldn't read, however i tend to have less time than him!! cant think why, maybe it's 'cause i'm out sawing logs with a hand saw while he's still deciding how big a chainsaw the next one's gonna be!!:confused:

Dekkie ( the Mrs)

thank you all for your help. We will post some pics of the saw, although having seen some of the stuff here I am not sure "saw" is a fair description. is "saw envy" a recognizable illness? I fear I may have it. thank you ladies and gentlemen. we must bid you goodnight.

Gordon and Dekkie

yeah, thanks a lot guys. it's 2 am and now he wants to discuss the merits of a big chainsaw! nite all

Dekkie.

So you need a Farm Degree to run a farm in England? Crap, go on a hill around here, and you can see farms as far as you can see. :D I've never heard of a "Farm Degree." :D :hmm3grin2orange: And as for boats, got like 4. A canoe, a 14' fishing boat w/9.9 evinrude, a 16' pontoon w/25 hp mariner, and a '75 16' speedboat w/115 hp merc. :D

Any other odd laws in England? I think it is odd that we can't drive ATV's and dirtbikes in the road ditch for recreation between April 1st and August 1st. And that you need a motorcycle license to drive an 80cc scooter here. (I've got a Honda 50 and a Vespa Ciao 50 moped) The bike in my avatar is a 1984 Kawasaki 250 enduro (road legal dirtbike).

I've got a question-
Are Volkswagen cars (Ie VW Bora) popular in England? Some people have told me that nobody drives VW's in Europe, but always see a VW on TV when there is a documentary on something in Europe.

Back