new, hello, help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This stihl ms 660 has the wide rear handle, would this not be the case of the same saw in the states?

dekandgord said:
the wide handle is for standing on to start the saw! this is part of a safe way of starting the saw. thin ice why? Is this an anti french thing?

Ha - just kidding. I know the handle was for standing upon, just never saw one with that much foot room - a welcome change from most saws I've seen!

Just saw your next post - the handle on yours seems to extend farther from the back of the saw than normal - perhaps just looks that way from the photo. In any event, it's a nice looking saw and I'm glad you have it running well!

Last edited:
Sprig said:
Dekandgord, great little tale LOLOL! :D

Hi,

it might seem funny but it really isn't all that far from the truth. Now try and work out why I'm living in Germany (which is now, unfortunately, rapidly catching up with the UKs regulatory madness) rather than in Hartlepool or Nottingham where I used to live...

Please, no comments about me wearing green tights because of Nottingham. And for the Brits here NO comments about HARTLEPOOL! I couldn't bear the thought of being accused of wearing green tights whilst hanging monkeys...

Bye

who is going to eplain wht the people of hartlepool suffer from the monkey jokes?Me or thee?

Oh what the heck it may as well be me:

The monkey-hanging legend is the most famous story connected with Hartlepool. During the Napoleonic Wars a ship was wrecked off the Hartlepool coast.

During the Napoleonic Wars there was a fear of a French invasion of Britain and much public concern about the possibility of French infiltrators and spies.

The fishermen of Hartlepool fearing an invasion kept a close watch on the French vessel as it struggled against the storm but when the vessel was severely battered and sunk they turned their attention to the wreckage washed ashore. Among the wreckage lay one wet and sorrowful looking survivor, the ship's pet monkey dressed to amuse in a military style uniform.

The fishermen apparently questioned the monkey and held a beach-based trial. Unfamiliar with what a Frenchman looked like they came to the conclusion that this monkey was a French spy and should be sentenced to death. The unfortunate creature was to die by hanging, with the mast of a fishing boat (a coble) providing a convenient gallows.

What makes this even funnier is:

The mascot of Hartlepool United F.C. is H'Angus the monkey, a man in a monkeycostume. The man in the monkey costume, Stuart Drummond, stood for the post of Mayor in 2002 as H'angus the monkey, and campaigned on a platform which included free bananas for schoolchildren. To widespread surprise, he won, becoming the first directly-elected Mayor of Hartlepool, winning 7,400 votes with a 52% share of the vote and a turnout of 30%. He was re-elected by a landslide in 2005, winning 16,912 on a turnout of 51% – 10,000 votes more than his nearest rival, the Labour Party candidate.

Last edited:
Coming from Hartlepool should be funny enough. Do they have monkeys in Hartlepool?

Dan Forsh said:
Coming from Hartlepool should be funny enough. Do they have monkeys in Hartlepool?

Hi,

funny you should say that but I can't recall ever seeing a monkey in Hartlepool...

Bye

Monkeyhanger said:
Hi,

funny you should say that but I can't recall ever seeing a monkey in Hartlepool...

Bye

Given what happened to the last one that turned up, you can't blame them really.

Dan Forsh said:
Given what happened to the last one that turned up, you can't blame them really.

Yes, but that was a long time ago. Or maybe I've just missed the recent hangings through being in Germany so long...

Bye

dekandgord said:
the saw.

Will get some better pics later.

Ughhh, that saw looks UGLY :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Hey, what happened to the 2 belgians and the belgian lady on the island ?. just wondering if you know the bravest people on the continent ?(that's what Ceasar said at least...);)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back