New help might have to go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lol.

treemandan....did you just say that a climber should be paid the same as a groundman?

you didnt really just say that, did ya?

onto the money. my problem with starting somewhere new is that the boss wants to start you at less than what you want and that sucks.

now i know that i am probably going to be the best hire this guy has ever made so i want my money now, not wait a month or 2 weeks for the next increase. now. the reason i know what i can do is because i have been around and seen other workers. in my tree time there is only one guy that ive worked with that i know i couldnt hold his jock, let alone his saw. (and he told me that my potential in this field is through the roof, that was better than any tip ive ever gotten)

heres the question for you employer's. whats your ceiling when it comes to pay?

treemandan, working hard on that seagull reputation.

Last edited:
lol.

treemandan....did you just say that a climber should be paid the same as a groundman?

onto the money. my problem with starting somewhere new is that the boss wants to start you at less than what you want and that sucks.

now i know that i am probably going to be the best hire this guy has ever made so i want my money now, not wait a month or 2 weeks for the next increase. now. the reason i know what i can do is because i have been around and seen other workers. in my tree time there is only one guy that ive worked with that i know i couldnt hold his jock, let alone his saw. (and he told me that my potential in this field is through the roof, that was better than any tip ive ever gotten)

heres the question for you employer's. whats your ceiling when it comes to pay?treemandan, working hard on that seagull reputation.

If you are asking what the maximum pay out for a climber for me is, it varies depending on if the guy is just looking for some side cash and wants to put a day in here and there or if its a guy that wants a 40+hr per week gig with benifits. Right now I do 99% of all the climbing and probably 90% of the bucket and crane work and would not ask any other climber do get into a tree I would not tie myself into. I know I am getting a little side tracked here but if that is the question you are asking there really is not a realistic ceiling on the top wage for a capable climber it comes down to how productive the climber can be safley, there attitude, attendence, ETC... Determines how much they are worth per hr or per day to me. Some people are just unrealistic though it may not be there fault because they may or may not know the costs associated with running a leginimate buisness.

suppose i climbed everysingle tree you had on the books, safely and timely.

fixed all your saws (within reason) and took care of them at the end of every day.

ran all your equipment with more care than you do. thats your bucket, crane and log truck and took the time to maintain said equipment.

that i showed up sober and on time daily(actually waiting for you at the gate) and better yet never hung over.

and at the end of 40 hrs i would like to get another 10hrs in.

this type of climber/employee.....whats he worth to you?

What? Read it again and go to sleep, think about next week, if you don't get it by then I will try again.

I very much doubt I will ever get your point of view, but like previously stated if what you are doing is putting food on your table and you are happy then more power to you. question for you though. What is the long term goal for a individual like your self? I mean you can't be a one man show for ever, If you are not carefull you will end up without a pot to piss in when you are to old to climb yourself.

fixed all your saws (within reason) and took care of them at the end of every day.

ran all your equipment with more care than you do. thats your bucket, crane and log truck and took the time to maintain said equipment.

that i showed up sober and on time daily(actually waiting for you at the gate) and better yet never hung over.

oh wait.

and the homeowners love my charm and they way i communicate with them.

i guess i shouldve lumped this into one post. but this to me sounds like the ideal employee correct?

now what kind of money would you pay someone with these assets?

just out of curiousity of course.

The most I could afford to pay this individual would be what he is worth. The above credentials plus the capabilities to run a crew and talk proffesionally to customers would be a great asset to any tree company. I have yet to find such a dedicated employee thus far but when and if that day comes I will do my best to keep him around. Sorry but with out seeing first hand what you or some one else is capable of first hand I could not put a hourly rate or even a salary rate on such an individual.

Last edited:
The most I could afford to pay this individual would be what he is worth. The above credentials plus the capabilities to run a crew and talk proffesionally to customers would be a great asset to any tree compny. I have yet to find such a dedicated employee thus far but when and if that day comes I will do my best to keep him around. Sorry but with out seeing first hand what you or some one else is capable of first hand I could not put a hourly rate or even a salary rate on such an individual.

what a diplomatic answer sir!

lol

i dont run a crane.....yet but all the other stuff i do.

i wasnt trying to press you for an answer but i was more or less looking to see whats out there for monetary potential.

if you felt cornered i apologize, it was curiousity.

i guess i shouldve lumped this into one post. but this to me sounds like the ideal employee correct?

Sounds like you should be running your own gig.

Sounds like you should be running your own gig.

i'd rather not have that kind of stress, to be dead honest with you.

i'd rather make as much money as i possibly can for the guy i am working for, that way i too can get "mine". might sound odd but i'd rather work for someone else and let them reap what i sow.

i do my own thing on a saturday here and there though.

i hear ya.it's pricey i know.

Hornett, just remember that 20 dollars an hour is 27 with workers comp @ 35%, plus another 10% for payroll taxes, thats 29 an hour per hour per illegal that cant even speak or cut a round hole- oh no wait you cant put an illegal on the books, oh well, lol. Anyway it would cost me 522 for two guys at 20 an hour for 9 hours (travel time and assuming everything went on time) day-thats before the other taxes and the yellow book and the yellow pages-and the bucket payments-and the ins. and any other multitudinous expenses that go along with this crap, newspaper adds, maintenance, saws,shop taxes, equipment taxes, you get it, gonna have to do better than pinchin and pullin on my saws n not showin up here n there to get that, lol. Latter, Hornett.

remember that next time you vote,or don't vote.

where's Carl? tell him to have a cheeseburger on me,LOL

I would say even without the crane ability (not that I have or want one) that a guy like that would be worth at least 28 an hour oldirty. Of course I dont have the biz for that yet, hopefully next year maybe. And yes I would have to agree with kenner tree that it sounds like you could easily run yer own gig-but that would just make you an even better employee. MDS.

remember that next time you vote,or don't vote.

where's Carl? tell him to have a cheeseburger on me,LOL

I got rid of Carl, he was leaving the 28th of this month anyway, besides he was getting real lazy n comforatable-and I think I'm pretty sure he was gay, so pretty much F him and his cheeze burgers, lol.

Ol dirty, a guy like you is every business owner's dream. You would be worth a significant percentage of net business income, which varies from place to place. I can tell you that If I owned a business with a net income of 100 thou, a guy like that would be worth 50k. If the business makes 500k year in and year out, (net profits, not gross sales), I would have no problem paying you $250k.

The problem with high salaries and small businesses is this: Suppose I pay you 50k a year based on last year's profits, and the next year I only break even. Now you are making 50k more than me, and I'm the one who put up the capital to start the business, runs the accounting, pays the advertising, fixes the equipment, carries the liability, on and on. No way, dude. That's why people are on low salaries, and good leaders will not be stingy with the bonuses when profits are high.

It is completely unrealistic to expect to make more than the owner himself. So maybe the question to ask a new employer is "What were your net profits last year?"

But ask some people that, and you'll be out the door on the street pretty fast. It's the old conflict, capital vs. labor. Guess who wins every time?:bang:

lol.

treemandan, working hard on that seagull reputation.

Not just a groundie, a groundie who is as good at his job as you are at yours. Not worth a mint? If I work the ground its the same amount of work as if i climb. Same dangers, same hustle, same thing. It is a shame to see some of the groundies out there, it also is a shame to see a go getter groundie making chump change. Keep it up and you all will have to get Mexicans, once you run out of drunks and jailbirds who is left? Ain't no white boy gonna work like that for that. Would you, could you. Hell, I want an extra 25 per day if I have to drive one of those big trucks.
Reps just fine on the homefront. Who are you again?

Maybe I just feel guilty about watching a guy bust his hump dragging brush while I make it. Maybe I feel that the role of groundie is taken for granted. Maybe I am wrong but the main reason I get out of bed is to make money so I can buy the things I want. Bread truck drivers do better than some of our hardworking, creative, and diligent groundies. I work to make their job easier, they do the same for me. I love to drag brush to and I keep my rake in tip top shape.
Actually, honestly , I think that anyone out there should do both. If you want a low budget dragger that is what you get, you should understand that. Right?

When is the last time you had a decent climber?

I have a buddy that I sub once in awhile dan, thats about it, to me its not worth it financially at this point, besides what am i supposed to do then, sit around and watch? I'm only 35 and have 20 years exp., so I figure I get a pretty good deal on me and should use that to help me grow the biz-besides, its called quality control, I actually spend the time to make every cut as good as possible as if it were to be judged by another good treeguy, its my name on the door. It seemed to me it made more sense to get a bucket sinse its cheaper and I just needed some extra help producing more work in the season. Climbers leave, my truck gets paid off and stays. Hope that answers you're question. MDS.

Usually emplyees like Old dirty are company owners that USED to do that stuff. Iwork currently doing those same tasks for aguy and do the tree work on the weekends. Slowly I will be on my own as the guy I work with retires. But to find a guy like that isn't easy and for some reson, they just don't make'em like that anymore. We're an old dying breed. As mentioned in another thread, (and from what I remember, old dirty indirectly called me cheap), I just gave a guy a $2 raise, up to $22 after working for me for the past couple of years. He doesn't climb (won't/can't), he doesn't have a CDL, I don't have a crane, he's not skilled enough to work on the saws, is somewhat of a slob, everytime I put him on a job alone he screws something up in a machine and just this past weekend, after giving him a raise the prior weekend, he decides to go away for the weekend with 4 days notice after having told him I had a "must get done" job set up for the past three weeks yesterday which I did myself till 7 pm. But I need a guy to help and he does have the muscle to move stuff. But still, they don't make'em like they used to. Now please .... :givebeer:

The wierd thing is he does need the money but when his idiot friends come back from college or his local friends have a hairbrain idea, he's in. He's 25 and I truly understand where he is, wanting to have some fun but it just drives me nuts when he does this stuff especially right in the busy season. Give me some more time than just 4 days! Can I repeal my raise? :ices_rofl:

Back