New help might have to go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
balancing act

I bumped my head groundie helper to 30 beans an hour, it was 25 but I said 30 if he would sub contract to me. the least I pay is 20. I have found good help with higher wages beats mediocre help at lower wages more times then not. Most of my close calls and minor property damaged revolved around low wage lower quality help.

It stings when I under bid or the chipper breaks etc, and all the money goes to high wages. Over the course of a week or month I find my help will pay for itself for what they do, and most importantly, don't do. In a sense it is an insurance policy, I might earn less but I know the likely hood of something going horribly wrong is much reduced.

It also costs me in less tangible ways to have lower quality help around. Dirty clothing and dropping F bombs around homeowners and nieghbours reduces referrals and nieghbour spontaneously hiring me.

I recently hired a nieghbour [and my kids friends parent] to help as he is out of work. I was 50 feet up on the first day and noticed all the dark lines in the lawn where he was bucking rounds, I thought oh man I hope that is just bar oil lines, yea right! That stuff I can live with as you have to start some where but its the showing up for work in the cloths you just swapped an engine with and not getting the "hey put these cloths on" hint for four days, or the swearing when customers are around. Ops I'm ranting sorry but I know as I am writing this I'm not easily able to to say its not working out as I am literally providing for his kids.

I have found good help with higher wages beats mediocre help at lower wages more times then not.

I recently hired a nieghbour [and my kids friends parent] to help as he is out of work. I was 50 feet up on the first day and noticed all the dark lines in the lawn where he was bucking rounds

Good post, the bucked lawn story is brutal. You generally get what you pay for. I have a fairly foul mouth, I work utility, worked construction and in the bush from a young age, doesn't do wonders for ones manners or vocabulary. A good groundsman, few and far between, glad you found one.

my mouth is pure sin to

Good post, the bucked lawn story is brutal. You generally get what you pay for. I have a fairly foul mouth, I work utility, worked construction and in the bush from a young age, doesn't do wonders for ones manners or vocabulary. A good groundsman, few and far between, glad you found one.

... But Im sure you do don't engage in conversations with little old ladies around with ditties like "so this fn chick... HA ha, he seems to be responding to me positively but I really wish I did not have to spell out basic decoram so often and bluntly.

I bumped my head groundie helper to 30 beans an hour, it was 25 but I said 30 if he would sub contract to me. the least I pay is 20. I have found good help with higher wages beats mediocre help at lower wages more times then not. Most of my close calls and minor property damaged revolved around low wage lower quality help.

It stings when I under bid or the chipper breaks etc, and all the money goes to high wages. Over the course of a week or month I find my help will pay for itself for what they do, and most importantly, don't do. In a sense it is an insurance policy, I might earn less but I know the likely hood of something going horribly wrong is much reduced.

It also costs me in less tangible ways to have lower quality help around. Dirty clothing and dropping F bombs around homeowners and nieghbours reduces referrals and nieghbour spontaneously hiring me.

I recently hired a nieghbour [and my kids friends parent] to help as he is out of work. I was 50 feet up on the first day and noticed all the dark lines in the lawn where he was bucking rounds, I thought oh man I hope that is just bar oil lines, yea right! That stuff I can live with as you have to start some where but its the showing up for work in the cloths you just swapped an engine with and not getting the "hey put these cloths on" hint for four days, or the swearing when customers are around. Ops I'm ranting sorry but I know as I am writing this I'm not easily able to to say its not working out as I am literally providing for his kids.

In Jesus" name AHHFNMEN. Less tangible ways. yes, yes.

treemandan. post a picture of yourself. i want to see what you look like.
i want to see just where all this bunk comes from.

and boys, about my skills...believe them. lol

If you want something from me you are going to have to tell me NOT to do it, hotshot.

Well who's fault is it that these guys have the luxury to sit there with a remote in there hands instead of making a living. People in general have become to lazy because parents let them the goverment lets them they sued some one and now do not have to work, ETC.. ETC.. Every one has to start some where and eventually a good company will weed out the bad ones and end up with some good guys (HOPEFULLY). Every one that goes out there should make the same??? Do the same?? And no the same?? Thats the logic I am talking about, it makes no dam sense!!!

Oh so you are a little touchy on the subject.

Them I can handle, its yer logic dan, thats the problem. The thing is dan, when me and them losers do what it is we do, its top dollar! not 400 fer you and yer 50 foot rope, lol.

I knew it, This is just a pissing contest, piss away there sparky. I love when you call me Dan.

I am a moron? I didn't let the dingleberry I fired last year bust up my truck today. What is it? sleepy, stoned, stupid or indifferent? Let some chump rack my #### up I would be a moron, moron.
Its a shame my words are wasted. Go hang out with your spooky crew.

Would you f#$#@#$ believe it, me and the boys did friggin awesome today, must have been that help wanted add that I told them about with the biz name heading it, lol. ya know what, (fer now) I actually think they're learning!, and perhaps I'm learning as a boss. Just did 1500 on one job, got 500 more on that to go, plus got 1500 next door-and 3200 dollar job came through this morning, and sealed a deal on 2000 =1500 done, picked up 6700 in work. What a difference a day makes, "welcome to the tree service, I allways say, lol. I knew they could work, otherwise I would'nt have had them around, now I realize, I'm not so stupid, lol. Thanks guys, all the banter lately helped me figure out the right thing to do, for real! Well we'll see, lol. Oh, besides I'm still interviewing, lol. MDS.

Not really, I just can not stand people that use the system because they are just to lazy to get a real job.

Then do like I do, say it to your senator of course my object was illegals!
If I get rid of my help I become unemployed hard to fire yourself but it
is not hard to fire a pos, I have done it many times, on one occasion
a feller started crying and I said I hired you to work so why when I asked
you to do that did you whine,become angry etc. I ended up giving him
another chance and he become employable it takes tough love to settle
these issues.

Not really, I just can not stand people that use the system because they are just to lazy to get a real job.

Is it me or did you just contradict yourself in the same sentence? You all need to stop misreading me, you think I say the opposite of what I say. Take a second to ponder because you sound ridiculous.
Never did I say or imply half of what you all think I did. What do they have you on?
I say a 15 per hour guy is just that, a 15 dollar an hour guy and you say I said that a starting grunt should be paid more. I say you are a little touchy and you say " Not really, I just can't stand....
Git yer head out of there before you suffocate!
I might bring up subjects that you feel are not important but you don't have to be pricks, well maybe you do.
Hey ole dirtbag( thats olddirty to you) I have been looking for a picture of myself to post for you, I want to find one that says it all. All you have to do is tell me how to post it cause I don't know how.

Would you f#$#@#$ believe it, me and the boys did friggin awesome today, must have been that help wanted add that I told them about with the biz name heading it, lol. ya know what, (fer now) I actually think they're learning!, and perhaps I'm learning as a boss. Just did 1500 on one job, got 500 more on that to go, plus got 1500 next door-and 3200 dollar job came through this morning, and sealed a deal on 2000 =1500 done, picked up 6700 in work. What a difference a day makes, "welcome to the tree service, I allways say, lol. I knew they could work, otherwise I would'nt have had them around, now I realize, I'm not so stupid, lol. Thanks guys, all the banter lately helped me figure out the right thing to do, for real! Well we'll see, lol. Oh, besides I'm still interviewing, lol. MDS.

We will see how you feel when the circle gets vicious again. You just like to brag anyhow but I would like to know what it is you are bragging about. What is the right thing to do? I surely do not know, no joke. I doubt you do either.

Look, I haven't really been paying attention completely but I thought those green bars were given by people who think you said something good. Well, who the hell has been giving me all those green bars? I got 3 in the last day. Is that good? You don't just get them automatic like, do you?

We will see how you feel when the circle gets vicious again. You just like to brag anyhow but I would like to know what it is you are bragging about. What is the right thing to do? I surely do not know, no joke. I doubt you do either.

Dont see where I'm bragging dan, just stating facts there pal, its just buisiness, thats all. As far as the vicous-ness is concerned, I'll be ready, lol.

Is it me or did you just contradict yourself in the same sentence? You all need to stop misreading me, you think I say the opposite of what I say. Take a second to ponder because you sound ridiculous.
Never did I say or imply half of what you all think I did. What do they have you on?
I say a 15 per hour guy is just that, a 15 dollar an hour guy and you say I said that a starting grunt should be paid more. I say you are a little touchy and you say " Not really, I just can't stand....
Git yer head out of there before you suffocate!
I might bring up subjects that you feel are not important but you don't have to be pricks, well maybe you do.
Hey ole dirtbag( thats olddirty to you) I have been looking for a picture of myself to post for you, I want to find one that says it all. All you have to do is tell me how to post it cause I don't know how.

You stated I was a little touchy on the subject and I replied not really. Yes scumbags that manipulate the system bother me but it is not a touchy subject its very clear how I stand about people that take advantage of others and use the system so they do not have to get a job. Is that clear enough for you?? The only one with there head in there A$$ is you!!! You either have issues with comunicating clearly or are just so out of touch with reality there is no hope for you. Good luck to you, I have a feeling you will need all you can get with your perception on things in general.

Back