NEW Home made mill from Oz!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OZDOG

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this site. I've been watching for ages and have gotten lots of inspiration to make my own mill. So, I went out and bought myself a Husqvarna 3120 and proceeded to salvage different materials for the actual mill, it's made from everything from motorbike swing arms & bearings, recycled steel, and BBQ hotplates. Have had good success with it. Any thoughts on whether a 42" bar should have an oil feed to the bar tip?

Looks like A pretty sweet setup. Can't wait to get my csm up and in action. Can't wait to get my 084 done to put on the csm either! Thanks for the pics

The girlfriend is supposively getting me a 36" alaskan csm for christmas. I will use the 066 on it until I get the 084 back together.

Welcome to the forum ozdog... wow what a setup. The ingenuity of folks on this site never ceases to amaze me. Curious how long from first thought to first slice did all that take? Also curious about that gum log you are cutting up. Does that wood keep that reddish color when you work it in the woodshop? Does it dry well or twist up like many of the gums do up here? Does it darken over time like black cherry does here. Not that I should assume you know much about cherry since it doesn't grow down there... but just curious. What do you plan on doing with those pretty slabs?

Thanks for the pics. Very impressive.

It probably took me about 2 months to make the mill working on it each weekend. The thing that took the longest was the carriage, making the saw bar square and parallel with the rail, and to get it all rolling smoothly. I used 8 skateboard wheel bearings and bearings from rear wheel of motorbike so it was a bit fiddly. And since the first cut I've beefed-up the rail clamps because they were slowly moving with the vibrations of the saw. Will be interesting to see what happens to the Bluegum slabs. It should keep its colour to some extent, it probably won't be as bright. Twisting is not so bad but cupping and splitting is a problem...fingers crossed! I've sealed the ends and time will tell. I'll probably turn them into table tops if they season well, if not, outdoor furniture.

42" definately would benefit from an auxillary oiler. I milled up these oak slabs on a 48" mill with an aux. oiler with my modified 066 and it did very well. 12-15 minutes per cut.

attachment.php

attachment.php

BTW how do you like that 3120? Been thinkin hard about getting one.

you can't go wrong with a 3120, i'm extremely happy with it. once you use it it'll speak for itself.
so where do you direct the oil? into the sprocket or the chain itelf?
nice oak.

Welcome OZDOG, cool looking mill and wood. Look on page 5 and you will find a thread titled auxillary oiler parts list ( or something like that) which has lots of discussion about aux. oilers and how to build them, I think that it even has some pics to look at. From the looks of your mill you are pretty good at building stuff. Good job!:rock:

Sweet mill and awesome slabs, Oz. Makes me jealous. I can't get a break to do any milling lately. It's been one thing after another, work, holidays, crappy weather, plumbing problems in the house, etc... I have my fingers crossed that I can get back to it soon. Holler at me if you have any questions about that oiler. It works great for that little I've been able to use it.

aggie. it's funny because i spent a day making an oiler similar to yours and when it came to give it it's first run, i mustn't have clamped it on tight enough so it caught the chain and tore the whole oiler off and made a mess of it. so at the moment the oil runs onto the bar tip i'll fix it anther day. some pic of the oiler on the feeling ripped of theard .

you can't go wrong with a 3120, i'm extremely happy with it. once you use it it'll speak for itself.
so where do you direct the oil? into the sprocket or the chain itelf?
nice oak.

How did I miss this thread? It's got chainsaw milling, a 3120, and a 42" Oregon bar, whats not to like?

The Granberg way of doing the aux oiler is to drill in through the bar, just under the groove so oil can flow into the groove. They then use a bolt that has been drilled lengthwise nearly all the way through, then crossdrilled at the bottom where the bolt would pass by the chain groove.

Mark

Latest posts

Back