New Homelite 750 Pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So min order was 10, making them 250 each. Are they pre-sold at that price? How many people stepped up. $250 is A LOT of money.

Hi ,,I am new to this site,,and have a Homelite 750 ,which needs a good piston..I have been trying to find
a piston for sale,,but ,,have been waiting..and it seems a few others that I have contacted need one,,
I am now doing what you did,,some years ago,,guess it was,,talking to Wiseco about having a set of 12 of these
pistons built ,,They would build it from the damaged piston that I send them..
I am trying to find out whether now ,,in 2015 how much demand there would be for these pistons ,,if I pay to
have a set of them made; also where to post this issue on your website..

If they're made to factory piston specs, they'll be too big, just like the ones Baileys had made for various models. Forged pistons expand significantly more than cast stock pistons and will scuff/seize if not made smaller. Leeha would be a good one to talk to. He had 166 pistons made with great success. Give them the bore and clearance required for a forged piston. If you get some made, I would possibly be interested in one.

Coming from a background of custom one-off auto racing engines....

Get your pistons made of 4032 alloy or another, 2-stroke friendly alloy being used currently if not already planned and possibly have the skirts coated.

If you use the 2618 alloy they will require much looser clearances and also will wear the ring lands out much faster, requiring replacement much sooner.....

If you have any custom part made you need to make sure you are comfortable with NEVER selling a single one. It does not matter what part it is. It does not amtter what the prive is. It does not matter how many guys say they will buy one BEFORE they are built and the after they know they are available they back peddle away.

Reply to Bill G..Okay , Bill thanks for the help..you gave me a specific address to go to,,and I did
and I found this stuff,,I do think I had seen it all before,,but now I know which one was
your reply to my converstion , and I get what you are saying about ordering a part made,etc.
Tom

I'm looking for a 750 piston as well, so there are afew of us in need. PM me if something is started

I have one real one new if they need that.
Who is your contact at Wiesco as they shouldn't be forged if they can help it as forged doesn't work well in that engine configuration unless you run them REAL loose.
They didn't really work in Macs or West Bends either.
Mono block engine cylinders do not heat evenly like a removable jug engine and the cast pistons scuff and stick if not run looser than reasonable.

Usually, when running a forged piston, when you have the cylinder re-nic'd, you'll tell the plater that you are running Wiseco's so they'll make the cylinder a little larger. Cast pistons do not expand as much so can be run tighter.

Brad, you are 10000% correct!

I have designed and sold many custom forged pistons for the automotive world and you always want to make a forged piston smaller than the stock piston to allow for thermal expansion without having to bore the cylinder for the extra clearance.

When someone is trying to salvage a good ol' chainsaw and keep costs as low as possible, you would want the piston to have the clearance it needs built into the size of the new piston, thus allowing any normal user to install the custom piston into his stock bore with no other work required than maybe a quick scuffing of his cylinder to allow the new rings to seat nicely.

Wouldn't it be smarter to make theses custom pistons to fit a standard bore?

Yeah, I said pretty much what he did. I have run these on snowmachines only. You send in your jugs to be re-nic'ed and you get back a standard bore. But since the snowmachine engines are run at the ragged edge most often, a quality plater will ask if you are going to run cast or forged. Then the jug can be plated to the diameter that will perform best with the piston you have, material-wise. Cast = standard bore. Forged they'll make the bore with just a little more clearance. Now you can run Wiseco in a standard bore, but you need to warm up the motor well otherwise you'll seize the motor due to the piston expanding more quickly than the cylinder, = four-post seize. Really ruins the day too.

Back