New Husky Break-In Procedure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, I did it and ordered a Husqvarna 346XP. Promised mama I'm gonna sell off the Stihl 270, hope I made the right decision, I've been a Stihl man for years and have never even run a Husky. Anyways, what break in procedure do you guys recommend for this new saw?

Perhaps I should throw it away and buy a Stihl 260 like Muffler Bearing suggested and that way I can have another lesser performance saw. :D

Last edited:
they are kinda tricky to break in.

1. run for 30 sec at idle.
2. turn off and pump primer bulb 23 times
3. run for 45 sec at idle
4. turn off and pump primer bulb 21 times
5. run for 1 min at 4567rpm
6. turn off and pump primer 45 times

then repeat the whole procedure from the beginning until primer bulb breaks. After you bypass the primer bulb run it like any other saw

Ok, I did it and ordered a Husqvarna 346XP. Promised mama I'm gonna sell off the Stihl 270, hope I made the right decision, I've been a Stihl man for years and have never even run a Husky. Anyways, what break in procedure do you guys recommend for this new saw?

Most mfgs recommend a bit more oil (say, 40:1 instead of 50:1) for the first couple of hours. Of course, you don't want to go for extended full-power runs with a brand new saw. Periodic inspections for loose bits, etc.

You probably know just what to do, I'll bet. Enjoy it.

Nothing special to break the chain, sprocket and bar in? I've actually heard of people soaking a chain overnight in bar oil prior to using for the first time.

Grease the tip if ya want. The carb should be set to run fat from the factory...

I tell ya, I love mine. Got a tank ran thru her and she's awesome. Gettin ready to send her off to be ported. Can't really imagine this "little general" being any stronger!
I think you'll wind up saying it was the best decision you ever made.
Congrats man!

Seriously... just go cut wood... don't baby it either. No need to run the carb rich, or at half throttle, or go easy.

Go cut wood and forget about it. With each tank of fuel, you'll notice a little more power until about the 8th or 10th tank...

Chain and bar will "break in" together... chains are prestretched at the factory. But you might have a little slack after a couple hours of cutting. Just recheck your tension and you'll be good.

EZPZ Japaneezy... :)

Gary

Just run it.

If you're worried about it, just heat cycle the thing a few times in the process, by doing a few minuites of light cutting/ limbing and then shutting it down to cool for 10 Min or so.

Avoid heavy bucking(Not like you're gonna be bucking 30" Oak with a 346 anyhoo) for a couple tank fulls and just go cut some firewood.

As long as the dealer set the thing right, don't worry about setting it rich or whatever, and plain old 50:1 with GOOD mix oil is fine.

Just go cut with it. LOL!!

Heads up though. Right outta the gate the 346 can be a bit of a pooch, and wont start getting good and snotty untill you have half a dozen tankfulls through it. You'll notice it out of the blue.

They get really snotty after a Muff mod.:D
You're gonna love the new saw!!

Chain and bar break in? :bang:
Just run the things, and take a scrench.

You're gonna have to tighten things back up after the first several cuts with any new chain. All the oil needed for that chain will come out of the saw as it's used. Let the other guys sit and watch steel absorb oil...it gives 'em something to do besides play with pointy things.

Don't let the jealous Stihlheads get to ya.
They get frustrated and cranky over waiting on the MS261 Husky copy now and then.LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back