New Husqvarna hand tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to spend that much. The husky maul retails at around 70 dollars. It's made by hultsbruks and is damn near the same as the wetterlings version.

I have one of those. Doesn't split as good as a full sized heavy maul, and I can't swing it as fast or accurately as a fiskars to do the clean straight wood fast. It fits in between those two tools in my lineup. It appears well made. No idea on metallurgy but seems good. I like the wedge shape, but don't like the raised ridge down the middle of the sides. It sticks easy and I think that ridge is why.

It does have one good quality the fiskars lacks, you can drive wedges with it, steel splitting or plastic felling, designed for it, whereas fiskars you aren't supposed to hit anything with the back of the axe. And it is much lighter than toting a maul, so as an all around do everything general axe/splitter to tote into the woods with you, seems to be OK.

Lots of Game and berries in that area. I know of two very large Elderberry patches in there. I've 8 gallons of Elderberry Wine fermenting from this years harvest. Out this morning up by Up Up Lookout and found a Mountain Lion dominated area. Will likely be getting a tag and go in after this predator soon. Hayden, above Coeur d'Alene, another beautiful area.

I'm enjoying a nice Grouse Breast rice dish from todays scouting. :)

This whole area until you get on the other side of Spokane is fantastic. The Montana side over there has better fishing for trout though, far more small rivers than on this side.

I liked the fiskers, but liked the pa80 better. The fiskers seems to hurt my elbow. My firewood buddy didn't like the fiskers, but the pa80 hurt his elbow. Go figure.

I liked the fiskers, but liked the pa80 better. The fiskers seems to hurt my elbow. My firewood buddy didn't like the fiskers, but the pa80 hurt his elbow. Go figure.

Ya, hand splitting can ding up those bendy parts. Hurt mine last summer and it still isn't healed up enough to split much. Even sucks to yank start saws now, can't do any big ones, just my smaller saws.

Sorry but my time is too valuable to drive 60 miles each way plus pay tolls to visit a guy who has already made an unfavorable impression on me.

Too bad, for you. I've known Spike for a year or two, and can tell you simply that he's an honest man, who is well capable of "live and let live." If he tells me something, that's enough for me. I've been impressed with his open-mindedness and insight. Great guy to share an ale with.

Now, I'd be much more impressed with you if you could say something like "Maybe my judgement was hasty." Not going to war about some mass-produced knick-nack would be a plus.

Ya, hand splitting can ding up those bendy parts. Hurt mine last summer and it still isn't healed up enough to split much. Even sucks to yank start saws now, can't do any big ones, just my smaller saws.
When you heal Try A different splitter for awhile. I know you liked the fiskers, but after many long sessions with it my elbow was junk for months. With the pa80 the same work doesn't bother me. I know you are much smaller than me so maybe the smaller husky would be good for you.

Too bad, for you. I've known Spike for a year or two, and can tell you simply that he's an honest man, who is well capable of "live and let live." If he tells me something, that's enough for me. I've been impressed with his open-mindedness and insight. Great guy to share an ale with.

Now, I'd be much more impressed with you if you could say something like "Maybe my judgement was hasty." Not going to war about some mass-produced knick-nack would be a plus.
John, I've got no interest in rekindling last week's excitement and that's all I'm going to say.

PS I do own 3 Hults Bruk axes and a hatchet but only one plastic wondertool. Perhaps there's hope I might come back to the light side of the force someday. :D

When you heal Try A different splitter for awhile. I know you liked the fiskers, but after many long sessions with it my elbow was junk for months. With the pa80 the same work doesn't bother me. I know you are much smaller than me so maybe the smaller husky would be good for you.

I think I wore my elbow out with the sledge and maul doing nasty pieces. I use fiskars, sledge and maul, then I got the husky spitting axe/maul, use all of them.

Need more from in the woods trees, these wolf trees I have been doing that grow in the open or edge of fields are nasty twisty. I am just going to noodle a *lot* more in the future.

I split an hour or two a day, and sometimes let 3 to 4 days pass between. The body isn't as springy as it once was. But there's also the use it or lose it, so will keep at it until I absolutely cannot.

Latest posts

Back